Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 08:35 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't know how you would ever have time to do all of that. I know what I'm doing the next day, but I don't necessarily write it all down. I always start off the year fairly well when it comes to that, but it fizzles.
That's what we do, too. It doesn't take as long as you think. You just have to hammer out a good system and become proficient with cutting and pasting.

Only 1 more full week until spring break! One of those days, Friday, is an all day field trip to Jamestown. The only bad part is we have to be at work at 6:50am. I'm soooo not a morning person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 09:21 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
That's what we do, too. It doesn't take as long as you think. You just have to hammer out a good system and become proficient with cutting and pasting.

Only 1 more full week until spring break! One of those days, Friday, is an all day field trip to Jamestown. The only bad part is we have to be at work at 6:50am. I'm soooo not a morning person.
We don't go to Jamestown. Many schools in our district go, but none of us want to make that trip.

I'm taking tomorrow off so my break starts now. It officially starts Monday and students don't return until the following week on Tuesday. That Monday is a teacher workday, but it is one of our "alternate work location" days. It will make a long stretch from that point to June 23.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:59 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
We take charter buses and the kids think it's just the greatest thing ever. I actually like the Jamestown trip. It's not that far for us.

I wish we had alternative work location days.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:41 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:

I'm taking tomorrow off so my break starts now. It officially starts Monday and students don't return until the following week on Tuesday. That Monday is a teacher workday, but it is one of our "alternate work location" days. It will make a long stretch from that point to June 23.
You allowed to take a day off before a break?

2 more weeks until Spring Break, I need to squeeze in a personal or sick day before I lose it. The one day off last week was not enough at all.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
You allowed to take a day off before a break?

2 more weeks until Spring Break, I need to squeeze in a personal or sick day before I lose it. The one day off last week was not enough at all.
Oh yeah. A lot of people take off the day before a break.

Does your leave not accrue?

Old 03-18-2016, 07:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:

In my district if you take the day before or after a break you lose your pay for the entire break even if you have a doctor's note. You show up come hell or high water if you don't want your pay docked. I've seen teachers drag themselves in when they were very ill and then go home rather than lose their pay. Of course then they're mad at you for coming in and spreading your germs but they're the ones who made this stupid rule.

I can't figure out how they can get away with this given we're really just paid for the days we work.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:22 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
In my district if you take the day before or after a break you lose your pay for the entire break even if you have a doctor's note. You show up come hell or high water if you don't want your pay docked. I've seen teachers drag themselves in when they were very ill and then go home rather than lose their pay. Of course then they're mad at you for coming in and spreading your germs but they're the ones who made this stupid rule.

I can't figure out how they can get away with this given we're really just paid for the days we work.

My former district has that rule, too.

We received one personal day per year. But you could not use it the day before or after a vacation or the first two weeks or last three weeks of school.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:43 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:

In our district, a doctor's note is required for an absence before or after a break. I don't work April Fool's Day, so if it falls on Good Friday or Easter Monday, I go to the doctor. She never plays a prank on me! I haven't worked April 1st since my first year. I decided I didn't want the students to suffer because I have no sense of humor. They're just glad I'm gone. Most of their teachers have been absent way too many times so far this year. I took off for my birthday right after spring break, because they moved the break up a week and it no longer always includes my birthday. It was my first absence, so the students were very happy. They all wished me happy birthday when I came back. I think the whole school must have known I was out!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Sorry. That stinks.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My former district has that rule, too.

We received one personal day per year. But you could not use it the day before or after a vacation or the first two weeks or last three weeks of school.
We can use five personal days per year. Prior to this year it had always been three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching