Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:12 PM

469 posts, read 399,270 times

Advertisements

I get pre-check free. Not sure why, and didn't even notice I had it until my sister (who works at an airport) looked at my boarding pass once and called me a dummy for not knowing I had it. Since then I've always used it and I love it! I had not applied and didn't fill out any paperwork so not sure why I was blessed but I'm not going to argue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 03:52 PM

22,378 posts, read 29,497,078 times
^^Nice!! I wonder how you got that???

Old 01-29-2016, 07:51 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,121,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
^^Nice!! I wonder how you got that???
My dad gets it for free as well because he's a Royal Medallion member on American Airlines. So he gets to use the precheck line every time he flies American.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:55 PM

469 posts, read 399,270 times
I got curious and looked it up - it's because I always fly SWA and have had a frequent flyer account with them for many years, so they hooked me up via the third bullet point below. I guess at some point I must have opted in but I don't recall. I certainly didn't fill out any extensive paperwork, pay any money, get fingerprinted, etc. I'm not sure but I don't think it would carry over to any other airline.

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...aprecheck.html
Who is eligible?

Southwest Passengers that are eligible for TSA PreCheck include:
  • U.S. Citizens who are members of a The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Trusted Traveler program, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS
  • Canadian Citizens who are members of NEXUS
  • U.S. Citizens who are Rapid Rewards® Members that the TSA deems eligible and opt-in to participate in the program
  • U.S. Citizens who have applied and been approved for the TSA PreCheck[SIZE=2]®[/SIZE] Application Program
  • Any active duty, U.S. Armed Forces service members in the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy, as well as the Reserves and National Guard, with a DOD ID (Effective for travel on December 20th and after)

Old 01-29-2016, 08:06 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,803,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgryfon View Post
I got curious and looked it up - it's because I always fly SWA and have had a frequent flyer account with them for many years, so they hooked me up via the third bullet point below. I guess at some point I must have opted in but I don't recall. I certainly didn't fill out any extensive paperwork, pay any money, get fingerprinted, etc. I'm not sure but I don't think it would carry over to any other airline.
It shouldn't carry over to other airlines and it wouldn't work if you were returning from an international flight. If you know you are never going to use another airline or fly internationally then you're good to go, but believe me once you are used to using the line it is difficult to go back. It is one thing if you fly one the airlines that don't participate but when something happens and you're not identified to go to the TSA pre line you feel salty. On my last flight on Southwest my TSA Pre did not show up on my reservation and I had to use the A List line, even though I got to the front of the security line I was annoyed because I wasn't mentally prepared to have to go through the usual security procedures.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,772,592 times
So those who aren't getting pre-check on them boarding passes, I believe is a fluke. It happens to me about once a year. I go to the airport and ask for my boarding pass to be reprinted and voila, precheck so there.

What's the benefit of adding global entry?

Old 01-29-2016, 10:41 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,604,786 times
I only fly a few times each year and I consider it worth it. I've seen the long lines at regular security. And keeping my shoes and jacket on and leaving the computer in the bag is a bonus. It's well worth the money.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,803,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
So those who aren't getting pre-check on them boarding passes, I believe is a fluke. It happens to me about once a year. I go to the airport and ask for my boarding pass to be reprinted and voila, precheck so there.

What's the benefit of adding global entry?
The only benefit is expedited processing through customs and immigration when you return from international trips. Even if you think you will only take one international trip in the next five years it is worth it. The normal processing can take a relatively long time even for US citizens especially if more than one flight has landed at the same time.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:39 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,772,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
The only benefit is expedited processing through customs and immigration when you return from international trips. Even if you think you will only take one international trip in the next five years it is worth it. The normal processing can take a relatively long time even for US citizens especially if more than one flight has landed at the same time.
Thanks! Surprisingly last year it was super easy without. Dallas now has a self service that makes it go quickly. I'll still kid into it!

Old 01-30-2016, 07:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,580,286 times
Yes. Certain cards will reimburse your fee too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel