Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 08:30 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I need a map and an outline!

Here's a couple of maps to help. One of Westeros, showing the old Kingdoms. The other a stylized graphic of the world.
Attached Thumbnails
Game of Thrones Season 7-map_westeros_political.jpg   Game of Thrones Season 7-world_map_of_ice_and_fire_by_other_in_law-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Here's a couple of maps to help. One of Westeros, showing the old Kingdoms. The other a stylized graphic of the world.
They are much farther than i thought!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:58 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times
And by that map, it makes no sense for Dragonstone to be abandoned.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Martin has obviously been using Europe in the Middle Ages as a general framework. I have been working on the assumptions that the Ironborn are more or less equivalent to the Norse, the Dornish are supposed to be vaguely representing Spain, and the Dothraki are pretty clearly inspired by the Mongols. The crumbled Volantis is the defunct Roman Empire.

I'm unsure about the free cities of Essos...do they represent the world of Islam or maybe the surviving Eastern part of the Roman Empire?

Old 07-21-2017, 11:56 AM

212 posts, read 417,862 times
Meanwhile, maybe all of Gendry's rowing will land him on Dragonstone. I don't believe he is a Targaryan but his father was a Baratheon? Does that still make him from royal blood and maybe a candiate for Dany's husband?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Martin has obviously been using Europe in the Middle Ages as a general framework. I have been working on the assumptions that the Ironborn are more or less equivalent to the Norse, the Dornish are supposed to be vaguely representing Spain, and the Dothraki are pretty clearly inspired by the Mongols. The crumbled Volantis is the defunct Roman Empire.
George RR Martin is on record as saying that the Dothraki are a potpurri of various horse cultures, from both Eurasia and North America.

As for the Northerners, they've always come across to me as Scotsmen.

Quote:
I'm unsure about the free cities of Essos...do they represent the world of Islam or maybe the surviving Eastern part of the Roman Empire?
The Free Cities always reminded me of the Italian city-states.

Last edited by djmilf; 07-21-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's been pointed out elsewhere that the map of Westeros seems to be a mash-up of the British Isles.

Take Britain, cut it in half between England and Scotland, flip the England/Wales part to a mirror image (left to right), invert Ireland and glue it to the top of mirrored England/Wales, and then stick Scotland on top of inverted Ireland.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

The Free Cities always reminded me of the Italian city-states.
I had thought of that, but had been thinking that perhaps the Dornish were supposed to be a mashup of the Spanish and the Italians....the Latin races. The Italian city-states might have been represented by the Slaver's Bay communities. There is a better one to one equivalency between the free cities and Venice et al.

If we accept the free cities/Italian city states representation, what then would the Slaver's Bay cities represent?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I had thought of that, but had been thinking that perhaps the Dornish were supposed to be a mashup of the Spanish and the Italians....the Latin races. The Italian city-states might have been represented by the Slaver's Bay communities. There is a better one to one equivalency between the free cities and Venice et al.

If we accept the free cities/Italian city states representation, what then would the Slaver's Bay cities represent?
The Free Cities were colonies/outposts of the Valyrian Empire, making them newer than the founding of Valyria.

The cities of Slaver's Bay claim to be much older than Valyria. There are fan wiki's that claim that the Slaver cities were outposts of the Ghiscari Empire, which was old when Valyria was founded. It would seem that the Ghiscari Empire was Carthage to Valyria's Rome. I'd like to say that makes the Slaver Bay cities equivalent to cities in the Eastern Mediterranean prior to Christianity, but it might also be a mash-up of all societies based on a slave economy...and Yunkai always struck me as sounding a little too much like 'Yankee'.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The Free Cities were colonies/outposts of the Valyrian Empire, making them newer than the founding of Valyria.

The cities of Slaver's Bay claim to be much older than Valyria. There are fan wiki's that claim that the Slaver cities were outposts of the Ghiscari Empire, which was old when Valyria was founded. It would seem that the Ghiscari Empire was Carthage to Valyria's Rome. I'd like to say that makes the Slaver Bay cities equivalent to cities in the Eastern Mediterranean prior to Christianity, but it might also be a mash-up of all societies based on a slave economy...and Yunkai always struck me as sounding a little too much like 'Yankee'.
Going with the "older than Valyria" idea, might the Slaver's Bay cities represent the former empire of Alexander after the Islamic conquest? Despite the slave culture, those cities are represented on the show as being more advanced in architecture and education than are the Westeros communties ..save the Citadel in Dorne..which in itself could represent the legacy of the Moors in Spain. Alexander's empire included Egypt, which would account for the Meereen pyramids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV