Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 08:39 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
Fred's is closing...I thought the economy was doing well. Why doesn't it feel like it?

https://theitem.com/stories/freds-in...ter-all,327803
I was just reading that, so another Broad street business will be closed. Not sure if any other major retailer will be attracted to that end of Broad street though. I'm surprised that Farmers furniture, right next door is still open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I had heard that years ago... back in the 80s/90s that Dalzell wanted to incorporate and become a town ? Does anyone recall hearing this? I believe they used to have their own water utility company that was later absorbed into High Hills? I cant recall the politics but its interesting how there are so many rural water companies around the City of Sumter and since most (larger) municipalities provide water.. you are technically one step from being a city/town anyway. From what I understand having the utility and the slow sprawl of Sumter up 521 sparked that level of interest.. What killed it was that there are some many failed "towns" in Sumter County... Mayesville (whom I believe sold their water department to the City of Sumter to operate) and Rembert in addition to politicos in Sumter didn't want to have another municipality adjacent to it.. especially one that could take away lucrative tax base and residents. So they worked to undermine that effort through a good ole fashion whispering campaign in terms of fueling the reasons why it wasn't a good idea and were successful. I think Pinewood still has their own Water Company.. but most of the western side of the City I believe is in High Hills Water Dept.

If anyone has any current info.. would be curious to know thoughts/insight...
Sorry Woodlands, I don't know anything or enough about any of Sumter County towns. As far as Dalzell, I couldn't tell you where it begins or end, it's so spread out. People will tell me where they live in Dalzell, then another person tells me where they live in Dalzell, and I'm thinking how far apart that is. I'm talking about a large area people call Dalzell. According to WiKi, just 2260 people live there.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 AM

217 posts, read 240,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I was just reading that, so another Broad street business will be closed. Not sure if any other major retailer will be attracted to that end of Broad street though. I'm surprised that Farmers furniture, right next door is still open.
Seems like no retailer is safe in todays economy or with online shopping taking over unless its named Walmart Target DollarGeneral Costco Lowes or connected to Amazon(wholefoods)

Old 05-23-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Seems like no retailer is safe in todays economy or with online shopping taking over unless its named Walmart Target DollarGeneral Costco Lowes or connected to Amazon(wholefoods)
That's the thing, a store like Fred's had tons of competition here in town. There are DG stores all over the place, as well as a few FD and Dollar Tree, and a few Roses store and Big Lots as well. A lot of shoppers probably don't venture on that end of Broad.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 PM

143 posts, read 180,105 times
Anybody going to the final open house June 3rd? It's 6pm at the City Centre. I saw the results from the 3-day open house in April (hate that I missed it- but I did the online survey) calling for a park area between the new courthouse and library and they seem to have a goal of building 400 residential units (apartments, lofts, condos and townhouses) for the downtown area. The hope is to attract more professionals.

If they want to attract professionals I think the city should have a contingency plan for attracting amenities to downtown as well. If they can focus on attracting a hotel across from the Opera House I think they can look at a Lidl for the niche of people they are trying to attract...and no I doubt this crowd they are focusing on are Piggly Wiggly shoppers either. Piggly Wiggly is another one that is in jeopardy as we saw one close already. If the one on Lafayette closes then downtown will have next to NOTHING except a couple of pharmacies. If that happens then who would want to live downtown?

www.downtownsumter.org

Old 05-23-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Anybody going to the final open house June 3rd? It's 6pm at the City Centre. I saw the results from the 3-day open house in April (hate that I missed it- but I did the online survey) calling for a park area between the new courthouse and library and they seem to have a goal of building 400 residential units (apartments, lofts, condos and townhouses) for the downtown area. The hope is to attract more professionals.

If they want to attract professionals I think the city should have a contingency plan for attracting amenities to downtown as well. If they can focus on attracting a hotel across from the Opera House I think they can look at a Lidl for the niche of people they are trying to attract...and no I doubt this crowd they are focusing on are Piggly Wiggly shoppers either. Piggly Wiggly is another one that is in jeopardy as we saw one close already. If the one on Lafayette closes then downtown will have next to NOTHING except a couple of pharmacies. If that happens then who would want to live downtown?

www.downtownsumter.org
That's it right there, amenities. Downtown is starving for amenities, need lots of help there. I can't make that open house date, I'm on 12 hour day shift all that week. That Piggly Wiggly will never close for lack of business. If it does, it will be to replace it with something else there. That have always been the least popular Piggly Wiggly store, most people I know absolutely hates it, and it's right across the street from the mental health center.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Quote:
Fred's is closing...I thought the economy was doing well. Why doesn't it feel like it?

https://theitem.com/stories/freds-in...ter-all,327803
All Fred's stores are in the process of closing. Fred's lost itself between competing as a dollar store against Dollar General, Dollar Tree and Family Dollar and as a drugstore competing against CVS and Walgreen's.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:24 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times
Quote:

www.downtownsumter.org

If I were the City Leaders ( and lord knows I would likely only be in office for one term if I even manage to get elected.) I would look in the Block between Washington Street on the west; Sumter St on the east; Hampton Ave on the north; and Bartlette St on the south. With the exception of Shiloh Randolph Apartments and the Hospital Parking garage.. I would buy and level everything including ipapers favorite vacant gas station. Then I would do the following

1)In the block north of W. Liberty Street next to the Hospital Garage. I would encourage the development of a market rate residential building with a ground floor grocery store (Lidl) that is a prominent corner and has a lot of traffic counts.. Close to Hampton Park as well.. A large multi story apartment building would be good there and its parking garage could be in the back adjacent to the existing Hospital Garage.

2) From W. Liberty all the way down to Shiloh Randolph I would tear that out all the buildings including Dugan St and build a new signature downtown Greenville like Park to host downtown events. The park will be bookended by this new (Lidl store with maybe four stories of residential above on the north and the Shiloh Randolph Building on the south .. They could even leave space next to the existing Shiloh Randolph tower for a second wing to be built overlooking the park and adding more seniors to the area with a nice view of the park and access t the other senior services in the area.

you could then over time redevelop the Churches Chicken site and some of the vacant or low use properties on the western side of Washington St not to mention some commercial/retail properties Sumter @Dugan or even the entire City Planning Department parking lot...

This would bring a solid anchor that is close to your flagship hotel and the businesses on Main Street as opposed to putting way over by the Library.. which is not far away but would not likely spur any meaningful development . You have also now connect Hampton Park with Downtown which is important.. You now have a major gateway feature on W. Liberty and Washington that is accessible to residents, business events, downtown along with downtown workers from the Hospital, City Hall, CCTC. It would totally transform this section of the City.....I would get this approved.. then get run out of office in disgrace because of the cost.. die of old age and then.. years later... have a fountain named after me later in the park because it would have become a resounding success and be called a visionary before my time though called a villain and a tax and spend bureaucrat when I was alive...LOL

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9201.../data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-24-2019 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 05:59 PM

143 posts, read 180,105 times
Quote:
. It would totally transform this section of the City.....I would get this approved.. then get run out of office in disgrace because of the cost.. die of old age and then.. years later... have a fountain named after me later in the park because it would have become a resounding success and be called a visionary before my time though called a villain and a tax and spend bureaucrat when I was alive...LOL

That was too funny...although you realize it would take 6 months to a year to build that fountain.....AND McLaughlin Ford would still be on North Main!!!! LOL Do we know Sumter, or what?

Old 05-24-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
If I were the City Leaders ( and lord knows I would likely only be in office for one term if I even manage to get elected.) I would look in the Block between Washington Street on the west; Sumter St on the east; Hampton Ave on the north; and Bartlette St on the south. With the exception of Shiloh Randolph Apartments and the Hospital Parking garage.. I would buy and level everything including ipapers favorite vacant gas station. Then I would do the following

1)In the block north of W. Liberty Street next to the Hospital Garage. I would encourage the development of a market rate residential building with a ground floor grocery store (Lidl) that is a prominent corner and has a lot of traffic counts.. Close to Hampton Park as well.. A large multi story apartment building would be good there and its parking garage could be in the back adjacent to the existing Hospital Garage.

2) From W. Liberty all the way down to Shiloh Randolph I would tear that out all the buildings including Dugan St and build a new signature downtown Greenville like Park to host downtown events. The park will be bookended by this new (Lidl store with maybe four stories of residential above on the north and the Shiloh Randolph Building on the south .. They could even leave space next to the existing Shiloh Randolph tower for a second wing to be built overlooking the park and adding more seniors to the area with a nice view of the park and access t the other senior services in the area.

you could then over time redevelop the Churches Chicken site and some of the vacant or low use properties on the western side of Washington St not to mention some commercial/retail properties Sumter @Dugan or even the entire City Planning Department parking lot...

This would bring a solid anchor that is close to your flagship hotel and the businesses on Main Street as opposed to putting way over by the Library.. which is not far away but would not likely spur any meaningful development . You have also now connect Hampton Park with Downtown which is important.. You now have a major gateway feature on W. Liberty and Washington that is accessible to residents, business events, downtown along with downtown workers from the Hospital, City Hall, CCTC. It would totally transform this section of the City.....I would get this approved.. then get run out of office in disgrace because of the cost.. die of old age and then.. years later... have a fountain named after me later in the park because it would have become a resounding success and be called a visionary before my time though called a villain and a tax and spend bureaucrat when I was alive...LOL

Thanks Woodlands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina