Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 03:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Times Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 06:32 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
You're kidding, right???

Trash everywhere? Stench coming from sewers? Where did you visit ... a land fill in the Bronx? Surely you're not talking about Central Park, 5th Avenue, Park Avenue, the Lincoln Center of Performing Arts, the World Trade Center, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Statue of Liberty, Bryant Park, the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, the Cloisters ...
In fairness, walking around parts of Manhattan on trash pick up days can be challenging. Mounds of trash bags hanging out on the curb isn't terribly appealing to tourists who are used to their trash being collected from neatly enclosed trash bins or dumpsters. Not that there are many other options for collecting trash in NYC. And exhaust fumes? Yeah, can't deny that one.

I love NYC, but there are definitely some drawbacks.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
In fairness, walking around parts of Manhattan on trash pick up days can be challenging. Mounds of trash bags hanging out on the curb isn't terribly appealing to tourists who are used to their trash being collected from neatly enclosed trash bins or dumpsters. Not that there are many other options for collecting trash in NYC. And exhaust fumes? Yeah, can't deny that one.

I love NYC, but there are definitely some drawbacks.
Actually the exhaust fume problem has been greatly reduced by the new idling laws and clean diesel emission requirements. On a diesel engine put into service since 2010 the air coming out is cleaner that that going in within the largest urbanized areas in the US.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:47 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post
Niagara Falls (Canadian Side). As a Canadian, that place is ugly as sin.
Completely disagree with that. Niagara Falls is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The gardens and world class attractions like the butterfly exhibit are second to none.

HOWEVER, One street of attractions is the tackiest place I have ever seen. Clifton Hill is so tackey that it's irresistible to millions of people. It's tacky in a good way though. It's not dirty or grungy, full of lowlife or hucksters. It's just good clean tacky fun. It's everything Atlantic City wished it was but isn`t.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Here's one from my state - Paul Bunyan and Babe, the Blue Ox:

I confess. I stop for them all - The Corn Palace, The World's Largest Ball of Twine, The Vortex, Wall Drug, Cadillac Ranch.

There's a little Iowa amusement park about ninety miles from where I grew up called Arnold's Park that's about a hundred years old and was the stuff of dreams in my childhood. Vintage rides, vintage shops, vintage treats. The last time I was there they'd moved out the old and built a McDonald's on the lakefront. Tsk.

A trip across country sixty years ago was a montage of regional quirks and oddities reflective sometimes of get-rich-quick schemes, sometimes born of local legend or one lone soul's greatest aspirations. It was amusing, colorful, thought-provoking.

Now you can drive coast-to-coast on the same highway, stay in the same motel room every night and eat in the same fast food place. Ho-hum.

Where did our personality go?

Old 09-11-2014, 09:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Possibly tackier: the Boardwalk in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Lots of grossly overweight people in skimpy bathing attire, salt water taffy shops, kitschy souvenir stands, Philly cheesesteak sandwich joints, and Chinese foot massage parlors!
I'll twin that with Ocean City, MD.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:28 AM

311 posts, read 450,949 times
Moulin Rouge in Paris. Massive disappointment, lost all cultural/historical meaning, and became a small Disney tourist trap. Luckily we didn't purchase tickets to go in or anything but just seeing it from the outside I knew it became hyper commercialized.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:46 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
There are many caves and viewpoints along or near the Blue Ridge Parkway that are tacky.

[/quote]

???

The Blue Ridge Parkway is the most beautiful highway in the United States, and its CCC-constructed overlooks (which are what I assume you mean by "viewpoints") offer spectacular views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and valleys far below.

What caves are you referring to? Luray Caverns in Virginia? They are close to but not part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, but have been a major tourist draw for many years, and are rather low-key in comparison to other places mentioned in this thread.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:53 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Casa Bonita in Denver. It is insanely tacky, with awful food and worse performances (the "cliff divers" are ridiculous). Everything is overpriced and cheesy.

But it's kind of glorious. We went for my birthday and had a blast laughing at everything.

It has legendary status in the Denver area and a whole South Park episode was built around it.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:22 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
Moulin Rouge in Paris. Massive disappointment, lost all cultural/historical meaning, and became a small Disney tourist trap. Luckily we didn't purchase tickets to go in or anything but just seeing it from the outside I knew it became hyper commercialized.
Though at least if you go a block away from there and clear the obligatory sex shops, the neighborhood around it is pretty classic Paris and the view from Sacred Heart hill is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel