Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:30 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Adams View Post
As Ben Franklin said:
In wine there is wisdom,
In beer there is freedom,
In water there is bacteria.
In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstratedThat if we drink 1 litre of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. Coli) - bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.
However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.
Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health
Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid,
Than to drink water and be full of ****.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service
-Throws away glass of ice water-

Gee, thanks for the info I didnt need to know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,153 times
Suppose I did not purchase enough materials from the hardware store for a project. I can wait till after 1:30PM or go to Georgia. Obviously, I'll go to Georgia rather than waste 2, 4 or 6 hours sitting idle. I pay Georgia sales tax and businesses there see higher sales revenue.

Now also suppose we are in a recession. All sales figures for a particular hardware store chain are down. There are four hardware stores in a ten mile radius. Only one is in South Carolina. Based on demographic info gathered at check-out, it is easy to see SC customers will use GA stores. The corporate office closes the SC store to cut costs.

The immediate impact is people are unemployed and the locality loses sales revenue. However, that store was also the "anchor" store for a strip mall. An anchor store is the retailer that draws people to an area. With the anchor store gone, the entire strip mall experiences decreased revenue. Some surrounding stores may decrease their staff and/or close.

Have you ever wondered why is was only a few years ago that WalMart and Lowe's opened North Augusta stores?

Georgia and other states bordering ours gain an economic benefit from South Carolina residents purchases on Sundays. They not only reap the sales tax revenue, but are more attractive to retailers. This is not only true for retail; food and beverage, entertainment and manufacturing are impacted the same way.

If we are to "remember the Sabbath and keep it holy", why is it only until 1:30 PM? The biblical text states "The seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, or your son or your daughter, or your male or female slave, [...] or the resident alien in your towns, so that your male and female slave may rest as well as you." So ALL people (and animals) are required to rest the entire day. Lifting the ban at 1:30 is a compromise. As situations change, compromises should be re-examined.

Some businesses refuse to compromise. Chick-fil-A is closed every Sunday and I applaud that. Walmart is open 24-hours a day, but in accordance w/ the laws cannot sell anything but groceries until after 1:30 pm. I also applaud that too.

South Carolina has chosen not to compete in the regional economic market. Admittedly, I moved from Georgia to South Carolina for less suburban sprawl, crime and more green space. However, those objectives are better achieved through careful planning and zoning. Manage our resources, don't strangle our area businesses. We can offer businesses incentives to come here and still maintain our standards.

Regarding the "When in Rome..." comments, I suggest that you read up on the Romans. The Roman Empire included people from a variety of cultures and the worship of an ever increasing number of deities was tolerated and accepted. The imperial government, and the Romans in general, tended to be very tolerant. Romans even accepted other non-theistic philosophical traditions such as Cynicism and Stoicism. The phrase is about tolerance, not indifference to other's values.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,020 times
I have lived in SC for fifty some years. I know of no one who got more religious because of these blue laws. They are and have always will be, stupid. South Carolina, in many ways is backward by choice. This is a classic example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina