Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 09:19 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
End thread because YOU say so? ?
No, but because GPurcell summed it all up so nicely. Everybody else is spitting in the wind and venting.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
On South American buses, women with several children get on the bus, and just park their kids on the lap of any passenger who doesn't have her lap already occupied by a lamb or a basket of eggplants. Nobody has a problem with the idea that children are raised by the whole community.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:13 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
There's that crazy logic again. Please explain how causing pain will get a child to stop crying.
Of course the screaming will be louder for a while, but a good firm upper cut usually quiets them right down, and when they come round they only whimper from the pain. See? Hitting solves everything, no need to think.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:06 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Ruined? Did you not get from point A to point B?

In any event, if you think spanking is an effective way to get a kid to be quiet you are crazy.
Spare the rod, spoil the child. This thinking is all too prevalent theae days. Kids look to parents for direction. If they're not guided, then they will not know how to behave. Slap on the butt might be necessary to get the point across to some.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:21 PM

92 posts, read 101,781 times
Yes! They should keep them quiet all of the time. Unruly children in public are so annoying.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:49 PM

21 posts, read 68,819 times
As many people have posted, it it hard for children to clear their ears while flying sometimes. If the child is in pain for the entire flight, it would be difficult for the parent to calm the child. We travel with our children on a regular basis and despite our best attempts sometimes they would cry or fuss. Thankfully for us, never for an entire flight.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Ruined? Did you not get from point A to point B?

In any event, if you think spanking is an effective way to get a kid to be quiet you are crazy.
I have 3 pretty darn good adult children, anyone would be proud to call them their kids, we have a wonderful foster daughter that, after losing contact with us, spent 25 years trying to locate us; 2 have a couple of awesome granddaughters who are both parents now and in every case, they knew what would happen to them if they misbehaved. I am not talking about infants or kids who are having pain in their ears, my heart goes out to them, I am talking about brats and yes, there are many on planes and yes, I had a couple of flights ruined. Have you even flown across the Atlantic on an overnight flight and had a child crying or being a brat almost the entire trip? I have or come home from Hawaii to the west coast, again at night; same thing; no sleep or little sleep because of annoying kids. If a kid knows what will happen if they are brats, they will not be brats. Most kids that act up have not been not been taught to behave in public. I am not talking about a young child that acts up for a few minutes on a flight, in a restaurant, in the store, I am talking about a kids who is just period out of control. I think that is what many of us are saying. Everyone knows kids get fussy from time to time and none of us are perfect.

Let me add, there are not many people that love kids the way I do. With that, I think I am going to shut off the computer so we can go have a delightful dinner with 2 of our wonderful great grandkids who are toddlers.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:50 PM

71 posts, read 78,987 times
Kids should not be allowed on planes.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to totally disagree with you on that one: we have had a few flights ruined by young children, and few by adults. We have flown all over the world, so it isn't like we are novice flyers. That being said, yes, a parent should do all he/she can to keep kids quiet. If this means a good firm hand on the bottom oh well. I know it isn't possible to totally get infants or toddlers quiet, I know the ear pain for them can be pretty bad, but any child over 2 or 3 should know how to behave. When I see comments like yours, I wonder if you are one that flies with your noisy child?
In my experience a good firm hand on the bottom causes MORE crying, MORE screaming and MORE whining. Not less. More.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
I don't travel without in ear beats and a fully charged iPod classic. There were three kids screaming bloody murder on my last flight, but once my bag was stowed and seat belt bucked, I didn't hear a thing until I landed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel