Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times

Advertisements

We just got back in and in Maryville the going rate for the regular unleaded is 4.99 where it isn't sold out. We saw a Texaco for $4.49 and there wasn't a soul there. We pulled in and asked if they had gas and said yes. We topped off (9 gallons) and felt like we had won the lottery or something.

We picked up a lottery ticket while we were out. I figure if gas can be $5 a gallon I have a chance at winning. Never thought I would see the former and hope I see the latter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 07:06 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
Everybody's talking gas how's the diesel situation doing or not doing.
Loves out of baxter shows 4.09 gas -- 3.84 diesel

Last edited by joee; 09-13-2008 at 07:16 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 07:09 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Smile Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
Everybody's talking gas how's the diesel situation doing or not doing.
If you go to Map Quest and click on the gas icon( disel) and enter your town /city it will show the price.....

Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Well, $293.00 later, we have food.

Went to the Food City behind East Town Mall. All the stations there were $4.99, too. The ones that did have gas, anyway. I'm still seeing gas tankers around. I think they are full of it, and I hope that the charge them with gouging.

It will probably happen, because Knoxville's making national news:

Far from Ike's path, an aftershock is felt: $5 gas - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 09-14-2008, 12:21 AM

289 posts, read 570,077 times
I live in west TN halfway between Memphis & Nashville. The truck stop that I work at, on Friday when I clocked in at 2pm was 3.599 (and that was a .10 hike from the day before). When I clocked out at 10pm it was 4.299. Sat when I went in at 2pm it was 4.799 & that's where it still is. We have had no new deliveries either.

He did hike diesel from 3.859 to 3.999 but it's held steady at that since Friday. In Jackson a man was arrested because he was selling gas at 5.099. Police was directing traffic in both Jackson & Lexington as people were lined up in the streets to get into the gas stations.

It's insane. I live 12 miles from town. I have 3/4 a tank of gas. I live 2 miles from the store where I work. I can survive for about 2 weeks before I HAVE to fill up. And that's 1 maybe 2 trips to town a week & to the store & home 5 days a week. By then I am ever hopeful that this nonsense will be over & gas prices will be somewhat normal again.

Good luck to all of you guys & I hope the get ALL of these guys for gouging.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:59 AM

It's on CNN.

They have a nice, big picture of Pilot with its $4.99 gas price. Good. For those that don't know, our mayor's family owns Pilot. They released a nice big press release Friday afternoon. Meanwhile, they were jacking up the price without new deliveries. Even their release said they had gas on reserve.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/13/bush.ike/index.html (broken link)

Last edited by Beretta; 09-14-2008 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: trying to fix link

Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
Filled up yesterday in White House and thought $3.89 for regular was expensive until I just read all these postings. They were already starting to close up some of the pumps due to them being empty. I'm checking our other car this morning and filling it up.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:59 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Friday evening in Baileyton regular unleaded was $4.699 and diesel was $3.959. Yesterday regular unleaded was $3.999 in Elizabethton where panic buying had caused many dealers to run out on Friday. Drivers were filling up every fuel tank they owned, including boats, ATVs, lawn tractors and gas cans. In a few days when prices have fallen many people will regret having paid so much.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake.Lady View Post
Laura, I posted on another forum that we were filling up and doing a Sam's Club run and he (some guy) made fun of me. I've been made fun of before and I'll be made fun of again, but I bought what I needed to and we're good go go. The way I look at it is, if it costs $x.oo now, what's it going to cost later?
I usually only buy 2 or 3 days worth of groceries at a time because I have to lug them up stairs but when I saw how much gasoline was yesterday and then went to the store and started to see emptyish looking shelves, I doubled what groceries I usually buy. I think we're going to see less food on the shelves AND I think what we do buy will cost more. Those big trucks are not going to come to the supermarkets as frequently and when they do, the cost of them filling up their trucks will be passed on to you in food prices.

The gas station by me only had premium gas yesterday. It was all out of regular. Since I've been told not to put anything other than regular in my car I went elsewhere. Luckily for me, I don't commute to work and things I do regularly are within 3 miles of where I live.

I'm still for drilling and building more refineries now plus doing all of the alternatives, too, like nuclear, wind, bio, etc.. The drilling and refinery work may not impact us for a few years but the longer we put it off, the longer that impact will be. I'm incensed when politicians say, the impact won't be for a few years. Well, that's still shorter than NEVER. Meanwhile, Russia is doing it's darndest to control most of the earth's oil.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I usually only buy 2 or 3 days worth of groceries at a time because I have to lug them up stairs but when I saw how much gasoline was yesterday and then went to the store and started to see emptyish looking shelves, I doubled what groceries I usually buy. I think we're going to see less food on the shelves AND I think what we do buy will cost more. Those big trucks are not going to come to the supermarkets as frequently and when they do, the cost of them filling up their trucks will be passed on to you in food prices.

The gas station by me only had premium gas yesterday. It was all out of regular. Since I've been told not to put anything other than regular in my car I went elsewhere. Luckily for me, I don't commute to work and things I do regularly are within 3 miles of where I live.

I'm still for drilling and building more refineries now plus doing all of the alternatives, too, like nuclear, wind, bio, etc.. The drilling and refinery work may not impact us for a few years but the longer we put it off, the longer that impact will be. I'm incensed when politicians say, the impact won't be for a few years. Well, that's still shorter than NEVER. Meanwhile, Russia is doing it's darndest to control most of the earth's oil.
Food City was pretty busy for a Saturday night. They only had two checkers and they were overwhelmed.

I'm glad I bought a house close to everything. It has helped a lot.

As a Democrat, I can tell you that I am with you all the way, LauraC.

Let's do something, anything, everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee