Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 09:17 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Some golden words of wisdom: Harder the shell, softer the center, softer the shell, harder the center.

When you have to put on an act to look/talk tough, you're not! The toughest people never have to advertise how tough they are! As they say: loud man goes down first in a bar, and with Trump, one punch and he'd be lying on the floor with the peanut shells!

Inside Trump is a big pile of Jello!

So how could anyone bug out over a pile of Jello?

It makes no difference who gets into office, this country is on an unstoppable path to self-destruction and eventual anarchy! So get ready!
Just another example of people making up things out of thin air, having no real interest in facts or knowledge about the guy.

Every single person who's ever negotiated a deal with him has said he's a brutally successful negotiator. It's hilarious that anyone thinks his mentor and BFF was Roy Cohn and he's got no skills? Even his haters admit he's got his killer skills.

And all you have to do is look at his one casual trip to Mexico wherein he and the Pres had a joint press conference which had the guy agreeing to needing a wall. LOL.

Then of course all his detractors were snarking that he didn't get the guy to agree to PAY, because those people never negotiated anything in their lives. Or would be an easy mark walking into any car dealership.

This will be resolved at the ballot box - at this point people like me couldn't care less if others hate him, his policies, his supporters, or not.

I went eight years never ONCE watching or listening to a single Obama speech or press conference so ya'll can do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 09:18 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Some golden words of wisdom: Harder the shell, softer the center, softer the shell, harder the center.

BTW, nobody says that. And even in the dog world it's completely untrue.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:51 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I went eight years never ONCE watching or listening to a single Obama speech or press conference so ya'll can do the same.
Me too! I was startled quite recently to see how gray he's gotten! I thought he was still a young man!

Old 09-27-2016, 11:52 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Of course you count!

I was trying to point out to him that as a group, we tend to be older and not likely to be swayed politically, nor to be lured back to city life, and certainly not interested in gubmint handouts. You are not the one trying to insist that everybody should fit into that mold!
There is a difference between one personally needing a government handout and one supporting policies that provide certain social safety nets. I have my own business, don't rely on the government in ways above and beyond what you do (military protection, for instance) and employ other Americans. However, that doesn't mean I can't recognize that other people are sometimes born with less or face more than I have. Coming from a troubled background in which there is little parental stability and little valuing of education, having a low IQ due to genetics or simply being faced with life circumstances that make advanced education unlikely are all very real obstacles. Before someone cites some person they know or some famous person such as Oprah who has overcome long odds, I must point out that such people are the exception and not the norm. They often have high IQs rather than low IQs, and that point is very important when discussing life outcomes.

Supporting certain policies that provide social safety nets does not mean one is himself lazy. Consider the political philosophy of John Rawls, probably the most admired political philosopher in at least a century. He suggested that we should imagine we are behind a "veil of ignorance" in which we don't know what our station in life will be -- we would have no knowledge of our economic advantages, intellectual abilities, skin color, life circumstances, etc. How would we structure the world? One conclusion he argued for, and I believe it to be correct, is that we would care more about ensuring we had basic needs met than providing opportunities for luxury. Rawls doesn't argue that no one should have the opportunity to work hard and have more than the next guy, but he instead says that such differences in society should be structured in such a way that they improve the standing of the lowest in society. In other words, it's fine that doctors make more than mechanics because that will attract talented people into the field of medicine and improve care for all.

My point is simply that I think some people on this board are wishing society was structured differently based solely on their own standing. They have enough resources to be independent and require nothing, so they are unwilling to pay into a system that provides support for those who don't. It is easy to imagine that they could have either been born with different skills or faced different life adversities and not be in the situation they are currently in. For instance, you (Nor' Eastah) told me a couple days ago that society shouldn't "subsidize" my health care simply because I have a very expensive pre-existing condition. There is no way you would believe that if you yourself had a pre-existing condition. Your view on that issue is entirely determined by your own lot in life. Had you been struck with a random, expensive and chronic condition, you wouldn't think such people should be on their own.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:00 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Just another example of people making up things out of thin air, having no real interest in facts or knowledge about the guy.

Every single person who's ever negotiated a deal with him has said he's a brutally successful negotiator. It's hilarious that anyone thinks his mentor and BFF was Roy Cohn and he's got no skills? Even his haters admit he's got his killer skills.

And all you have to do is look at his one casual trip to Mexico wherein he and the Pres had a joint press conference which had the guy agreeing to needing a wall. LOL.

Then of course all his detractors were snarking that he didn't get the guy to agree to PAY, because those people never negotiated anything in their lives. Or would be an easy mark walking into any car dealership.

This will be resolved at the ballot box - at this point people like me couldn't care less if others hate him, his policies, his supporters, or not.

Yep.

Your username is the best. Cracks me up every time I see it.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:01 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times
Quote:

Being a good negotiator is a mostly-overrated trait in a president. Trump has simply marketed himself as a negotiator, thus convincing millions of Americans that is a relevant skill set. It is much more important that a president has good ideology and pursues policies that are beneficial. My guess is that this concern for negotiating skill has arisen out of the Iran deal, but such sentiments show an ignorance about the negotiating process and facts of that deal. That deal was negotiated with dozens of other countries, and Iran has quite a large amount of leverage. Perhaps the deal could have been better and perhaps it could not have been. None of us here are probably privy to enough inside information to really have a strong opinion on that. However, it is clear that negotiating alongside dozens of other countries regarding a nuclear deal is very unlike negotiating a piece of property.

If you were to make a list of important traits for a president to have, negotiating wouldn't even be on it. Far more Americans are impacted, for better or worse, by ideology (see: Obamacare, Supreme Court appointees, not defending DOMA, tax policies, etc.).

