Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 12:36 PM

255 posts, read 402,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
I believe a draft distributes players to the teams in a fair way. Otherwise, you'd have all the best players wanting to go to Los Angeles and New York (or Miami).

I like the fact that Kansas City, Salt Lake City, and Columbus are good teams, and have the same chances and resources as the big markets.
The best young players don't come through the draft. They come from academies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 02:19 PM

358 posts, read 451,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
The best young players don't come through the draft. They come from academies.
Fine, but that's not the point. As I wrote before, there will still be quality players coming out of college who either didn't have access to academies or wanted to go to college. A draft is still appropriate to fairly distribute these players.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Fine, but that's not the point. As I wrote before, there will still be quality players coming out of college who either didn't have access to academies or wanted to go to college. A draft is still appropriate to fairly distribute these players.
Why?

IT IS NOT DONE THIS WAY ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE SOCCER WORLD.

So, make a case why you think its smart to do. I can list several reasons why its actually harmful to our development. But, you go first. State your case.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Why?

IT IS NOT DONE THIS WAY ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE SOCCER WORLD.

So, make a case why you think its smart to do. I can list several reasons why its actually harmful to our development. But, you go first. State your case.
I already did. For players coming out of college, they can be fairly assigned to teams through a draft process. This is much better than players choosing themselves and flocking to the big markets, causing an unfair advantage.

There will always be players that come through college, whether you like it or not. I doesn't matter if Europeans don't play soccer in college. Americans do.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,253,091 times
Quote:
I already did. For players coming out of college, they can be fairly assigned to teams through a draft process. This is much better than players choosing themselves and flocking to the big markets, causing an unfair advantage.

There will always be players that come through college, whether you like it or not. I doesn't matter if Europeans don't play soccer in college. Americans do.
Against that argument based on the current MLS model: There is a tight salary cap, if all players went to large markets they would not have a chance to play, while there would be ample opportunities in other markets. If you don't play, you don't make money. I see making that case for entrenched top tier free agents, but not for youth players.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,253,091 times
One more point, I checked recent US TV soccer ratings, some good news, I couldn't find detailed ratings:

Premier League: Liverpool-Chelsea Game On NBCSN Most-Watched Early Match in U.S. History | World Soccer Talk

Liga MX is killing it: UniMás Broadcast of ‘El Súper Clásico’ Ranks As Most-Viewed Club Soccer Match In 2014 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

MLS, OK, but better: MLS Scores 283% Overnight Ratings Increase For 2014 Season Opener | World Soccer Talk

Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:

No sorry. You're not making a good argument for a draft in soccer. This is not the NFL or the NBA where a drafted player is looking at a million dollar salary. This is the MLS where drafted players will be making wages comparable to you and I. Why do you think its fair to force a player to start his career where MLS tells him to? It's harmful to his career. The best thing for his career is to choose which club suits his style and choose which club is closest to where he lives.

I'll use the example of Omar Salgado. Here was a 17 year old kid from Texas that was forced to start his career in Vancouver because they drafted him. So, you take this 17 year old out of his comfort zone and away from his family and you make him not only start his pro career in another country but also another culture. Salgado said that it took him awhile to adjust to his new surroundings. He's been injured off and on and has barely played the last couple of years. The ideal situation for him would have been one of the clubs in Texas near his family. He should have that choice just like you or I have a choice where we want to begin our working careers.

By forcing young players to start their careers where MLS tells them to we will lose some players. On the aggregate some young prospects will fall victim to this inefficient and anti-player system. There is a reason no other country on the frickin planet does this insane thing. It's because its stupid and harmful. There is no good argument for doing it. We're being laughed at by the footballing world for doing this stupid, silly, harmful thing.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
No sorry. You're not making a good argument for a draft in soccer. This is not the NFL or the NBA where a drafted player is looking at a million dollar salary. This is the MLS where drafted players will be making wages comparable to you and I. Why do you think its fair to force a player to start his career where MLS tells him to? It's harmful to his career. The best thing for his career is to choose which club suits his style and choose which club is closest to where he lives.

I'll use the example of Omar Salgado. Here was a 17 year old kid from Texas that was forced to start his career in Vancouver because they drafted him. So, you take this 17 year old out of his comfort zone and away from his family and you make him not only start his pro career in another country but also another culture. Salgado said that it took him awhile to adjust to his new surroundings. He's been injured off and on and has barely played the last couple of years. The ideal situation for him would have been one of the clubs in Texas near his family. He should have that choice just like you or I have a choice where we want to begin our working careers.

By forcing young players to start their careers where MLS tells them to we will lose some players. On the aggregate some young prospects will fall victim to this inefficient and anti-player system. There is a reason no other country on the frickin planet does this insane thing. It's because its stupid and harmful. There is no good argument for doing it. We're being laughed at by the footballing world for doing this stupid, silly, harmful thing.
Let's say that MLS eventually gets bigger and salaries get larger... Would you then be OK with a draft?

If it's best for players to choose the club closest to where they live, then the larger cities will have an advantage. I prefer parity in a league.

Young professional athletes of all sports get moved around without a problem.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Let's say that MLS eventually gets bigger and salaries get larger... Would you then be OK with a draft?

If it's best for players to choose the club closest to where they live, then the larger cities will have an advantage. I prefer parity in a league.

Young professional athletes of all sports get moved around without a problem.
Absolutely not. It is a horrible idea. It's bad for the development of soccer players in this country.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
Firstly, players dont chose clubs. Clubs should chose players. At youth level yeah you decide where you want to play and and MLS team would scout you to recruit you to their youth system.

You cant just say player X lives in Houston and therefore should play for Houston. It doesn't work that way either. I dont really think draft has much of a place in football, when a player leaves college thats 3+ years wasted that they could have focused on skills, college football just inst that good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer