Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,319,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Aren't you the one who talks about shooting up schools? Sad. Or, are you going to imply how much you make again to feel good about yourself?. Perhaps you just want to feel good about your decision to relocate to Charleston. How long are you planning on staying?
CD, I may need your help here. This lonely guy is as deep as it gets. Should we call an intervention? I feel terrible. It's on par with taking advantage of an autistic kid. I really feel empathetic towards him. Please help, CD.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 03-20-2014 at 10:34 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
CD, I may need your help here. This lonely guy is as deep as it gets. Should we call an intervention? I feel terrible. It's on par with taking advantage of an autistic kid. I really feel empathetic towards him. Please help, CD.
Maybe you can tell us more about how rich you are, please share pics of your home so we all will want to live the Charleston lifestyle in.............Ladson.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:47 AM

202 posts, read 295,675 times
We need to get back to the original topic of contorting ourselves into pretzels to beat up on Haley about something even though the scenario will never happen anyway. lol Because Haley is such a hypocrite we can and should prove it using future examples that are unrealistic and guessing how Haley will act in such a hypothetical. lol

Old 03-21-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Maybe you can tell us more about how rich you are, please share pics of your home so we all will want to live the Charleston lifestyle in.............Ladson.
Who ever said I was rich?

Seriously, though. If you need help finding jobs or finding places to live down here, let me know. I'll help out any way I can!

Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Guys, I cant help but daydream about..one day...SC getting an NFL team. Our state is one of the nation's fastest growing. The Greenville, Columbia, Charleston areas are rapidly growing. Depending on which study you see or what time of year it each, each metro area is over 600K and pushing 700-800K (Think Cola already there).
No, it's not - it's the 14th-fastest growing at a 39-month rate (April 2010 to June 2013) of 3.3%, not much above the national average of 2.9%. There is only one state smaller than South Carolina that has an NFL team, and that's Louisiana - but when the Saints franchise was awarded, New Orleans was 370 miles from the nearest (soon-to-be, in 1970) NFL franchise at the time (Houston). In contrast, Atlanta is just over 200 miles from Atlanta, and less than 100 miles from Charlotte.

So, from the NFL's perspective, expanding to Columbia wouldn't do much to grow fans, because fans in the area already have two NFL franchises fairly close at hand. Travelling 90 miles to an NFL game 8x each year (Charlotte) is nothing. Lots of NFL franchises draw thousands of season-ticket holders from far greater distances.

Look at recent NFL expansions - they tapped into large and growing states (North Carolina in 1995 [or, 1996, since the team played in Clemson in 1995], Washington and Florida in 1976) and cities fairly far from other franchises, or into cities with established fan bases (Cleveland in 1999 and Houston in 2002). But, there is one exception - Jacksonville in 1995. Now, Jacksonville is the NFL's problem child. The market is just too small, but it's still a lot larger than Columbia or even South Carolina as a whole. Florida has over 4x as many people as South Carolina, sharing three teams. And Jacksonville's metro area has half a million people more than Columbia's metro area. And, yes, just like Columbia, Jacksonville can tap into nearby urban areas for support, so it still has a larger exclusive base than would a South Carolina team. And, again, it's not working for Jacksonville. After the situation with the Jaguars, there is absolutely no way the NFL is going to decide it's a good idea to put a team less than 100 miles from one NFL team, barely 200 miles from another NFL team, in a metro area much smaller than Jacksonville.

No.
Chance.
At.
All.

Quote:
In comparison, the wildly popular Green Bay Packers are in a city of 100K (Smaller than Charleston, North Charleston and Columbia) and a metro area of 300K...smaller than the Gville, Cola and Chas metro areas.
So?

The NFL would never expand to a 'farm town' (the old name for all the small cities that had, and lost - except for Green Bay - their NFL teams) today. The Packers are simply grandfathered in. Besides, they're basically a Milwaukee team with its stadium located 120 miles to the north of the city. Urban Milwaukee has a population of over 2 million people, far and away larger than urban Columbia. Toss in Madison, the central Wisconsin cities, and Michigan's upper peninsula, and the population base served by the Packers is larger still.

Sorry - the idea that the existence of the Packers somehow compels the NFL to expand to smaller cities makes no sense.

Quote:
So, within another 5-10 years, would we be a possible landing spot for an NFL team?
No. There are much larger metropolitan areas that don't have teams, such as Los Angeles. There are larger metropolitan areas in states where there is no NFL franchise and often only one other big league sports team, such as Portland and Oklahoma City and Salt Lake City. And there are cities in states with other NFL teams that unlike Columbia are simply the size of urban areas that normally have NFL franchises, such as San Antonio. From a purely business point of view (and the NFL is exactly that), these areas would all make much more lucrative sites for an NFL team than South Carolina.

And no existing team is ever going to get a new stadium by threatening "Build us a palace, or we're moving to Columbia! Don't think we won't do it!".

The city will indeed think they won't do it.

And they'll be right.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,827 times
Quote:
See, CD? Perfect example...I feel awful for making him even worse. Maybe we should lighten up and maybe help him find some services?
I don't know what he's talking about with the 210K thing. 210 wont get you anything around downtown or Mt P...unless you wanna live in the ghetto or in one of Mt P's lesser known but not-so-good neighborhoods.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Haha, honestly, I was just having fun with him. I got kinda bored with it, and spent the last two days at the beach due to the warm weather. You ever eat at the Crab House on Folly? HOLY CHRIST maybe best seafood I've ever had, and the place serves it on paper plates! Went in right off the beach, sandy, hot....just wanted a hot lunch, and got the best meal I've had in a long time.

As for GSP.....I kinda forgot about him haha.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:36 PM

Unsettomi,

You gave a pretty good response, well said and thorough (unlike some here).

I agree, right now, no chance. In 10 years no chance.

But, I really think the NFL's future is on TV. Its just my hunch. But, they are already having trouble selling seats in many places. BUT, the TV ratings and TV contracts are incredible right now, and only growing. College FB is the same way. Football is one of the only sports that are better on TV than in person, and the NFL and NCAA folks have confirmed this.

So, just in my opinion, the future of the NFL will involve more teams. And, many of those teams will have smaller stadiums than the current ones. Maybe 50K or so. Hell, Jacksonville tarps off half their upper deck on home games. Sad. But the Jags vs AFC South games still get huge ratings.

So, with the popularity of the NFL and big time draw for fantasy football, there is a demand for more games, more TV. They are talking about expanding the reg season to 18 games, and having games on every night except Tuesday and Wednsday.

Eventually, like any business, the NFL will need more product for higher demand.

And in the past, the #1 concern was "can a team fill an 80,000 seat stadium".

In 10 years, it'll be "can a team make people turn the TV on". And as football fans have shown, they'll watch just about ANY NFL game.

So its just my opinion. But, by 2040, 2050, I would not be surprised at all to see the NFL at 40-50 teams, just to fill higher demand for television contracts and games.

Of course, you're right.......LA, VA Beach, Birmingham, Portland, all those cities are due for an NFL team and are big enough now.

But look at college football. The SEC sells out stadiums bigger than NFL ones, and that fan base is rabid. The South is the KING of college football fanaticism. Don't think the NFL doesn't see that. I really think a team in Birmingham, AL would end up being more successful than one in LA, just because the people love football more there.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I don't know what he's talking about with the 210K thing. 210 wont get you anything around downtown or Mt P...unless you wanna live in the ghetto or in one of Mt P's lesser known but not-so-good neighborhoods.
He's referring to my neighborhood in the Charleston metro area. He seems to think in terms of numbers = happiness. He frequently brings that up, my recent post about a good meal at Newks in Summerville, and my posts about job offers and past jobs in other areas. For some reason, he seems to be an admirer of me. My wife is jealous.

Quote:
Haha, honestly, I was just having fun with him. I got kinda bored with it, and spent the last two days at the beach due to the warm weather. You ever eat at the Crab House on Folly? HOLY CHRIST maybe best seafood I've ever had, and the place serves it on paper plates! Went in right off the beach, sandy, hot....just wanted a hot lunch, and got the best meal I've had in a long time.

As for GSP.....I kinda forgot about him haha.
Yeah, it's tiring. I took note when you said in one post about his posts being mostly about bashing Charleston. I took a look back at his posting history and wow. Pretty much 95% of his posts are about Charleston. Envy much? I hope the guy can one day get a job here so he can finally be truly happy.

No I haven't been to the crab house, but I may check it out due to your review. The best seafood that people rave about is actually not to far from there at Bowen's Island. Haven't been there either though. Went to the beach today and so glad spring is back. Cheers!

Old 03-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
He's referring to my neighborhood in the Charleston metro area. He seems to think in terms of numbers = happiness. He frequently brings that up, my recent post about a good meal at Newks in Summerville, and my posts about job offers and past jobs in other areas. For some reason, he seems to be an admirer of me. My wife is jealous.

Yeah, it's tiring. I took note when you said in one post about his posts being mostly about bashing Charleston. I took a look back at his posting history and wow. Pretty much 95% of his posts are about Charleston. Envy much? I hope the guy can one day get a job here so he can finally be truly happy.

No I haven't been to the crab house, but I may check it out due to your review. The best seafood that people rave about is actually not to far from there at Bowen's Island. Haven't been there either though. Went to the beach today and so glad spring is back. Cheers!
OH, ok. 210K can get a very nice place in Summerville, Goose Creek, Dorchester County, etc. Basically outside the 526 loop. I've been looking at the areas building up around Charleston Southern University. Ingleside Plantation is gonna be a nice place, right next to Bass Pro. Inside the 526 loop you're paying to be near the water basically.

Yeah, his purpose on this forum is 99% to bash Charleston.

Speaking of that....see my new parody thread!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.