Caring greatly about negotiating skill just makes you a pawn in Trump's hand. His marketing attempts are obvious, talking constantly about "winning" and using the word "strong" repeatedly. That's just marketing, nothing more.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Still waiting to see how this thread has one damn thing to do with self sufficiency or preparedness.

Most of us that work to take care of ourselves work hard so that government doesn't take everything we've ever worked for, and so we can weather the storm when ideologies fall to dust taking society with it.

I wouldn't be afraid of a Trump presidency, but I would be very afraid of Hillary simply because of her stances and the fact the next president could appoint up to 4 supreme court justices, packing the court to destroy the Constitutional rights we all have.

If Trump wins, we go on. If Hillary wins, better have your preps in place and a good place to hide your firearms.

Otherwise, politics is simply the practice of yelling louder than the other guy, mostly hyperbole with nearly 0 impact on the daily life of most people.
It's only when the Constitution is threatened, or confiscatory taxes are raised that it becomes personal.

Do I trust either candidate? Not really, but I see Trump as having fewer negative impacts than Hillary.

My stocks are already in place, my livestock, my cabin and homes, my food stores, water systems, heating systems, all set up and in use. I have alternative forms of creating valuable tools, weapons, or other items for barter as needed, my wife and I have skills for taking care of my family medically, I have some precious metals and can mine more if I need.
I'm in a lot better shape to handle the negative impacts of government than a lot of folks, but that's because I don't have any use for them in the first place.

Maybe it would be a good thing if Hillary got in and collapsed the economy, then folks would have to learn to work again instead of texting each other on their smart phones and drinking latte's instead of getting their hands dirty with actual labor.
I look at the 1920's and how the market collapse reset the clock on America creating the Greatest Generation.
All I know is, no matter who wins, I take care of my own. Always have, always will.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:29 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Being a good negotiator is a mostly-overrated trait in a president. Trump has simply marketed himself as a negotiator, thus convincing millions of Americans that is a relevant skill set. It is much more important that a president has good ideology and pursues policies that are beneficial. My guess is that this concern for negotiating skill has arisen out of the Iran deal, but such sentiments show an ignorance about the negotiating process and facts of that deal. That deal was negotiated with dozens of other countries, and Iran has quite a large amount of leverage. Perhaps the deal could have been better and perhaps it could not have been. None of us here are probably privy to enough inside information to really have a strong opinion on that. However, it is clear that negotiating alongside dozens of other countries regarding a nuclear deal is very unlike negotiating a piece of property.

If you were to make a list of important traits for a president to have, negotiating wouldn't even be on it. Far more Americans are impacted, for better or worse, by ideology (see: Obamacare, Supreme Court appointees, not defending DOMA, tax policies, etc.).

Caring greatly about negotiating skill just makes you a pawn in Trump's hand. His marketing attempts are obvious, talking constantly about "winning" and using the word "strong" repeatedly. That's just marketing, nothing more.
If you call what he did in the debate last night as marketing, then in his own words he should look in the mirror and say: "You're Fired".

This was his first chance in a one-on-one debate to show the voting public what he stands for.

WAY BACK in the beginning, I was a Trump supporter. I liked the idea of a businessman running the show so to speak. I blindly believed that change meant nothing more than not putting another Washington politician into office. But last night, I saw more than a man unprepared. I saw more than someone who did highlight his supposed negotiating skills. What I saw was someone running for POTUS with no substance to actually perform the job at hand. Either he just actually forgets what he says on the past or he lies about it, hanging only onto what he said today. He had a chance to show the American public what it would be like for a businessman to be in power. It was surely a poor job.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:29 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Still waiting to see how this thread has one damn thing to do with self sufficiency or preparedness.

Most of us that work to take care of ourselves work hard so that government doesn't take everything we've ever worked for, and so we can weather the storm when ideologies fall to dust taking society with it.

I wouldn't be afraid of a Trump presidency, but I would be very afraid of Hillary simply because of her stances and the fact the next president could appoint up to 4 supreme court justices, packing the court to destroy the Constitutional rights we all have.

If Trump wins, we go on. If Hillary wins, better have your preps in place and a good place to hide your firearms.

Otherwise, politics is simply the practice of yelling louder than the other guy, mostly hyperbole with nearly 0 impact on the daily life of most people.
It's only when the Constitution is threatened, or confiscatory taxes are raised that it becomes personal.

Do I trust either candidate? Not really, but I see Trump as having fewer negative impacts than Hillary.

My stocks are already in place, my livestock, my cabin and homes, my food stores, water systems, heating systems, all set up and in use. I have alternative forms of creating valuable tools, weapons, or other items for barter as needed, my wife and I have skills for taking care of my family medically, I have some precious metals and can mine more if I need.
I'm in a lot better shape to handle the negative impacts of government than a lot of folks, but that's because I don't have any use for them in the first place.

Maybe it would be a good thing if Hillary got in and collapsed the economy, then folks would have to learn to work again instead of texting each other on their smart phones and drinking latte's instead of getting their hands dirty with actual labor.
I look at the 1920's and how the market collapse reset the clock on America creating the Greatest Generation.
All I know is, no matter who wins, I take care of my own. Always have, always will.
The bold is an interesting scenario, MTS.

Like you, I have no use for them either and have done my best to ensure they have no use for me either! So ... whatever.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,841 times
Hillary and trump, close allies.. wake up.. There are 2 other parties.. This 2 party sham needs to end.. republicans and dems have done nothing for the working class in decades.. I am voting Green, i am against killing the innocent , and i am sicken by the Bush/Obama wars ... Hillary will just continue , war .. Iran and Russia next? IMO , every single Congressman in office needs to be voted out. that is where the real issue is..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness