Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 04:16 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times

Advertisements

The weakest team is not better because they have bad management. Why does the league need to help them? They should help themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
The problem with this is that the weakest team would never have a chance to get better.
Exactly!! Otherwise you'll have the same teams make the playoffs and win championships. There would be no parity. It might work in foreign leagues but it just doesn't in North American sports because the weakest teams would never have a chance in improve. Many of these posters on here simply don't understand that. Just because something works in Japan, England, or Iraq when it comes to soccer, doesn't mean it will work in the United States.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:26 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
What doesn't make sense lol.
You're not "rewarded" with a first pick. It's what you're given when your team had a horrible season as pity.

Why would you give a team that already had a good season more of an advantage?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
A developing aspect of the MLS is the academies. If I was a club owner I would be all over this and focus on getting the best players in my territory into my academy. It is a way to ensure a pipeline of young talent coming in, while also making the draft less valuable.

I have followed american sports my whole life, but I really hate the draft process. I personally believe it creates an incentive to suck.

It's crazy, but i think if there is a draft, a reverse draft is the way to go...but, I am starting to lean towards killing the draft all together and making teams focus on academies and free agency. Yeah, free agency is a dirty word to the MLS...they would need to lessen their grip on player movement and salaries.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post

I have followed american sports my whole life, but I really hate the draft process. I personally believe it creates an incentive to suck.
... you think the Cleveland Browns actually like having early round picks in the NFL Draft?

This is the first time I've ever heard or seen anything like this regarding drafts. This makes no sense to me. The purpose of a draft is to give teams that couldn't win much for that particular season a better options in players in order to help them get better for the next season.

I'm very positive that they did not create that in order to encourage teams to suck.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... you think the Cleveland Browns actually like having early round picks in the NFL Draft?

This is the first time I've ever heard or seen anything like this regarding drafts. This makes no sense to me. The purpose of a draft is to give teams that couldn't win much for that particular season a better options in players in order to help them get better for the next season.

I'm very positive that they did not create that in order to encourage teams to suck.
Yes, I understand the merits of a draft and why it was instituted, but while they may not have created the system to encourage sucking as the year progresses, it surely does occur. At the end of the NFL season if your team was 3-12 and you were playing another 3-12 team, would you want your team to win or lose...especialy if there was a really strong QB available?

Look at the NBA. It is filled with teams tanking to get in the lottery or get high draft picks to trade. I actually stopped watching the NBA because I hate the disparity of the league and the system they use.

I follow the Brewers in MLB, there were many years about 15 years ago that I just wanted them to suck really bad to improve their farm system. If there was no draft, then scouting, development programs, etc would be the reasons for players to join clubs. It is kind of like recruiting in NCAA.

I think in the long run the draft will die in the MLS. Right now, teams can get players:
-Through the draft
-Through academies
-Through the DP process

The value of the draft in the MLS is much less than in other sports, and I bet it becomes even less valuable in the future.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM

358 posts, read 451,210 times
I think drafts and homegrown players can coincide in MLS. There will always be good players coming out of college that hit their development stride a little bit later, or simply decided to go to college for an education. I just don't understand why MLS players can't be drafted before they enter college, like in baseball.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:22 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
By and large, the only draft that really matters is the NFL. The NFL does not have a minor league system like they have in MLB, or the NHL. So college is really where players develop themselves. NFL teams don't have the ability to allow a player to develop for a few years in their farm system. Not to mention very few 17 and 18 year olds are physically big and strong enough to hang with guys that are 6, 7 plus years older than them. The 3 year waiting period from when a player graduates high school until they're eligible for the draft is very necessary for the NFL.

The whole DP situation in the MLS has turned into a joke when you look at a player like Dempsey. He stands to make more than 14, or 15 other MLS teams this season. If Seattle fails to win a title, or at least make the title game, one would have to view their investment as a bad one.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:44 AM

255 posts, read 402,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
I think drafts and homegrown players can coincide in MLS. There will always be good players coming out of college that hit their development stride a little bit later, or simply decided to go to college for an education. I just don't understand why MLS players can't be drafted before they enter college, like in baseball.
Yes, there will always be late bloomers coming out of college but why does that mean you need a draft to place them on a team? Let them sign with whatever club they want to (and that wants them).

The draft is an unnecessary barrier to entry that harms the development of the game in this country. Many American prospects are left with the option of entering the draft of going to Europe. When in reality the best situation for them would be to pick which club best suits them. And in most cases you'd probably find that players chose clubs who were closest to them.

I'll just say it again. There is no good argument for having a draft in a sport like soccer that is so global. Draft in the NFL? Absolutely. It's the only league on the planet that matters for that sport.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:08 AM

358 posts, read 451,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
Yes, there will always be late bloomers coming out of college but why does that mean you need a draft to place them on a team? Let them sign with whatever club they want to (and that wants them).

The draft is an unnecessary barrier to entry that harms the development of the game in this country. Many American prospects are left with the option of entering the draft of going to Europe. When in reality the best situation for them would be to pick which club best suits them. And in most cases you'd probably find that players chose clubs who were closest to them.

I'll just say it again. There is no good argument for having a draft in a sport like soccer that is so global. Draft in the NFL? Absolutely. It's the only league on the planet that matters for that sport.
I believe a draft distributes players to the teams in a fair way. Otherwise, you'd have all the best players wanting to go to Los Angeles and New York (or Miami).

I like the fact that Kansas City, Salt Lake City, and Columbus are good teams, and have the same chances and resources as the big markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer