U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,396,020 times
Reputation: 5087

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I laughed my ass off at the "It wouldn’t be the case in American soccer because it’s not popular enough." quote.

America DOES have racism, but it's not nearly as tollerated as it aparently is over in certian Euro countries. It has nothing to do with popularity (obviously), just everything to do with the fact that our country is alot more diverse.

You may see Rebel flags in some places, but that's it, and even then it's like 50/50 that the guys holding those flags are truly racist.

It is sad and it just makes me wish that one of those jackasses shouting racial slurs to the players and making Nazi guestures would do that sh*t in a game over HERE. I would love to see just one come to my school (an HBCU) and do that. Just to see if he gets out alive....
I laughed at that bit too JJG.
Popularity of a sport has nothing to do whether racist exists in the stands or not.

We had the Kick Racism Out Of Sport campaign years ago in Ireland (similar to the UK's) and I think it worked pretty well though there was nowhere near the level abuse as they showed at the Spanish games. As much as I hate "Le Cheat" (Henry) it does make me sick to see racist abuse like that hurled at him and other black players for something as stupid as skin colour.
I dont think its as wide spread as that article claims though, sensationalism is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,097,982 times
Reputation: 4093
its terrible the way its almost accepted in spain, italy and some other european countries, but i would say places like the uk and france where we have a more multi-cultural society, its no where near as bad, the only bigotry i see at games here in scotland is about religion, i have never heard in all the matches i have attended a racist slur because of skin coulor, but thats for another thread! you will never get ride of it in these other countries until you sort out the mindset of their society, most countries here in europe hate EVERY outsider, be them black or foreign of any colour, its the way it is unfortunately, wish it would change, but doubt it because of the arrogance and stupidity of these so called fans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,634 posts, read 3,273,017 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I know all about that. I am from Europe (Ireland) and dont cosider myself anything but Irish. Most of my friends from Ireland/UK and other parts of Europe dont consider themselves anything but their own nationality.
I'm English, not British, not European, just English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: London, England
643 posts, read 981,208 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I know all about that. I am from Europe (Ireland) and dont cosider myself anything but Irish. Most of my friends from Ireland/UK and other parts of Europe dont consider themselves anything but their own nationality.
I think Britain and Ireland don't really think of themselves as European as much as the mainland countries do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 06:40 PM
 
17,319 posts, read 10,225,457 times
Reputation: 28854
Years later, the problem has not gotten any better, and in some ways, has gotten even worse.

Make no mistake, soccer is the most racist sport out there. And the inability of the powers to be in the sport to fight this problem is a joke.

Montenegro racism ban leaves England's Danny Rose at loss for words

The beautiful game has an ugly problem: Racism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 08:01 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,293 posts, read 516,271 times
Reputation: 1165
There are pockets of racism everywhere - it shouldn’t be a surprise European countries (or some of those who play or watch soccer) are no exception.

That said, UEFA has taken a strong stand against it (zero-tolerance policy) - and they partnered with the FARE Network awhile ago. Their campaigns (and disciplinary measures) to eliminate racism in soccer (and spread the message to fans) have been around for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Seattle
680 posts, read 161,974 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Make no mistake, soccer is the most racist sport out there. And the inability of the powers to be in the sport to fight this problem is a joke.
It isn't the sport that's racist, it's the fact that soccer has by far the most diverse array of players from many points of origin. To me this is another positive aspect of the sport -- the fact that fans are being exposed to players from many different cultures and races. Unfortunately, racism exists everywhere in the world; it's part of the human condition, and all you can do is try to ameliorate its negative aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2019, 09:57 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,293 posts, read 516,271 times
Reputation: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It isn't the sport that's racist, it's the fact that soccer has by far the most diverse array of players from many points of origin. To me this is another positive aspect of the sport -- the fact that fans are being exposed to players from many different cultures and races. Unfortunately, racism exists everywhere in the world; it's part of the human condition, and all you can do is try to ameliorate its negative aspects.
I agree the sport isn’t racist - some people are. I also agree about soccer consisting of the most diverse array of players; which actually, at least in theory, one could think to expect to see less racism as a result of this - not more.

However, it’s not part of the human condition (as you stated); it’s learned behavior. To say it is, essentially, is ‘accepting’ it to a degree. That said, I think UEFA issuing a ‘no tolerance policy’ and spreading education, hopefully, results in fewer and fewer incidences.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-27-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Seattle
680 posts, read 161,974 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
However, it’s not part of the human condition (as you stated); it’s learned behavior. To say it is, essentially, is ‘accepting’ it to a degree. That said, I think UEFA issuing a ‘no tolerance policy’ and spreading education, hopefully, results in fewer and fewer incidences.

Mmm, not quite. Human brains are wired to take rapid shortcuts; to generalize based on a small sample size. It's a useful survival trait, but it also means we naturally gain biases from just observing a few negative situations, such as TV news. Removing those biases takes a lot of work. People who claim they don't have biases don't know themselves as well as they think. I know I have biases, and I have to constantly fight them with my conscious brain, knowing full well that they are stupid overgeneralizations. So, sorry, but I disagree with that part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 12:24 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,293 posts, read 516,271 times
Reputation: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Mmm, not quite. Human brains are wired to take rapid shortcuts; to generalize based on a small sample size. It's a useful survival trait, but it also means we naturally gain biases from just observing a few negative situations, such as TV news. Removing those biases takes a lot of work. People who claim they don't have biases don't know themselves as well as they think. I know I have biases, and I have to constantly fight them with my conscious brain, knowing full well that they are stupid overgeneralizations. So, sorry, but I disagree with that part.
‘Rapid shortcuts’ are different than stating racism is innate (and part of the ‘human condition’, as you previously stated). We may be born with the ‘hardware’ to take ‘short cuts’ but the information retrieved/processed has to be present first (by way of learning those stereotypes from our environment). Else, we would all be born racists; and we know this isn’t true. A bias is not necessarily the same thing as racism - and is highly individualized based on perceptions, experiences and environment i.e. ‘learned’ as well. It’s why UEFA’s educational campaign and ‘no tolerance’ message is crucial.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-01-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top