Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times

Advertisements

They didn't kill him off, and he finally told Gemma how he felt, but I don't think it can go anywhere. She was moved, she kissed him, he nearly died to save her. In a different world they would start being a couple, but that does not fit here at all. I'm guessing either some kind of amnesia or personality change due to trauma (so it's Gemma's turn to suffer in silence) or something really wacky like they "uploaded" him into a computer and his body died.

BTW, the underwater scene with the window totally reminded me of the NOT PENNY'S BOAT scene from Lost. No, Charlie, noooo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
I have to say the underwater scene bothered me in one way (at least). Basic physics, at 90 feet the air is compressed three times the level as it is at sea level (90 feet down is three atmospheres of pressure). I am pretty sure both Fitz and Simmons could have taken small breaths off that canister and as they ascended, the air inside their lungs would have expanded filling their lungs completely (in fact, they should both keep their mouths open so the air doesn't expand so much as to rupture their lungs). Fitz advice to hold her breath was bad advice, physiologically speaking But the other way was more dramatic and I will let it slide since they both lived

Old 05-15-2014, 02:04 PM

861 posts, read 1,148,081 times
[quote=jillabean;34794465]I loved the "found it" moment. I think I even said out-loud (to my dog), "please tell me they didn't just leave his body there... ugh" and then I busted out laughing when "found it" happened.

I have to admit though, as much as I dislike the guy, I hated seeing Ward shot in the foot with a nail gun (mainly because I know how much that hurts!)

Any speculation on how exactly Fitz "will never be the same"?[/quote]

Maybe he will get through puberty??

Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,880 times
When the human brain is deprived of oxygen long enough, it can be very much "not the same". Depends on how much and how long, I guess. After DH went into septic shock years ago, his brain was deprived of adequate blood flow/blood pressure (and therefore, oxygen) somewhat for several days. Weeks later, when he was conscious again, he knew who he was, could talk some, but didn't always understand what was being said. His memory was affected, especially recent and short-term memory. He insisted I take him home, even though he was still in the MICU and couldn't walk. It took quite a while before his brain was pretty much functional again. And some little part of the damage persists even now. I hope Fitz recovers quickly!

Old 05-16-2014, 06:17 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
The finale was headed in the right direction, but this show is still lacking. It doesn't need more super heroes or action. It needs more empathy with its characters, and the characters need to start using their brains. And the snarky Whedonesque dialogue is way past its sell-by date.

One thing I didn't understand: The good guys were raiding a Top Secret SHIELD base taken over by Hydra. Okay. Why was there a construction site with hammers, nail guns, and a power saw on site? I'm pretty sure top secret military bunkers are not wood frame. That tends to defeat the whole "impenetrable base" idea, if a Passat could drive through your wall. Did that set up exist solely for a cool fight scene?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:44 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
They said in the very beginning that they were expanding for more employees due the 'incentive' program.

But yeah, it was also just a chance for a good fight scene.

I *like* the Whedonesque dialogue....

Old 05-16-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I *like* the Whedonesque dialogue....
"If it sounds like writing, then rewrite it." --- Elmore Leonard

Whedon's dialogue rings tinny because people don't talk like that. Every time his characters speak, I can actually see Whedon chewing on his pencil for 20 minutes as he came up with that line.

Whedon needs to stop trying to show everyone how smart he is and just craft characters.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:31 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
Of course people don't talk like that. They also don't build flying robotic suits, turn huge and green when angry, or have dinner with a Norse god.

I like that it's not taken totally seriously. Neither was Buffy and that was a great show...

Old 05-16-2014, 08:51 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Of course people don't talk like that. They also don't build flying robotic suits, turn huge and green when angry, or have dinner with a Norse god.

I like that it's not taken totally seriously. Neither was Buffy and that was a great show...
Yeah, Marvel comic book characters have always talked like that. Except for the Hulk, of course.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Buffy was over-rated in its day and hasn't aged well. The first season had a good episode or two but was largely forgettable. Seasons 2 and 3 were great. Season 4 began the downhill slide from which the show never recovered.

Dialogue is supposed to be an interaction between characters, preferably in conflict of some sort. Whedon's dialogue is a constant exchange of one-liners. It gets tiresome after about 10 seconds. He treats every line as if it's the punchline to a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV