Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 05:57 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times

Advertisements

I've got to agree with other poster, if almost every airbnb experience you have is terrible the problem is you and your expectations. I get that you have very strong feelings about this hospitality exchange dealie since you post basically the same thing dozens of times about how glorious it is and how much airbnb is terrible, and that's great you've got something you like and works for you, but come on there is something going on if every airbnb is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 06:20 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
I've had nothing but amazing Airbnb experiences. I've used them in Cuba, New Orleans, and New York City, and I have also hosted. I think the people who generally complain about Airbnb are the ones that generally complain about anything. I also work in a hotel and we have those guests too.

Airbnb is amazing for international stays, long-term stays (especially of the month-long variety), and unique stays. I also find that you can save quite a bit of money by utilizing them.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I've got to agree with other poster, if almost every airbnb experience you have is terrible the problem is you and your expectations..
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Of course I understand Air B&B...

Alternative options for overnight lodging, from Retreat centers to Shared space and everything in between.

When I stay in a private home, I would much rather support someone who has a purpose and bent for hospitality (and have been doing it for many years, than someone who is trying to SAVE their home / help with house payments / casualty losses / make income by joining unregulated portion of a very (personally) vulnerable industry.

The majority of our Hospitality hosts DONATE all their hospitality earnings to charity or needy travelers (not much when overnight + meal is $20 for entire family).

I have several relatives they do Air B&B on their guest homes, but they have the best results with 'referrals' / personal friends.

Air B&B guests are an equal PITA, on the 'entitlement side/, so say many of our hosts who do both.

Let's see... $220 for Air B&B vs $20 + meals for a Hospitality stay... Most our hosts prefer to go the 'hospitality route' Sometimes we have joint shared with those paying $220. They have their 'expectations', and we have none... just a lot of relationship building and fun.

Pick your poison, nothing is perfect.
We are all different.

We love hosting (Been doing it since 1982, my parents and grandparents have done it for generations.
That's great that some people donate their hospitality earnings. But some people are renting these units out to get by and earn some income.

You are right---pick your poison. A lot of people choose airb&b so they have their own space. They aren't looking for "hospitality" the same way you might be.

I had a friend who was VERY into the couchsurfing community for a few years. Then, he had one AWFUL experience and he hasn't done it since. That's all it takes.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:25 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
I think people are just pigs.

1. Ask for specific food items (like a room service request).
2. Guests feel the need to "sneak" the animal onto the property.
3. Not representing the number accurately on the reservation.

I think many people use Airbnb because it is cheaper and they want to get as much for their money as they can.

We stay at an Airbnb on Peaks Island, ME. We had our dogs (we had long email exchanges about them with the order). We treated it like a rental house.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:07 PM

79 posts, read 68,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
For those who grossly misrepresent their AirBNB, I care less. Ex. One apartment we stayed at in NY was crappy compared to the photos and had an ant problem.
We once stayed in an AirBNB in the mountains. The pictures of the outside were taken in a very clever way that highlighted the porches and plants and not much of the home itself. It was advertised as a "cottage," but it was definitely a mobile home.

Now, if you take a look at my username, you'll see that I'm not exactly anti-mobile home. I still felt that it was very misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
When I stay in a private home, I would much rather support someone who has a purpose and bent for hospitality (and have been doing it for many years, than someone who is trying to SAVE their home / help with house payments / casualty losses / make income by joining unregulated portion of a very (personally) vulnerable industry.
I actually think that renting out your home as an AirBNB is a great way to save your home or make some money during a tough time. I guess I don't understand why you have a problem with all of that.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctrailertrash View Post
We once stayed in an AirBNB in the mountains. ...

I actually think that renting out your home as an AirBNB is a great way to save your home or make some money during a tough time. I guess I don't understand why you have a problem with all of that.
check the liability insurance before you sign-up. many places are death traps. That would be bad. (for all).

But there are more important things to be concerned about (as a guest!)

As mentioned... ONE of the Air B&B's we stayed in Portugal was nice, but 7 were bad to really bad (Ireland the worst (for us) ). YMMV, have a great time. I'm OK with my $20 WW plan. works for millions of others (for last 10+ generations) .

Old 05-03-2019, 10:19 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I have yet to find Airbnb that is cheaper than a motel anywhere we travel to. so I have no problems staying in a cheap motel, at least I know what to expect. At least the front desk is open all night. I am ot going to pay more to have the "privilege" of staying in someones home where I do not know the standard of hygiene etc.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
As someone who owns a few Airbnbs now and has stayed in both hotels and Airbnbs all over the place I'm really fascinated by the way guests either embrace or misunderstand the difference in the with these types of stays. I thought it would be interesting to see what others think. (We don't share space with any of our guests and are at least a half hour away from each property if not more.)

For example, in one of our Airbnbs four people is the max capacity and we have a nominal fee over two guests for the additional wear and tear in the property. We have had families of up to 8 squeeze into the space and ask if we can provide extra air mattresses while not representing the number accurately on the reservation. When asked the answer was that hotels don't keep track and it was just expected to be the same.

We are pet friendly in one location and ask that guests disclose if they are bringing a pet so that we can alert the cleaning crew to travel with their heavy duty pet hair vacuum. Though we are not charging additional fees for pets you would be surprised at how many guests feel the need to "sneak" the animal onto the property. We just want a heads up for the cleaners.

With Airbnb the host may stop by or check you in. We have visited our properties with notice on a few occasions and had to help people with lock outs etcs. Sometimes guests seem extremely freaked out by this. We say our our profile that we give guests space but are available and don't ever just show up without warning or a good reason. In my own experience as a guest I have always enjoyed meeting the host so I just expect that it's possible if not probable.

We leave snacks but have had guests call during their stay and ask for specific food items (like a room service request). As far as I know the cleaning crew has never been tipped in any location but in a hotel it would be common.

I think a lot of savvy travelers know that Airbnb is very different from a hotel in many ways but as it gains ground new guests are often confused by this stay format. What do you find are the big differences and things that surprised you about staying at an Airbnb?
I would expect the tipping of hotel housekeeping personnel to take a drastic dive if the hotel industry began charging a separate cleaning fee for the accommodations.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:24 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I've got to agree with other poster, if almost every airbnb experience you have is terrible the problem is you and your expectations. I get that you have very strong feelings about this hospitality exchange dealie since you post basically the same thing dozens of times about how glorious it is and how much airbnb is terrible, and that's great you've got something you like and works for you, but come on there is something going on if every airbnb is bad.
Also entirely possible he is working for some hotel chain just trying to spread as much negative press about airbnb as possible.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:26 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have yet to find Airbnb that is cheaper than a motel anywhere we travel to. so I have no problems staying in a cheap motel, at least I know what to expect. At least the front desk is open all night. I am ot going to pay more to have the "privilege" of staying in someones home where I do not know the standard of hygiene etc.

Totally fine. Some other people might enjoy the use of a full kitchen, or a 65" LED TV, or free garaged parking, or some other perk that is common in airbnbs while almost nonexistent in hotels... much less comparably priced cheap motels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel