Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2016, 07:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Cue Twilight Zone theme...
What a thoughtful, factual and serious retort.

It's a simple concept. As long as your self determination is thwarted by corrupt politicians it's not the AMERICA that was founded. It's amazing to me that so many citizens are fighting to GIVE UP their rights, but not really after a generation or two of brainwashing.

And as long as AMERICA is bound by Any INTERNATIONAL LAWS, and subordinated to some international powers by international corruptocrats, it's no longer America.

FREEDOM FROM GOVERNMENT.

You can't even FIND a place to put a "Tiny House" - thanks to government regulations and growth restrictions - even though HGTV has a huge series on them and runs it 24/7. NOTICE: Everyone is parking it on "friends' property". There are a handful of ORGANIZED parks for them around the country. Only in some very remote places say, like, in Maine can you sneak one in - on some random lot - even if you BUY the property. There are other threads on CD on this very subject. Citizens threatened with government legal action because they want independence.

Meanwhile in some urban spaces, government is thrilled to suggest importing immigrants to fill up substandard or vacant housing WHY? To spend our tax dollars in exchange for votes from government dependent people.

I guess you don't believe in the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness concept since every one of my items were strictly addressing what preppers care about, require AND acknowledge are at risk - big ticket items. And even if people here who aren't meeting the strict definition of "prepper" but just wanting to live a self determination type of life are impacted. But you call it Twilight Zone. So why even post on this type of subforum? Weird to me.

Self Determination
Water
Food
Energy
Property Rights / homesteading
Transportation/Mobility
Guns & Ammo

Perhaps the OP, when using the term "bug-out", didn't really understand it's a formal term for a specific set of circumstances and has nothing to do with becoming an expat.

Or staying in your house buying gold - which will get you exactly nothing.

Of course, generally the public has no idea or interest in what's going on and lives by reading headlines. Let alone actually LISTEN to Obama's UN or other press conferences with other leaders.

Obama's Degrowthing of the US speech to the UN (in Animal Farm doublespeak):

“I am convinced that in the long run, giving up some freedom of action—not giving up our ability to protect ourselves or pursue our core interests, but binding ourselves to international rules over the long term—enhances our security.” Barrack Obama

President Obama's Final United Nations Speech: Transcript

Three Stooges:

“We’re going to do more to speak with one, united North American voice on the world stage,” said Obama.

President Obama holds press conference with Canadian, Mexican leaders | FOX 61

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFsrGU0o0Jc

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-28-2016 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
What a thoughtful, factual and serious retort.

It's a simple concept. As long as your self determination is thwarted by corrupt politicians it's not the AMERICA that was founded. It's amazing to me that so many citizens are fighting to GIVE UP their rights, but not really after a generation or two of brainwashing.

And as long as AMERICA is bound by Any INTERNATIONAL LAWS, and subordinated to some international powers by international corruptocrats, it's no longer America.

FREEDOM FROM GOVERNMENT.

You can't even FIND a place to put a "Tiny House" - thanks to government regulations and growth restrictions - even though HGTV has a huge series on them and runs it 24/7. NOTICE: Everyone is parking it on "friends' property". There are a handful of ORGANIZED parks for them around the country. Only in some very remote places say, like, in Maine can you sneak one in - on some random lot - even if you BUY the property. There are other threads on CD on this very subject. Citizens threatened with government legal action because they want independence.

Meanwhile in some urban spaces, government is thrilled to suggest importing immigrants to fill up substandard or vacant housing WHY? To spend our tax dollars in exchange for votes from government dependent people.

I guess you don't believe in the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness concept since every one of my items were strictly addressing what preppers care about, require AND acknowledge are at risk - big ticket items. And even if people here who aren't meeting the strict definition of "prepper" but just wanting to live a self determination type of life are impacted. But you call it Twilight Zone. So why even post on this type of subforum? Weird to me.

Self Determination
Water
Food
Energy
Property Rights / homesteading
Transportation/Mobility
Guns & Ammo

Perhaps the OP, when using the term "bug-out", didn't really understand it's a formal term for a specific set of circumstances and has nothing to do with becoming an expat.

Or staying in your house buying gold - which will get you exactly nothing.

Of course, generally the public has no idea or interest in what's going on and lives by reading headlines. Let alone actually LISTEN to Obama's UN or other press conferences with other leaders.

Obama's Degrowthing of the US speech to the UN (in Animal Farm doublespeak):

“I am convinced that in the long run, giving up some freedom of action—not giving up our ability to protect ourselves or pursue our core interests, but binding ourselves to international rules over the long term—enhances our security.” Barrack Obama

President Obama's Final United Nations Speech: Transcript

Three Stooges:

“We’re going to do more to speak with one, united North American voice on the world stage,” said Obama.

President Obama holds press conference with Canadian, Mexican leaders | FOX 61

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFsrGU0o0Jc

from the way the OP made the thread, I would say that he is just trying to troll the forum. looking to inflame the passions of those on the SS&P forum

Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
I'll celebrate! Between Obama going out of office, and Hillary NOT going in- what better reasons to celebrate!!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:04 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
And "bugging out" is "giving a crap about your fellow Americans"???

....or is VOTING FOR HILLARY how we're supposed to "give a crap about our fellow Americans"?? Seems to me, this is just another political thread that the mods should move to Politics and Other Controversies. You won't get any converts or drum up any votes for Hillary here!
You can be just as American in Montana or Alaska as you can in New York or Georgia. The question is personal safety, not patriotism.

It baffles me that people can prep for something as remote as Yellowstone erupting, while ignoring the fact that the economy of the whole world, starting with the USA, is built on a house of cards. The only reason things are stable is that whole nations have built their well-being on protecting that stability. Their only option to the US hegemony is to throw their countries into deep recessions,which would throw a match into the powder keg. If you destabilize the world enough, the US could very possibly see nuclear strikes on our soil. Everybody has airplanes and missiles nowadays, and a distressing number of nations have nuclear weapons that are out of our control. Our whole national infrastructure is wide open and vulnerable to sabotage. The only reason it's not happening right now is that it is in the interest of very powerful people all over the world for it not to happen. Elect an ignorant and autocratic man to the US presidency and that could change.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:08 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
what's the problem?..He's gonna make America great again..what more do ya want?
Kim Jung un will no longer be the most ridiculous leader of a country.Hopefully the world will want to build a wall...around the U.S.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,182,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Still waiting to see how this thread has one damn thing to do with self sufficiency or preparedness.

Most of us that work to take care of ourselves work hard so that government doesn't take everything we've ever worked for, and so we can weather the storm when ideologies fall to dust taking society with it.

I wouldn't be afraid of a Trump presidency, but I would be very afraid of Hillary simply because of her stances and the fact the next president could appoint up to 4 supreme court justices, packing the court to destroy the Constitutional rights we all have.

If Trump wins, we go on. If Hillary wins, better have your preps in place and a good place to hide your firearms.

Otherwise, politics is simply the practice of yelling louder than the other guy, mostly hyperbole with nearly 0 impact on the daily life of most people.
It's only when the Constitution is threatened, or confiscatory taxes are raised that it becomes personal.

Do I trust either candidate? Not really, but I see Trump as having fewer negative impacts than Hillary.

My stocks are already in place, my livestock, my cabin and homes, my food stores, water systems, heating systems, all set up and in use. I have alternative forms of creating valuable tools, weapons, or other items for barter as needed, my wife and I have skills for taking care of my family medically, I have some precious metals and can mine more if I need.
I'm in a lot better shape to handle the negative impacts of government than a lot of folks, but that's because I don't have any use for them in the first place.

Maybe it would be a good thing if Hillary got in and collapsed the economy, then folks would have to learn to work again instead of texting each other on their smart phones and drinking latte's instead of getting their hands dirty with actual labor.
I look at the 1920's and how the market collapse reset the clock on America creating the Greatest Generation.
All I know is, no matter who wins, I take care of my own. Always have, always will.
Oh, another prepper who is hoping for an economic meltdown so he can actually use all of the stuff he has stored. You don't say! People of your stripe have been hoping for the worst for years, and I highly suspect it is so you can go play pioneer dress up in the woods. The economy is very strong right now. I think the chances of such a meltdown are extremely low regardless of who is elected.

As for the rest of your post: No one is coming for your guns. Perhaps there will be some new gun regulations, but they would almost certainly only pertain to the buying and selling of certain types of guns such as an AR, along with perhaps increased background checks. Think about the effect that would have on your life -- does it really outweigh all of the other considerations? Not a chance in hell.

If you were to make a list of the top 100 issues that actually affect the daily lives of people, the ability to buy and sell "assault rifles" or buy guns without a background check is small potatoes.

Trump doesn't believe in climate change, for instance. Climate change is going to affect billions of people across the globe, and the president of the US must be the most influential person in the world on this issue. He doesn't even believe it exists, despite mountains of scientific evidence to the contrary.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:03 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,073,538 times
Quote:
I know not all are like that, I have a niece and 3 nephews from 7 - 22 and all of them do fine, mostly because they were raised far from a lot of the influence of modern society. They were ranch kids, they had to work, they had responsibility, they had to know how to fix equipment, care for livestock, how to get wood for the fire and how to keep a garden.
There are other kids they bring around that come from good families in the same area, and most of them will be fine citizens, but I live in a very rural state that is under constant attack from the SJW trying to bring us down to their low level of depravity.

I don't lump all millennials into one stereotypical grouping, but there are more than enough that fit that description to create that impression.
Just look at the "safe spaces" and other crap coming out of the colleges, I remember the boomers that were hippies in the 60's having to learn to work in the 70's and 80's, and some couldn't make the transition. There are useless people in every generation, no question, it just seems the helicopter moms culture has created a generation that cannot function without a smart phone in their hand. They have no social skills, they can't make change, money means nothing because they've never had to earn it.
They have no problem solving skills, no common sense. They've never been held accountable for their actions, it's always someone else's fault they got in trouble.

I don't like to pick on a generation, but the same thinking that produced that bunch is why we have 2 misfits as our major candidates for president. No responsibility for what they've done, never held accountable, lies mean nothing, criminal activity is winked at and passed without consequences. We've learned that standards are no longer required to be put in a position of public trust.

Any wonder I have such a sour outlook on the future?

I'll end up voting for Trump this year, not because he's the best candidate or will bring the most to the office, but because I believe he'll do the least damage.
What a great recommendation for a president huh?

There isn't anybody positive running I can support, not the stoner Johnson, the old hippy Stein, or any of the others.

It's a sad state of affairs.
I agree with you. I took a hiatus similar to yours earlier this month, which is something I do regularly. I am expecting a Hillary presidency (by any means necessary). I haven't decided if I will disconnect from the internet entirely or keep it to watch Hillary's America implode.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:46 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Oh, another prepper who is hoping for an economic meltdown so he can actually use all of the stuff he has stored. You don't say! People of your stripe have been hoping for the worst for years, and I highly suspect it is so you can go play pioneer dress up in the woods. The economy is very strong right now. I think the chances of such a meltdown are extremely low regardless of who is elected.

As for the rest of your post: No one is coming for your guns. Perhaps there will be some new gun regulations, but they would almost certainly only pertain to the buying and selling of certain types of guns such as an AR, along with perhaps increased background checks. Think about the effect that would have on your life -- does it really outweigh all of the other considerations? Not a chance in hell.

If you were to make a list of the top 100 issues that actually affect the daily lives of people, the ability to buy and sell "assault rifles" or buy guns without a background check is small potatoes.

Trump doesn't believe in climate change, for instance. Climate change is going to affect billions of people across the globe, and the president of the US must be the most influential person in the world on this issue. He doesn't even believe it exists, despite mountains of scientific evidence to the contrary.
Wow, another hillarybot with no idea of what self sufficiency or preparedness is.

First off, where did I say I had any guns? I hunt with archery tackle, I don't buy or use ARs. That said, Hillary has often said she wants a gun confiscation program similar to Australia's, which would violate the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution.
So your straw man argument is fallacious at best.

I ranch, so I can "Dress up like a Pioneer" or any other way I want any damn time I want. I don't need either an excuse nor permission from anyone.
I don't hope for economic collapse because it would hurt a lot of good people as well as the uniformed bots that vote for Hillary. I do feel certain that if she is elected, those contingency plans may be all that stand between my family and starvation, so I plan as I see the information, and Hillary would just be another Obama, a train wreck in other words which we don't need.
The economy is the weakest it's been since the 70's, much better than when Obama took office yes, but still far below the standards of the early 2000's.

The desperation of the leftists for anything to try and steer the US away from prosperity is funny in a sad sort of way. For 8 years now, your guy has done everything in his power to destroy this country, but it's still standing, and will continue no matter how bad your side tries to make it.

Global warming is BS. Pure and simple. During the Medieval Warming period, temperatures were much warmer with no negative impacts.
During the Little Ice Age, there were negative impacts, but we survived them as well. Making algore rich and destroying manufacturing in this country for a purely political agenda does not constitute any part of my "list of the top 100 issues that actually affect the daily lives of people,"

You vote for whoever you want to, I'll do the same.

Your whining on this board will in no way influence any thinking person into subjugating themselves to the horror that would be a Hillary administration and vote against their own interests by supporting her.

Go back to the politics board. This board is for people that actually plan for their future and how to survive the slings and arrows of the political elite that want us back in servitude to their elitist philosophy.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:11 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
First off, where did I say I had any guns? I hunt with archery tackle, I don't buy or use ARs. That said, Hillary has often said she wants a gun confiscation program similar to Australia's, which would violate the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution.
I don't think there's much difference between Trump and Clinton on guns. Trump's position is, "We have to take their guns away from them." (Direct quote from the debate.)

Old 09-28-2016, 11:54 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
With the election polls evening up, it looks like there is a real possibility that Trump might win. If he does, life in the good old US of A will change radically.

1. He will let congress cancel Obamacare. Health insurance companies will shed high risk clients like a golden retriever sheds water after a swim. Right now, 90% of Americans have health insurance. A year after Trump we'll be back to the pre-Obamacare 70%, and the ones who get dumped are the ones who are really sick.

2. Congress is itching to shed Medicare. If we end up with Ryan's voucher plan, it's going to get expensive fast.

3. His tax cuts for the rich program will bump our national debt from 80% of GDP to 102% of GDP in 10 years. On the plus side, a massive government borrow-and-spend program might finally bring down the dollar, at the cost of rapid inflation. If he really manages to default on foreign debt like he says, the dollar will turn into toilet paper overnight.

I have never been much into metals, but I think if Trump gets elected it will be time to buy gold and silver. I'm really hoping that congress buys the $650 million debt he owes to the Russians and Muslims. It's uncomfortable to think of the US president's finances being in the hands of Russians and Muslim religious fanatics. He has already said that he wants to give the Arabs nukes, and that would let the nut cases in the Middle East start a nuclear war. If that happens it really will be TEOTWAWKI.

What kind of plans are you making?
I am digging a deep bunker and filling it with acorns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness