Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think is going to win the WC in Brazil?
Brazil 19 28.79%
Argentina 10 15.15%
Spain 5 7.58%
Germany 21 31.82%
Italy 1 1.52%
Portugal 0 0%
Netherlands 1 1.52%
Other: Please post your option. 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
those victories against Hungary and Romania are more than a year old. anything that happened more than 10 matches ago and or a year ago doesn't count.
Why the hell not? Football isn't that evanescent.

Anyway, since the World Cup is more than 10 matches away this discussion is utterly pointless (according to your reasoning).

By the way, that loss against Belgium was also more than a year ago. Don't you just love the double standard?

Last edited by LindavG; 10-01-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Hungary and Romania... Real tough opposition...
Yeah, it's not Honduras or Jamaica, I'll give you that

Romania and Hungary are at least as good, if not better, than Finland.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:20 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That loss against Belgium happened right after the Euro 2012, when we fielded a team full of debutants and had a brand new manager. How did we struggle against Indonesia (3-0 win) and China (2-0 win)?
Oh, if only NL would have fielded 18 debutants in EURO 2012 they would have fared a lot better. Hup Holland etc...

Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Oh, if only NL would have fielded 18 debutants in EURO 2012 they would have fared a lot better. Hup Holland etc...
Couldn't have been much worse, now could it?

Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Couldn't have been much worse, now could it?
Nope. And I support NL in WC's and EURO's, as my country never qualifies for the major tournaments. Already brought out my HOLLAND scarf from the darkest corner of my closet.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Quote:
Why the hell not? Football isn't that evanescent.

Anyway, since the World Cup is more than 10 matches away this discussion is utterly pointless (according to your reasoning).

By the way, that loss against Belgium was also more than a year ago. Don't you just love the double standard?
You're right it is completely pointless because current form is just a snapshot of time. who knows heading into the world cup I might end up ranking spain a minnow as they collapse in their games before the cup. The belgium game was more than a year ago when I looked up the results on ESPN they were listed under 2013. okay were there any other games I used that were more than a year old?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
You're right it is completely pointless because current form is just a snapshot of time. who knows heading into the world cup I might end up ranking spain a minnow as they collapse in their games before the cup. The belgium game was more than a year ago when I looked up the results on ESPN they were listed under 2013. okay were there any other games I used that were more than a year old?
Yes, like I said the Belgium game was played right after the Euro, on August 15 2012. Your other statistics were also messed up. You claimed the NL scored 13 goals and conceded 8 in their last 8 games, whereas the real number is 18 goals scored and 4 conceded. Since that loss against Belgium, the Netherlands has played 13 games (9 W, 4 D) in which it scored 31 goals and conceded 6 goals. It may not be a top favourite for this WC but it's definitely not a "middle power" team like you suggested. To say that the Netherlands is inferior to "super powers" like Chile and Uruguay (the latter may not even qualify) is absurd.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Quote:
Yes, like I said the Belgium game was played right after the Euro, on August 15 2012. Your other statistics were also messed up. You claimed the NL scored 13 goals and conceded 8 in their last 8 games, whereas the real number is 18 goals scored and 4 conceded. Since that loss against Belgium, the Netherlands has played 13 games (9 W, 4 D) in which it scored 31 goals and conceded 6 goals. It may not be a top favourite for this WC but it's definitely not a "middle power" team like you suggested. To say that the Netherlands is inferior to "super powers" like Chile and Uruguay (the latter may not even qualify) is absurd.
can you break down the score game by game? I'll reassess holland's ranking after I see the new scores. as to your last sentence I never called Chile or Uruguay Superpowers, both teams are great powers which is one notch below superpower. The only teams that are currently superpowers are Argentina,Brazil,Spain, and Germany.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
can you break down the score game by game? I'll reassess holland's ranking after I see the new scores. as to your last sentence I never called Chile or Uruguay Superpowers, both teams are great powers which is one notch below superpower. The only teams that are currently superpowers are Argentina,Brazil,Spain, and Germany.
You said "But, when push came to shove and Italy played the other football powerhouses in Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, and Spain they generally crumbled." Which is hilarious if you compare Italy's record to Chile. You honestly think Italy and the Netherlands - the Euro finalist and WC finalist - are third tier teams (not super powers and not great powers)?

Anyway, here's the NL record since the Belgium game:

Netherlands 2-0 Turkey (WCQ)
Hungary 1-4 Netherlands (WCQ)
Netherlands 3-0 Andorra (WCQ)
Romania 1-4 Netherlands (WCQ)
Netherlands 0-0 Germany (friendly)
Netherlands 1-1 Italy (friendly)
Netherlands 3-0 Estonia (WCQ)
Netherlands 4-0 Romania (WCQ)
Indonesia 0-3 Netherlands (friendly)
China 0-2 Netherlands (friendly)
Portugal 1-1 Netherlands (friendly)
Estonia 2-2 Netherlands (WCQ)
Netherlands 2-0 Andorra (WCQ)

Old 10-02-2013, 09:11 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
What planet do you live on? Of course Italy and Holland are top tier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer