Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historyafficianado View Post
Actually, I think, currently, German heritage outnumbers Scandinavian in WA state by a significant degree. However, despite the current cultural make-up, it looks like Scandinavian settlers (much as the Scots-Irish in the South) had a cultural influence here that was probably adapted by other groups earlier on and became a norm.

Here's a similar profile of Germany. I've noticed that the modern, post-reunification, Germans are more laid back and approachable than their cultural stereotypes portray.
Expatriate Life in Germany | Latest News, Articles, Reviews and Q&A @ ExpatriateLife.com

I would have to say that while it is true that the Germans are a bit more laid back and approachable than they were a decade or so ago, they are still much more formal than most North Americans.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:02 PM

98 posts, read 102,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
[/url]

I would have to say that while it is true that the Germans are a bit more laid back and approachable than they were a decade or so ago, they are still much more formal than most North Americans.
Yep, you could probably add the German influence to the list of culturally influenced regional traits as well.

Again, I wasn't trying to denigrate Scandinavia or its culture, just pointing out similarities found in the NW that aren't evident in many other parts of the United States that didn't have the same cultural influence from there and why some transplants from other areas may find this place socially "different" while some locals respond either that they don't see the differences or that they think everywhere is like here.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:54 PM

59 posts, read 168,974 times
Sure, Seattle's not Dayton Ohio (even though it needs to catch up with Columbus), but it's also not a North American Tokyo compared to other cities either, even though much of the local perception and media image is that Seattle is technologically and socially more advanced than other parts of the U.S.

I think, back to the original point, someone commented on how people here seem to see themselves as superior when compared to the rest of the country -- relative isolation, I think, allows this perception to persist.
Being from Austin...and having a job offer from a Beverton, OR company pending...I can guarantee that Seattle self perception that they are superior is fundamentally flawed...everyone knows us Texans are superior to all the other 49 states.

By the way, as the second most literate city, do people here feel intimidated if a transplanted Minnesotan joins their local book club?
What about a well educated Texan???

Seattle is ranked the 4th fastest growing large metro area, however, and the 5th highest concentration of biotech -- so, it's not a provincial backwater by any means.
In Pictures: America's Fastest-Growing Large And Small Metros - Forbes.com

Old 03-18-2008, 11:46 AM

Aversion to transplants as "outsiders" by locals generally makes it hard for newcomers to want to enjoy and be proud of living in Washington.

I know that the half dozen or so transplants who really love this place and post about it on here will disagree and talk about how proud they are to live here, etc. That's fine and valid.

However, it would be great if the local mentality would change in favor of more inclusion toward people from other places. I doubt it will change, however, unless the volume of transplants to the greater Seattle area truly outnumbers the natives to the point that a notable culture change is possible.

In other high influx continental U.S. cities, I've noticed, even the term "transplant," outside of medical terminology, isn't used that much and people don't differentiate where others are from so much as how they view the individuals for their own merits.

Last edited by HistoryAficionado; 03-18-2008 at 12:01 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
The whole notion of residents being hostile towards transplants is overblown IMO. 20 years ago yes, but not now. Is there still a small vocal contigent - yes. But the majority of native residents 35 and under have no problem with transplants. If you solely associate with wrinkled up old codgers who are more dead than alive (50 and up), than you probably will still hear the pathetic lamentations of the Greater Seattleite.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
The whole notion of residents being hostile towards transplants is overblown IMO. 20 years ago yes, but not now. Is there still a small vocal contigent - yes. But the majority of native residents 35 and under have no problem with transplants. If you solely associate with wrinkled up old codgers who are more dead than alive (50 and up), than you probably will still hear the pathetic lamentations of the Greater Seattleite.
Yeah, geez, all that geezbaggery and discontent up here.

However, I don't associate much with the senior crowd that you describe.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:33 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Since when is 50 old...? I'm over 50, but I'm not anywhere near "old"! LOL

Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I was gonna say " Hey!" I'm over fifty and I'm only 1/4 dead."

Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
I guess that describes me too. I didn't think that I was that wrinkled up ...and more dead than alive! Jeez. ------------------i just had to edit out some 4-letter words.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Age is a state of mind. Look at Madonna! Wow!

This is a weird and wacky place here... the Seattle and Eastside area. We just got the word that we're finally moving back to where we came from. Yay. BIG YAY! I can't say that we'll miss this place, but it has left it's impression. I'll never gripe about traffic, small parking places, no parking places, rain, more rain, being cold in the rain, rude driver's, things being too expensive, or rude people again. Well - at least, before I do... I'll remind myself what living here was like and remember that things could be worse.

So long, Seattle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area