Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 07:42 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Are you kidding me??, it's imposed throughout the show. It's my opinion.
Particularly that car scene.
Take a chill pill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Exactly, sounds like you're the one who should be swallowing that pill or not watching a show featuring subject matter centered around crime if you think every time they show a scene of someone doing something it reflects back on all or any one group as a whole. I certainly didn't view it that way so see, differing opinions. No muss no foul.
I agree with Gilah. I thought the same thing. Yes it is a crime show. However many people will watch this and infer closeted men are violent. Sadly there are too many people that paint a broad strike a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 08:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I agree with Gilah. I thought the same thing. Yes it is a crime show. However many people will watch this and infer closeted men are violent. Sadly there are too many people that paint a broad strike a group.
All Muslims are terrorists
All Black people are criminals and/or on welfare
All Latina women carry knives in their purses
All Asian women are docile and submissive to men

On and on...

It's not the show's fault if people cannot see people as individuals. ABC is known as a network that is extremely pro-gay. They would not allow a show that was intentionally negative towards gay men.

The show isn't responsible for the ideas people create in their own minds about gay people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I like Hector being in the show! And he's a good guy. I can't remember whose computer he has or how that helps Taylor, but it's cool t have him on.
Do we really know if he's a good guy? He offered to help Anne but how?

On a different note, does anyone else find it disturbing that Eric keeps seeking out hookups with random older adult men he meets on the internet? Why isn't he trying to find a boyfriend who is the same age?

Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

On and on...

It's not the show's fault if people cannot see people as individuals. ABC is known as a network that is extremely pro-gay. They would not allow a show that was intentionally negative towards gay men.

The show isn't responsible for the ideas people create in their own minds about gay people.
I agree it's not the shows fault. It's not meant to make the audience comfortable. The thought just crossed my mind when the scene with the married man happened.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I agree it's not the shows fault. It's not meant to make the audience comfortable. The thought just crossed my mind when the scene with the married man happened.
Yeah, I hear what you're saying.

Oddly enough, we don't even know if the guy was really gay. Maybe I watch too much Criminal Minds, but since it was a random meeting arranged on the internet, that guy could have just been a violent criminal with mental issues. He couldn't even "get it up" when given the alleged opportunity to "be himself."

Old 02-21-2016, 11:10 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:

On and on...

Do we really know if he's a good guy? He offered to help Anne but how?

On a different note, does anyone else find it disturbing that Eric keeps seeking out hookups with random older adult men he meets on the internet? Why isn't he trying to find a boyfriend who is the same age?

Old 02-21-2016, 11:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
does anyone else find it disturbing that Eric keeps seeking out hookups with random older adult men he meets on the internet? Why isn't he trying to find a boyfriend who is the same age?
You've seen the way Eric's attempt to be with someone his own age blew up in his (and everyone else's) face. Obviously, he's not equipped for it, practically or emotionally. Also, realize that when you're 17 and gay, most of the rest of the sex-having universe is older men. In my (pre-internet) day, hitchhiking was a way for gay teens to pick up other guys, the very definition of "random." And practically everyone who had his own car was older than a teenager. Fortunately, the statutory rape age in my state was under 16. Of course, nobody thought in those terms in the 1970s.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You've seen the way Eric's attempt to be with someone his own age blew up in his (and everyone else's) face. Obviously, he's not equipped for it, practically or emotionally. Also, realize that when you're 17 and gay, most of the rest of the sex-having universe is older men. In my (pre-internet) day, hitchhiking was a way for gay teens to pick up other guys, the very definition of "random." And practically everyone who had his own car was older than a teenager. Fortunately, the statutory rape age in my state was under 16. Of course, nobody thought in those terms in the 1970s.
There are more gay teenage boys in town than Taylor. In the two hook ups we've seen, Eric just wants to kiss. That seems more probable with another teenager than an adult man. An adult is most likely going to want full sex.

How could Eric not be equipped for dating a same age teenage boy but is equipped to have random, potentially dangerous encounters with strangers. I find it unsavory that there are adults creeping on children (gay or straight).

Oh yeah...anyone else think it was Michael that had Anne's medical records leaked online?

Old 02-21-2016, 11:52 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
A little off topic, but, thought I would share, one of my close friend's, who's son happens to be gay, he and his fiance just had their engagement party this past week, very well adjusted human beings like so many others gay or not.

Last edited by TRosa; 02-22-2016 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 12:07 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
There are more gay teenage boys in town than Taylor. In the two hook ups we've seen, Eric just wants to kiss. That seems more probable with another teenager than an adult man. An adult is most likely going to want full sex.
My assumption in each case was that Eric wasn't attracted enough to either of the adults to do anything more than kissing. I found Eric to be the one in control in the first hookup. The second one was so insane, I cannot opine further (I need to rewatch it to be sure who attacked whom first).

Quote:
How could Eric not be equipped for dating a same age teenage boy but is equipped to have random, potentially dangerous encounters with strangers. I find it unsavory that there are adults creeping on children (gay or straight).
"Random, potentially dangerous encounters with strangers" have the advantage of being far less intimate encounters than those he might have with guys his own age. And again, we've seen what happened when Eric got together with Taylor. We don't know everything, but apparently he chose to **** Taylor with the entire basketball team watching. Some more typical teen might have a more typical teen encounter, i.e., out of the eyes of, well, everyone, and you might find that kind of encounter more "savory," but that is not the story that is being told. I'm dealing with the story and the characters as provided, not some imaginary concept of how people ought to act.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I'm dealing with the story and the characters as provided, not some imaginary concept of how people ought to act.
Yep, me too. I find that Eric is making poor, dangerous choices. Just like a lot of people on the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV