Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times

Advertisements

I'm confused about Johnny Keyser. All I can remember is that his group was in the hot tub rather than rehearsing. I can't remember their performance! I do remember Johnny continuing to sing on Wednesday when Imani fainted. I can see how that could come across as cold and selfish---but wasn't Imani equally as selfish to insist on performing when she was so sick and could bring the rest of the group down? And they do say the show must go on.....

I do wonder whether something will appear in the media soon as to why Johnny was really eliminated. It does seem strange that he wasn't one of teh ones shown who was getting the ax since he had so clearly been a front runner.

I get a kick out of the judges contradicting themselves. Sometimes they will say that they are taking into account both previous and the current performances; other times they make their decision just based on the current performance. Let's face it---a lot of this is very subjective.

Also was amused by Jessica Phillips. "I'm a real artist. AI doesn't want real artists. I wasn't here to win the show. I'm hear to get a recording contract." Sour grapes and a graceless loser just isn't appealing. And there is no more to be milked from her helping her boyfriend. Yes, he had a pretty devastating stroke and she is sticking by him to help. Not quite sure why at this point she needs to keep her life on hold to do that. After all, he is functional enough to travel to Hollywood and Las Vegas with her! Yup, he still has some speech impairment----but c'mon. And if she is such a real artist, then where is that recording contract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:38 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
The spoilers I read last week said that Johnny was eliminated in Las Vegas because he had a bad performance. It did seem somewhat uncaring that he continued to sing when Imani fainted but I dont think that's why he was eventually eliminated.

I agree with jazzcat in that the judges have been letting some singers go through based on their past performances and they've been letting other singers go through based on their current performance. Apparently Johnny was one that they let through in the early Las Vegas round because of his previous performances -- until they had to cut people.

I dont understand it myself because, although I didnt care for him personally, I do think he has a great voice and he was so very popular with so many viewers.

Last edited by TFW46; 02-17-2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM

Next week, the 42 contestants head back to Hollywood for a round called “Sing For Your Life” (isnt that what the X Factor called its sing-offs?). The performers will select one song to sing. The song can be from the AI-approved song list -- or the performers can try to get a song not on the list approved -- or they can sing an original song. They can choose to sing it a capella or with one instrument.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I just have to say some of those groups were amazing this year.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just have to say some of those groups were amazing this year.

I so agree, Hopes. I was in awe of the harmonizing. Several groups stood out, which is saying a lot in that marvelous competition.

I dont care for Cowboy personally but his duet with Jairon Jackson was simply awesome. I closed my eyes and almost heard the Righteous Brothers, who (next to the Everly Brothers) were the best harmonizers of all (in my opinion).

Old 02-17-2012, 08:18 AM

251 posts, read 572,122 times
The thing we have to remember about these competition shows is that it's MOSTLY about making entertaining television.
Yes, they want to find a good singer to sign a contract, that will make lots of people lots of money. But, the bottom line is about making a TV show.

Also, remember American Idol is NOT the end all, be all of recording contracts and fame.
People got recording contracts and fame before American Idol, and they will when the show gets canceled.
If these kids let THIS show determine their career fate, they are seriously deluded. There are other lucrative ways to make it in "the biz."

Some of the kids eliminated last night probably are already wheeling and dealing with record labels.

Also, let's not forget the MANY AI rejects, and castoffs who've made it big WITHOUT this show And I'm talking about the kids who never even made it to the top 24!!!

Perfect example: Colbie Caillat. She never even made it to the judges the first time she tried out. The second time, she made it to the judges, but didn't even make it to Hollywood.

There's also Hillary Scott (from Lady Antebellum)
Then there's Amber Rily (is now on Glee)

Then, there are of course the dozens who made it to the top 24 and still got deals.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
Also, remember American Idol is NOT the end all, be all of recording contracts and fame.
People got recording contracts and fame before American Idol, and they will when the show gets canceled.
If these kids let THIS show determine their career fate, they are seriously deluded. There are other lucrative ways to make it in "the biz."

I agree with you, but the reality is: many people don't know how to get in touch with professionals, producers etc... the only way they see is taking part in one of those talent shows, be it AI or another show.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I agree with you, but the reality is: many people don't know how to get in touch with professionals, producers etc... the only way they see is taking part in one of those talent shows, be it AI or another show.
Yep. Consider Whitney Houston. Dionne Warwick is her second cousin. Aretha Franklin is her Godmother.

If she didn't have those connections, it's unlikely she would have been discovered.

She probably would have lived a healthier, happier life as a NYC secretary though.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
SunnyKayak - thanks for posting that FB comment by Johnny Keyser I think the guy already won. He sounds very grownup and on his way. He also has given us a peek into what's really going on with a lot of the more mature contestants -- they get enough notoriety to draw the attention of people who can help them, and now he doesn't have to go through the life-draining, ego-bashing, mind-numbing process of the AI meatgrinder. Good for him! Even if this is a PR ploy, it's brilliant. It makes him look really really good:
Johnny Keyser
You're all amazing! Thank God for American Idol! Not only did they give me a boatload of opportunity, an amazing experience, they put me in contact with outstanding musicians, lifelong friends, and ultimately gave me a purpose I've been searching for for my whole LIFE! I am so blessed to be a part of this show this year. Everyone who friended me, it's been an absolute pleasure going through this journey with you! I'm insanely excited for the future to unfold because I know my life has changed. Thank you American Idol! I'll miss ya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
The thing we have to remember about these competition shows is that it's MOSTLY about making entertaining television.
Yes, they want to find a good singer to sign a contract, that will make lots of people lots of money. But, the bottom line is about making a TV show.

Some of the kids eliminated last night probably are already wheeling and dealing with record labels.

Also, let's not forget the MANY AI rejects, and castoffs who've made it big WITHOUT this show And I'm talking about the kids who never even made it to the top 24!!!

Perfect example: Colbie Caillat. She never even made it to the judges the first time she tried out. The second time, she made it to the judges, but didn't even make it to Hollywood.

There's also Hillary Scott (from Lady Antebellum)
Then there's Amber Rily (is now on Glee)

Then, there are of course the dozens who made it to the top 24 and still got deals.
Amen TrinityLove. This is just another means to an end. And for those who hang around Hollyweird, it really IS just another casting call. You either make it or you don't. If you look at it that way you'll survive this insanity. The kids who invested their entire egos and life purpose into winning or losing AI are simply not ready for primetime. Look at what fame has done to celebrities through the years - Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Whitney Houston. And even Steven Tyler! If anything, I'd bet he is on this show to help them determine who won't be a train wreck if they get into the business. He would know.

This Is NOT a singing competition. It's a star competition. Singing great isn't enough. We even heard JLo say that when they were eliminating down to who would go to Vegas. Did you hear her? She said, "He's good, but he's not a star."

Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 AM

251 posts, read 572,122 times
I think that with how accessible EVERYTHING is with the convenience of the internet, these kids would have no problem figuring out how to make connections.
Some of them drive half way across the country just to go to an audition...it would be just as easy to drive to L.A. or New York where the majority of the connections would be.

Don't forget Youtube.

I think AI is just ONE stepping stone they've considered. Some of them forget that it's just ONE stepping stone and not one of potentially many. They put all their eggs in one basket sometimes.
I think they KNOW there are tons of other avenues. They just see this as the "easiest" and "quickest" way to get to where they want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV