Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I'm in the same boat () as you about Venice. Part of the problem for both of us could have been all the hype about how you'll fall in love with the place. It's hard for any place to live up to that. I did love the look of the buildings along the grand canal - and some in the back waterways as well. Part of what makes many of those buildings so picturesque, though, is that they're decaying and woefully un-maintained. I'm guessing most tourists who say they fell in love with Venice wouldn't actually want to live there or in that kind of accommodation (housing/transportation/amenities).

People say it's so quiet there because there aren't cars but the motor boats are running all the time - even in the back ways, so it wasn't magically serene and quiet to me.

They also talk about getting off the main tourist paths and getting lost in Venice being the best thing ever. Well, I can imagine having trouble finding a particular address, but I can't imagine getting lost there - the streets may be crooked and narrow and many but it's pretty obvious what general direction you're headed and where the big waterways are.

Another thing you hear is how fabulous the food is. We did have some good food there - but also had sub-par food. That's something I'd expect anywhere - it's realistic - but people act like Venice is exempt from reality somehow.

For me, though, the worst part was not just that there were lots of tourists, but that there was a disproportionate amount of tourists to residents - and they seemed especially pushy/slow-moving/oblivious. The big organized tour groups were especially annoying throughout Italy - maybe moreso in Florence, actually where we spent more time at museums.
I guess the difference between Venice and Rome/Florence is in the latter you can actually get away from the mobs of tourists into areas less traveled and eat/shop like the locals do.

One of my favorite things is to go into grocery stores in new places I visit. I have a knack for finding them. Not in Venice though--the entire island seemed set up for tourists rather than locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 02:04 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
Mine would be Palm Springs and Scottsdale Arizona. I can see retiring or living there as a snowbird to beat cold weather, but as a 1 week or less vacation resort destination I felt very underwhelmed. Other than nice golf courses and resorts, there just wasn't a lot to do that I couldn't do at home.

I'd also mention southern California resorts from Orange County down to San Diego and the coastal resorts in Florida, particuarly SW Florida. The ocean front places are extremely expensive compared to similar resorts in Mexico, Hawaii, or the Carribbean, but those areas had much nicer water. I'm still shocked how expensive some of those Hyatt and JW Marriott resorts are. It's like they cater to overpriced convention or business retreats crowd on expense accounts vs. actual folks on vacation.

Although I really like Aspen, I think it is over rated and expensive compared to a lot of nearby and much cheaper options like Vail/Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Steamboat. There just isn't a lot of hotel inventory in Aspen and the rich and wealthy like the seclusion from the crowds at other mountains.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
I'm sure most of the hordes of tourists that visit Venice are disappointed, so it must be overrated. I have not been there in 40 years, so I would imagine it's not what it once was.

And I believe that L.A. is underrated (did I say that before?)

Athens could be in the the overrated category. The museums and ancient sites are great, but the rest of the city is, well, not the Greek Islands, which are stunning.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I'm sure most of the hordes of tourists that visit Venice are disappointed, so it must be overrated. I have not been there in 40 years, so I would imagine it's not what it once was.

Athens could be in the the overrated category. The museums and ancient sites are great, but the rest of the city is, well, not the Greek Islands, which are stunning.
I've been to Athens, and while I'm not opposed to going back, it's not at the top of my list. Once you've seen the various museums and antiquity sites, and maybe shopped a bit in the Plaka, there's just not much more to do, and it's just not that attractive of a city. (It's got a Soviet Bloc concrete look about it in my opinion.)

I'll agree the Greek Islands are gorgeous, but Croatia is far more beautiful.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:

Venice is NOT overrated. It is too unique to be overrated. A little stressful, yes.

Athens is VERY overrated. I agree.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
, really. Guess I have to keep looking!

Seriously, San Francisco is terrific, I was there in the spring and fell in love all over again.

I think I could more easily come up with places that are under-rated. Portugal, for one.

Okay, I think Disney World is over-rated, how's that?
Agree.
I love San Francisco, and deplore Disney World. But the people who *love* Disney World are not concerned about how it is rated. It gives them everything they want and need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
. I have to disagree about Venice. I was thoroughly unimpressed. I expected to fall in love with it, and came away feeling it was one of the dirtiest and most unfriendly places I've ever visited. And we won't even talk about how difficult to navigate and ridiculously expensive it was.
I never *expect* to fall in love with a place. But for us it was not expensive at all. But this was back in 2001. I had a delightful time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I
For me, though, the worst part was not just that there were lots of tourists, but that there was a disproportionate amount of tourists to residents - and they seemed especially pushy/slow-moving/oblivious.
I did not have this problem, but then I get up at dawn. I was alone at San Marco, sipping a cappuccino.
I enjoyed it quite a bit. But I know what you mean about slow-moving/oblivious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Venice is NOT overrated. It is too unique to be overrated. A little stressful, yes.

Athens is VERY overrated. I agree.
Nobody I talk to rates Athens highly. Everyone pretty much agrees that you get in, see the important sights such as the Acropolis, and get out. Seeing the Parthenon was meaningful to me, but Athens is crowded and not the cleanest place. We had an okay experience with the airport, which is not always the case for me in the USA.

About overrated:
The whole "overrated" designation always tends to bemuse me. Okay, so a certain place elicited a negative reaction from you. So what? The fact that *you yourself* had a not-so-wonderful experience makes a place overrated for anyone else? But perhaps I am a bit of a Pollyanna. That's what my husband tells me.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 PM

I found Athens cleaner than Rome and a lot cleaner than Venice.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I hate the word "overrated" because it implies that everyone feels the same way about a place. Personally, I love SF/Northern California as a vacation spot. Can't rate it high enough.

I myself have zero interest in a beach resort, cruise, Disney or anywhere "all-inclusive".

I prove your point exactly. My first choice for a vacation would be a beach resort, cruise, Disney or something "all inclusive". Viva le difference.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-26-2012, 05:56 PM

490 posts, read 650,552 times
LA is a smoggy toilet bowl. San Diego is much better. San Francisco is NOT overrated. It's one of the most beautiful cities in America, if not the world. Seattle is a great place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think San Francisco is somewhat overrated. One must throw in Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur and the Sierras to kick it up some.

The city is really small, accommodations are very expensive, a lot of the tourist sites are kitsch, and the ocean is not suited for swimming, unless you've packed a wet suit. I think a lot of tourists are wowed by the vistas but, after seeing them a few times, they're not as powerful. The views which include bridges are obviously the best - from Marin Co viewpoint toward the city and from Treasure Island toward the city.

It's not a city that merits paying through the nose to live there. I actually think Seattle has better vistas because of the snow-capped mountains captured from almost everywhere when the weather cools.

San Francisco reminds me of a cake with baked on gingerbread houses that shouldn't be eaten.
Colorado, the Grand Canyon, many National Parks. Not being an "outdoor enthusiast", I find them all pretty boring. Of course, I have the luxury of living in the country and if I want to pitch a tent and strike up a campfire I can do so anytime I want. I understand that most city people do not have this option, so they have to appreciate nature elsewhere.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel