Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 09:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times

Advertisements

So the books and show are significantly different? How are you book fans taking it? I like the show a lot but don't know what's "really" supposed to happen, like what ultimately happens to Cersei (I also read that--got a little overcurious on a wiki somewhere).

I've been wanting to read the books but was worried I knew too much of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:01 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I hated the final scene! I can't believe they went there! I wish Sansa would find a backbone and use it. Too bad she didn't inherit some of Arya's attitude. I hope something horrible happens to Ramsey now.
Could've been worse. At least they weren't siblings.

Oh, and there was no corpse involved this time.

J/K.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:19 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
I'm enjoying this season. Not every episode is dancing dragons. It takes time to set the chessboard, and it's clear we are in a mode where the pieces are being moved into position.

I wasn't happy about Sansa's "wedding night" either. But I think we need to remember this is a story where her dad were unceremoniously killed right in front of her, her mother & brother murdered, her family torn asunder. She's been pledged to monsters before. Life can be an absolute ***** in Westeros.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:51 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,737,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm enjoying this season. Not every episode is dancing dragons. It takes time to set the chessboard, and it's clear we are in a mode where the pieces are being moved into position.

I wasn't happy about Sansa's "wedding night" either. But I think we need to remember this is a story where her dad were unceremoniously killed right in front of her, her mother & brother murdered, her family torn asunder. She's been pledged to monsters before. Life can be an absolute ***** in Westeros.
That's one thing about GOT that I've come to dislike. It's over the top dramatization. Last season it was Theon who was tortured and beaten into utter submission; and we were treated to tediously gruesome scene after scene of that story arc. It seems Sansa is this season's torture victim and the pile on misery is pointless, IMO. We already know what happened to her entire family and she's already the most clueless and manipulated character in the entire GOT universe. So what's the purpose of adding such a despicable misery on top of everything else? To drive a point home about how bad Sansa's fate is? We already got the point many episodes ago.

One thing that every writer should understand, there has to be a pay off somewhere, especially for a character that viewers have invested years to watch. It doesn't have to be a big pay off ala Kill Bill, but there has to be a break for the character, even a small one would do, or the viewers will lose heart and interest. This viewer certainly has.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:01 AM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
[quote=astrohip;39657526]I'm enjoying this season. Not every episode is dancing dragons. It takes time to set the chessboard, and it's clear we are in a mode where the pieces are being moved into position.
quote]

I'm not, they're diverging too much from the books and creating too many paradoxes.

You're right about setting the board, which the books do. Sometimes ponderously.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:06 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
So the books and show are significantly different? apparently so How are you book fans taking it? tuning out and may catch up on reading when the last books come out ... or not. a little fed up I like the show a lot but don't know what's "really" supposed to happen, like what ultimately happens to Cersei (I also read that--got a little overcurious on a wiki somewhere).I don't watch the show. Watch OTA shows but do read on line summaries.

I've been wanting to read the books but was worried I knew too much of the story.
If you read the books it will give you a deeper experience and understanding of the perspectives of the characters. Yet from the way the TV show is diverging it may not help you with the plot.

The people who watch the show seem to get the adventure story version or plot events. or it seems that way to me from comments on this thread.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:23 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
That's one thing about GOT that I've come to dislike. It's over the top dramatization. Last season it was Theon who was tortured and beaten into utter submission; and we were treated to tediously gruesome scene after scene of that story arc. It seems Sansa is this season's torture victim and the pile on misery is pointless, IMO. We already know what happened to her entire family and she's already the most clueless and manipulated character in the entire GOT universe. So what's the purpose of adding such a despicable misery on top of everything else? To drive a point home about how bad Sansa's fate is? We already got the point many episodes ago.

One thing that every writer should understand, there has to be a pay off somewhere, especially for a character that viewers have invested years to watch. It doesn't have to be a big pay off ala Kill Bill, but there has to be a break for the character, even a small one would do, or the viewers will lose heart and interest. This viewer certainly has.
Yup. Well said.

The violence in general and sexual violence in this show is getting a bit much. I know this kind of stuff happened in the Middle Ages, but the show is getting way too rapey for me. It's almost as if the writers are sitting around, saying, "We haven't had a shocking scene in a few episodes. Which character haven't we had raped onscreen yet?"

Enough already.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. Well said.

The violence in general and sexual violence in this show is getting a bit much. I know this kind of stuff happened in the Middle Ages, but the show is getting way too rapey for me. It's almost as if the writers are sitting around, saying, "We haven't had a shocking scene in a few episodes. Which character haven't we had raped onscreen yet?"

Enough already.
Right. More action, less gory, gratuitous soapy crap.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
LOTS of violence in the books. The show has not even covered it all and probably won't. As for action, what are you looking for??? In the last few episodes alone: Dragons devour one of Meerenese leaders, Ser Barristan killed, Loras arrested, Margery arrested, attack of Jorah and Tyrion by Stonemen then captured by slavers, Jorah contracting greyscale, an attempt on Myrcella's life, fight between Sandsnakes, Bronn and Jaime, B& J captured, Sansa's wedding, Sansa's wedding night rape.

Hardly devoid of action, and if shocking events were all omitted, you would not have an adaptation of George Martin's story. You'd have a different story altogether.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:11 AM

122 posts, read 176,823 times
Wouldn't Cersei think Peter Baelish was involved in Joffrey's death? He fled the city with Sansa right during Joffrey's death, yet she is somehow having a discussion with him on the last episode. The show's plot lines are getting a bit tired in my opinion. Arya who used to be very interesting now has the story that is the most boring. What happened to Bran also? The whole season the special child is missing. And the rape scene with Sansa, pretty bad, although even Daenerys was raped before becoming queen. But a poor way to end an episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV