Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 AM

15 posts, read 31,840 times

Advertisements

Tindo and 11th hr you're both on the money, Stand your ground. Anyway this thread is running out of juice. Maybe people should agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
Yes, can we close this thread because nothing is being solve here. This is all strongly opinionated.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliba View Post
Tindo and 11th hr you're both on the money, Stand your ground.
But they're not. Especially saying that Houston is nothing but hot, sweaty urban blight. How accurate is that?

If they want to stand their ground as being inaccurate and biased, fine. But they're still inaccurate and biased.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:36 AM

624 posts, read 906,732 times
[quote=tindo80;9652163
I can remember in High school (in texas) being told that Mexican American women hit puberty faster and Mexican men have more hormones than others, and that was why latinos have more children, or that blacks have extra 'fast twitch muscles' on their bodies which makes them good at sports, or that women who breast feed their sons past 2 will make them homosexual etc etc.
All nonsense, but many people believe and go day to day assuming that as if it was hard science. Some of this was being proposed by teachers at that.

I too went to high school in San Antonio and never once heard any of that crap, especially coming from a teacher. Wealthy Hispanics live all across the city and can be found living in any of the exclusive neighborhoods and suburbs, it's not 1930's Texas. I do think Texas is bashed more than some other states. Texas pride runs deep and some Texans are maybe more vocal than they need to be. But the stereotypes are perpetuated by the media. The Today Show was broadcasting from The River Walk in SA yesterday and both of the hosts were wearing cowboy hats and one was riding a mechanical bull. People in the office were watching on TV and laughing and commenting when was the last time you had a cowboy hat on, rode a mechanical bull or even rode a real horse and the comments were never or maybe once for horseback riding. Yet the media thinks we all still do.

Last edited by BillyH; 07-30-2009 at 04:51 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 02:40 AM

77 posts, read 227,827 times
Jealousy....easy. Texas is superior in every way.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times
[quote=BillyH;10015964][quote=tindo80;9652163

But the stereotypes are perpetuated by the media. The Today Show was broadcasting from The River Walk in SA yesterday and both of the hosts were wearing cowboy hats and one was riding a mechanical bull. People in the office were watching on TV and laughing and commenting when was the last time you had a cowboy hat on, rode a mechanical bull or even rode a real horse and the comments were never or maybe once for horseback riding. Yet the media thinks we all still do.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, My mom and Dad drove through Texas to check it out and when my Mom came back to the house she was laughing. She said they got lost and ran into a guy with a strong accent who was wearing a shiney cowboy shirt, boots, cowboy hat the whole works.

So I don't think you can blame the media for the stereotypes

Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
[quote=Cupcake77;10139555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post

I disagree, My mom and Dad drove through Texas to check it out and when my Mom came back to the house she was laughing. She said they got lost and ran into a guy with a strong accent who was wearing a shiney cowboy shirt, boots, cowboy hat the whole works.

So I don't think you can blame the media for the stereotypes
The problem is that the media blows it way out of proportion. Just to give you an example, I am a native Texan and do not wear a cowboy hat, boots, or western shirts. I have lived here most of my life and NONE of my friends who are Texans wear these clothes either. I only know a few people and have a few family members who wear western clothing. When you see Texans displayed in the media or in TV shows they almost always wear the full cowboy outfit you describe above. Do some people in Texas wear all that stuff? Yes. But not everybody dresses that way. It would be like the media portraying every person that lives in Mexico walking around with a giant sombrero on their head...LOL

Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
I wear jeans and work boots on occasion. I don't get dressed up in cowboy attire ever, even when going to a country concert or rodeo.

The frat boy look of a polo and khaki shorts works just as well here now.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
As a Chicagoan, here's my take on it. I have never been to Houston so I don't have an opinion on it either way. If Houston should surpass Chicago in population, that's fine. We have enough people. I've been to Austin and liked it. The downtown area was "cute" and the Texas Hill Country south of Austin is really nice. I've been to Dallas/Plano/Irving several times and don't care for it at all. Seemed very "bland". Had the best brisket and BBQ that I've ever had but didn't care for the landscape, architecture (or lack of it). I don't have any issues with Texas and would visit the Austin area again. I've always thought of it as a fairly conservative state and other than Austin, I don't know if I could live there. The university and techies probably keep the it funky or as they "Keep Austin Weird". I heard that the weirdness is going to the way side. Illinois is by and large very conservative too, but Chicago proper remains pretty much on the left.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Heres my take:

Ive been in Dallas one month after living most of my life in Los Angeles and I absolutely love it here! People are wonderful and friendly. Its not as diverse as LA, but there are many different cultures in the Metroplex. Im a big fan of the Koreatown here and the Vietnamese enclave in Arlington.

That being said I can tell you that the reason people like to bash Texas is because (frankly) Texans are extremely arrogant when it comes to their state. They have to be the best at everything and they are in your face about it. Take the dude from San Francisco on here. He didnt start out attacking Texas at all until a bunch of you got in his face about SF.

Let me say that I dont think Texans are arrogant over all, but when it comes to issues reguarding Texas, they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas