Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
By the way, gang, since the first hamburger was created in Athens (in East Texas), do any of you know of any good places you might recommend out there?

Not to mention, a burger with a good side order of black-eyed peas.....
Now, Case, that is downright un-American/un-Texan.....LOL!!!!

The idea of BEP with a hamburger makes me gag....hehehehehe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 06:28 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
Oh I forgot about Kellers in Dallas, haven't been but want to try. It looks like a really fun place.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:30 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Now, Case, that is downright un-American/un-Texan.....LOL!!!!

The idea of BEP with a hamburger makes me gag....hehehehehe!
I realize, to some people, that this is a little bit of an odd combination, but both hamburgers and black-eyed peas do have a history in Athens. It's where both got their start.

Okay, folks, if you've been to Athens, do you know of any good burger places (likely to be mom-and-pop there)?

Old 02-08-2008, 08:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Lee's in Waco!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 PM

808 posts, read 3,648,399 times
For fast food, you can't go wrong with Whataburger.

For not-so-fast-but-still-good food:
Jack's Burger House in Dallas (Snider Plaza)
Goff's Hamburgers in Dallas (Hillcrest Ave near SMU)
Wallbanger's in Corpus Christi (Staples Street near Parkdale Plaza)
and there was a really good place in Medina, TX...don't remember the name though

Old 02-09-2008, 08:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I realize, to some people, that this is a little bit of an odd combination, but both hamburgers and black-eyed peas do have a history in Athens. It's where both got their start.

Okay, folks, if you've been to Athens, do you know of any good burger places (likely to be mom-and-pop there)?
Case,I was just kidding....

Do they actually offer black-eyed peas as a side dish at hamburger joints there? Or is it something that you eat at home? It did strike me as unusual.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:26 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
i am going to pick some of those burgers up at HEB myself and use my George Forman!! i love bleu cheese too and all the fixins ya mentioned. thanks for the tip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
My favorite burger is the HEB burgers with cheddar and bacon in them and I cook them on my George Forman. I'm really picky when it comes to burgers and nobody offers the toppings I use.. bleu cheese, green olives, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, mustard, avocado, small dab of mayo, and pickles. My burgers are a little on the big side and usually fall apart, but they are sooo tasty.

I wish we had a White Castle here, that place rules. We do have Krystals here, but it's not the same as White Castle and nowhere near as good as the ones in Florida.

As far as Chesters, that was a serious disappointment. Chris Madrids was OK, but nowhere near the hype. As far as a chain I can get here, I like Fuddruckers because I can do my own toppings and they will cook it medium rare. It's hard to find a place that will do that and the last one I had was Ãœber bloody on the plate

Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Do they actually offer black-eyed peas as a side dish at hamburger joints there? Or is it something that you eat at home? It did strike me as unusual.
I'm not sure. I'd have to do some serious research and see who does what. I've been to Athens a couple of times, but have never eaten a meal there. They may have restaurants that do both.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,789 times
Clear Springs has an AWESOME burger - they have a few restaurants spread out through the state...yummy!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Oh, and that second question: I have tried that idea at home. Not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas