Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 02:07 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My problem is not only with people holding up lines, but people shopping in the stores. I find that far too many people will park their carts right in the middle of an aisle, thereby preventing me and other shoppers from getting through with our carts! It's very frustrating and makes me wonder why so many shoppers are so inconsiderate.
Oh, I have said this, too. I don't understand how some operate.. parking carts in an aisle or standing between me and a shelf as I am about to make a selection, without excusing themselves, as I am invisible. I think most people do not do this, often hearing "excuse me", as I say, too. I find it simpler to park my cart out of the way outside of an aisle then walk down, unless no one is around then still pull my cart to one side.

There are those I think who were not taught consideration and seem to have no awareness of others. (Not unlike ones who are thoughtless, disrespectful neighbors).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:29 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Do they tell you to bag up stuff for customers at your store? That's a pet peeve that i've been experiencing at self checkout lately. I frequently have to shoo away employees that come over and start grabbing my stuff.
If i wanted someone to bag my stuff, i wouldn't use the self checkout!!!
No, we don't bag customers items at self checkout. Who has time for that? We are usually running from scanner to scanner doing age checks, etc.. I use self checkout just because I don't like how people bag my 'stuff'.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My problem is not only with people holding up lines, but people shopping in the stores. I find that far too many people will park their carts right in the middle of an aisle, thereby preventing me and other shoppers from getting through with our carts! It's very frustrating and makes me wonder why so many shoppers are so inconsiderate.

Something else I've noticed at the self checkout scanners...people will NOT pull up to the next front scanner open but the FIRST one they come to. Then they park their shopping carts right in the middle of the aisle so nobody can even get to the front scanners. When two people do that it completely blocks the aisle. Now THAT is inconsiderate.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:46 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Another one that kills me is when I'm working the self checkout. There won't be anybody there so I'll be replacing bags and cleaning the scanners. Wouldn't you know, the next customer goes right straight to the one I'm working on when there are three others available. Why do they do stuff like that??
I think of it as the herding factor, when people see other people they head for them. I'm sure you've noticed that one or two people start heading for the checkout, the next thing you see is that practically everyone else in the store decides it's time to head for the checkout too. One minute nothing, five minutes later lines everywhere, lol! I think it's the same reason you can be the only person on the aisle, but the moment you stop to grab an item someone comes from around the corner and stops their cart right beside yours and blocking the entire aisle off. I have never understood why people do that!
As a supervisor, the one I like is when I'm at an auxiliary register/computer ordering something or fixing something for a customer and someone walks past the actual cashier and say's "oh they look busy (dusting, straightening the gum, some silly thing) but you're just standing there so you can ring me up" I'm standing there mashing a bunch of buttons and typing, does it not occur to you that I am busy doing something too?

Old 01-19-2015, 11:51 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Oh, I have said this, too. I don't understand how some operate.. parking carts in an aisle or standing between me and a shelf as I am about to make a selection, without excusing themselves, as I am invisible. I think most people do not do this, often hearing "excuse me", as I say, too. I find it simpler to park my cart out of the way outside of an aisle then walk down, unless no one is around then still pull my cart to one side.

There are those I think who were not taught consideration and seem to have no awareness of others. (Not unlike ones who are thoughtless, disrespectful neighbors).
Yes! This has become so frustrating to the point where I have come to dislike grocery shopping at any "busy" time of the day, which are often the most "convenient" times of day. The really ridiculous thing that I see, though, is when offenders take issue with your asking them to please move their cart to the side so that you may pass

Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Something else I've noticed at the self checkout scanners...people will NOT pull up to the next front scanner open but the FIRST one they come to. Then they park their shopping carts right in the middle of the aisle so nobody can even get to the front scanners. When two people do that it completely blocks the aisle. Now THAT is inconsiderate.
Oh, I've long come to avoid the self-checkout scanners unless I'm the only person in line. I've found that they can take much longer than a regular checkout counter as people using them either have no clue what they're doing or are way over the item limit and, thus, take forever to check out.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:55 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Since many of you don't like employee check out and some of the same ones don't like self-checkout what's your solution?

I think I'll pay my next grocery bill in dimes. How many would $150 or so take?

Old 01-19-2015, 06:51 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think of it as the herding factor, when people see other people they head for them. I'm sure you've noticed that one or two people start heading for the checkout, the next thing you see is that practically everyone else in the store decides it's time to head for the checkout too. One minute nothing, five minutes later lines everywhere, lol! I think it's the same reason you can be the only person on the aisle, but the moment you stop to grab an item someone comes from around the corner and stops their cart right beside yours and blocking the entire aisle off. I have never understood why people do that!
As a supervisor, the one I like is when I'm at an auxiliary register/computer ordering something or fixing something for a customer and someone walks past the actual cashier and say's "oh they look busy (dusting, straightening the gum, some silly thing) but you're just standing there so you can ring me up" I'm standing there mashing a bunch of buttons and typing, does it not occur to you that I am busy doing something too?

What you and some of the other "employee" posters fail to recognize is that how busy you are is not the fault or responsibility of customers who just want to get in and get out but the responsibility of your employer to make certain that their business is adequately staffed to allow their customers to get in and get out quickly and hassle free.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
I often wonder why it is that some people have yet to realize that there's an invention called the debit card. They ought to have a special line in the grocery stores for anyone stupid enough to still be using checks. I can still remember one time when somebody in front of me in line was trying to pay for a bunch of groceries with a check written on a bank in Mongolia.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:20 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What you and some of the other "employee" posters fail to recognize is that how busy you are is not the fault or responsibility of customers who just want to get in and get out but the responsibility of your employer to make certain that their business is adequately staffed to allow their customers to get in and get out quickly and hassle free.
What you apparently failed to realize was that I said the customer walks right past a cashier who is doing some little time filling nothing AT the register, on the assumption that they are sooooo busy.
Apparently they think I'm not busy because I'm "only" on a computer, apparently just standing there, and it doesn't occur to their little pea brains that I might actually be doing something at a computer terminal, even when it's obvious I AM typing at the keyboard? I'm fairly certain these are the same pea brains who walk up to the jewelry counter and want to drop a prescription off.
At that takes us back to the OP complaint, pay attention to what you're doing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products