Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 09:01 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I never made that claim. I said that you have no evidence of it.

I can just as easily speculate that you are racist because you live in Hendersonville, because some people are racist. Anybody can speculate. I don't think the OP was asking for speculation from people who have never lived in Clemson.

What motivates you to talk about racism in a small town that is 1.5 hours away from you, especially given you can't seem to cite even one anecdote of racism in Clemson against black people?

That is what seems absurd to me.

I think a big problem in this country is people making baseless assertions of racism.
Let me be clear: I'm not singling Clemson out as any more racist than any other southern city. My comment was in response to your assertion that Clemson did not have any racists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 09:02 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Let me be clear: I'm not singling Clemson out as any more racist than any other southern city. My comment was in response to your assertion that Clemson did not have any racists.
I never said it doesn't have any racists. There could be but I have no evidence of it.

You keep mischaracterizing my argument because you can't prove there are racists in Clemson despite asserting there are.

You could be a racist too. That's speculation, not evidence.

You haven't provided any evidence that the south is more racist than other areas. I think you say that because the majority of voters in the south don't vote your way.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I never said it doesn't have any racists. You keep mischaracterizing my argument because you can't prove there are racists in Clemson despite asserting there are.
Ok, evidently you now believe there are some racists in Clemson. So we agree.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Ok, evidently you now believe there are some racists in Clemson. So we agree.
There could be, but there is no proof of it and you have no proof of it. You will make the accusation regardless.

The funny thing to me is how liberals act like liberals can't be racist. FDR got 98 percent of the vote in 1932 in SC when it was there was prevalent racist.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
There could be, but there is no proof of it and you have no proof of it. You will make the accusation regardless.
Could? In a town the size of Clemson, not a single person has racial biases. Now that's naive.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Could? In a town the size of Clemson, not a single person has racial biases. Now that's naive.
I never said that. You are debating a strawman because you can't provide a single anecdote of white racism in Clemson and you have never lived in Clemson.

In terms of probabiliy, there are more racists living in larger cities to include the cities you claim are 'progressive' like Austin and Asheville, simply because they have more people, but what you are talking about? Clemson, a small town that is 1.5 hours away from you. Why is Clemson on your mind?

Why can't people suggest you are racist, because some people are racist? I don't see how your speculation about racism is useful to anybody. I would have no problem with a person sharing a specific anecdote of racism in Clemson if it is true.

Anyway, this is going to keep going around in circles.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I never said that.

I said you have no evidence of racism in Clemson. You have yet to provide a single example.

In terms of probabiliy, there are more racists living in larger cities to include the cities you claim are 'progressive' like Austin, but what you are talking about? Clemson.
Several posts back, you noted you had observed a truck in Clemson with a confederate flag several years ago. Many people would consider this an example of racism.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Several posts back, you noted you had observed a truck in Clemson with a confederate flag several years ago. Many people would consider this an example of racism.
You left out the part where I said that was the only time in 21 years that I had seen Confederate flags over there because it doesn't fit your narrative.

When the south had prevalent white racism, it voted for another party that isn't in power now. The party in power switched as middle class people moved in from other places.

The Confederate flag was a symbol of that other party that is no longer in power in the south.

It is funny that a person insisting there is racism in Clemson has to use my anecdote as the basis for the assertion. You don't even know where those people live. People ride through Clemson all the time going to the mountains and lakes nearby.

It seems like you could share one anecdote of white racism in Clemson given your assertion especially if it is true you have relatives in Clemson.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-31-2017 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
You left out the part where I said that was the only time in 21 years that I had seen Confederate flags over there because it doesn't fit your narrative.

When the south had prevalent white racism, it voted for another party that isn't in power now. The party in power switched as middle class people moved in from other places.

The Confederate flag was a symbol of that other party that is no longer in power in the south.

It is funny that a person insisting there is racism in Clemson has to use my anecdote as the basis for the assertion. You don't even know where those people live. People ride through Clemson all the time going to the mountains and lakes nearby.
Ok, there is also racism in Hendersonville, Asheville, Charleston, Athens, Tuscaloosa, Jackson, Baton Rouge, Mobile,etc...

Old 12-31-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Ok, there is also racism in Hendersonville, Asheville, Charleston, Athens, Tuscaloosa, Jackson, Baton Rouge, Mobile,etc...
There are probably some racists in every place, why are you focused on the south?

Anyway, this isnt' worth talking about.

Just seems like if there is so much racism in the south out there, you wouldn't have to speculate. You could list example after example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina