Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times

Advertisements

I've driven the Alaska Highway about 17 times and have never been searched. Three of those times I was pulling a trailer...two utility trailers and a travel trailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 02:18 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I know someone who got turned back for a reckless driving conviction. The original charge was DUI, but it was pled down to RD. Still enough to keep him out of Canada.
Any type of drunk driving offense I think are felonies there, even if you only get charged here with a misdemeanor. It's serious enough to keep you out of the country for a long time.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:24 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Checks can be random or targeted to individual situations.

My experience has always been more difficult re-entering the USA. (Frequent border crosser / WA ,ID, MT to BC / Alberta) Last yr was ME, NH, NY and MI crossings (no problem).

You can get a NEXUS or Global Entry card if frequent crossings becomes the norm.
Its been probably 15 years, but, when I lived in Ohio I would frequently go to Niagara Falls. I never once was stopped on the way over, but was stopped and searched repeatedly coming back over..

Old 05-07-2019, 02:26 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've driven the Alaska Highway about 17 times and have never been searched. Three of those times I was pulling a trailer...two utility trailers and a travel trailer.
The most traveled region between the United States and Canada is Ontario, Quebec and New York.

So, that is where most of the stop and search happens.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:37 PM

151 posts, read 133,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Any type of drunk driving offense I think are felonies there, even if you only get charged here with a misdemeanor. It's serious enough to keep you out of the country for a long time.

I guess that makes sense now. I've heard about the insane beer taxes that exist in Canada so that shows a lot about the general attitude towards alcohol up there.

And sorry to hear about what happened to you and your ex-husband. It always sucks to have travel plans ruined. I don't know what i'd do in that situation! Roxham Road maybe!?

Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
I've driven into Canada through Vermont a couple of dozen times over the years. Randomly got pulled over and searched once. I was always in a car full of 20 something guys. The main reason we got searched the one time was because my we had a mini fridge that my friend was delivering to his brother who was going to school in Canada and the boarder patrol wanted to make sure we weren't trying to bring it in without paying tariffs but they did go through our car, our luggage and patted us down and held and questioned us for about an hour. I also got stopped flying into Vancouver at customs once while working and questioned.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
I guess that makes sense now. I've heard about the insane beer taxes that exist in Canada so that shows a lot about the general attitude towards alcohol up there.

And sorry to hear about what happened to you and your ex-husband. It always sucks to have travel plans ruined. I don't know what i'd do in that situation! Roxham Road maybe!?
I think high taxes are only on liquor. You have buy liquor at state run stores. Beer and wine is cheap

Old 05-07-2019, 06:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
I was strip searched and interviewed under a spotlight in "Immigration!" while crossing the border. They tore everything they could out of my dudsy Chevy sedan.
I'm a old white guy, born in the US (no tats, no pony tail, no earrings, etc), crossed that same border a million times over a 50 year period. Zero police record. Not even a parking ticket (there or in the US) Never gave a reason why. I have never gone back. That experience gave me the willies.

Oh...and one time, they turned my brother around - wouldn't let him in. The guy never touched a drug or anything. No reason given. Just made the old fart turn around and go back to the US.

Canada has gotten to be one weirdass place. Their border checkers make the TSA folks look like sweethearts.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-07-2019 at 06:33 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 06:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Years ago, I would take my BF over to my cottage many times. Prior to that he had gotten a DUI (the dope called the cop "Porky Pig"...lol) and was forever denied a drivers license. I'm sure that would be a felony in Canada, if not the US. They never said a peep at the border. But, see my previous post.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-07-2019 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
A friend of a friend of mine flew to Toronto and they would not let him into the country because of a drug charge on his record in the US. He was kept in a holding room at the airport and then was made to immediately fly back to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel