Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 01:19 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Going with the "older than Valyria" idea, might the Slaver's Bay cities represent the former empire of Alexander after the Islamic conquest? Despite the slave culture, those cities are represented on the show as being more advanced in architecture and education than are the Westeros communties ..save the Citadel in Dorne..which in itself could represent the legacy of the Moors in Spain. Alexander's empire included Egypt, which would account for the Meereen pyramids.
And harpies, a staple of Slaver Bay culture, are Greek-based mythology.

You probably got it right - the post-Alexander cities of the Middle East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 02:30 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I didn't think the Faceless Men could assume the voices of the faces they wore. How did Arya manage to sound exactly like Walder Frey?

Sansa is going to be a real thorn in John's side....it's obvious she wants to be in charge and there will be a huge power play. Her undermining him at the meeting didn't go well at all.
I think she still has resentment towards Jon, and with no knowledge of his true parentage, maybe she feels she is the rightful owner as ruler of the North, not Jon.

Either way, I don't trust her. She's had no problems throwing her sister and father out to the wolves to please her prince in the past. Whose to say she hasn't gotten more sinister over the years?

Old 07-21-2017, 04:31 PM

212 posts, read 417,862 times
Back to Gendry for a sec - as a child he remembered his tavern-wench mother as having blond hair. Was she perhaps a Taegarean off-shoot? That would mean that Gendry would be both a Baratheon and a Targarean. Even better as husband material for Dany.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:16 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I have them on my tablet. I honestly couldn't get into them.
I'm re-reading the series now. I have the set but remember having to force myself to get through #4. It was filled with a bunch of non-events that really lost my interest. I never made it to #5. I am finishing up #2 and it still holds my interest. We'll see if I can make it through all 5 this time around.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:00 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
Back to Gendry for a sec - as a child he remembered his tavern-wench mother as having blond hair. Was she perhaps a Taegarean off-shoot? That would mean that Gendry would be both a Baratheon and a Targarean. Even better as husband material for Dany.
But where is he now? I admit that I'm a little bit vague about even who he is, but isn't the key question how a potential husband would add to her geopolitical power? It certainly seems to be the main thing she's interested in. What does he do for her there?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I'm re-reading the series now. I have the set but remember having to force myself to get through #4. It was filled with a bunch of non-events that really lost my interest. I never made it to #5. I am finishing up #2 and it still holds my interest. We'll see if I can make it through all 5 this time around.
I've made it through all of them, but confess to hitting a wall after # 3 and struggling to get through four and five rather than enjoying them. Martin's saga keeps sprawling and expanding...and losing its cohesiveness as a consequence.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:44 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
On s6 finale and then s7!!

I really loved the bastard fight... i couldnt help but laugh at certain parts.

I DO have a question:
Spoiler
In the episode where the lannisters take back the castle, they hang their banner BUT what is the other banner that looked like a castle they hung along side it?

Old 07-22-2017, 06:21 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I DO have a question: in the episode where the lannisters take back the castle, they hang their banner BUT what is the other banner that looked like a castle they hung along side it?
No need for spoilers on events that have already happened.

Do you mean the Starks? Winterfell?

Old 07-22-2017, 06:38 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I DO have a question: In the episode where the lannisters take back the castle, they hang their banner BUT what is the other banner that looked like a castle they hung along side it?
The Castle sigil belongs to House Frey of the Two Towers. House Frey was a vassal of House Tully, but switched to become a vassal of House Lannister.

The Blackfish, Brynden Tully, had rallied the Tully armies in the Riverlands and taken Riverrun Castle back from the Freys. The Freys, better at collecting tolls and conducting Red Weddings than waging war, were laying seige to Riverrun...poorly.

Jamie Lannister, at the head of a Lannister army sent to help retake the castle for House Frey, struck a deal with Frey-held hostage Edmure Tully, heir of House Tully and actual Lord of Riverrun while it was in Tully possession, to surrender the castle back to the Lannister and Frey forces. In return, Edmure's wife and son would live at Casterly Rock, ancestral seat of the Lannisters, and Edmure's son would be raised to be a knight.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The Castle sigil belongs to House Frey of the Two Towers. House Frey was a vassal of House Tully, but switched to become a vassal of House Lannister.

The Blackfish, Brynden Tully, had rallied the Tully armies in the Riverlands and taken Riverrun Castle back from the Freys. The Freys, better at collecting tolls and conducting Red Weddings than waging war, were laying seige to Riverrun...poorly.

Jamie Lannister, at the head of a Lannister army sent to help retake the castle for House Frey, struck a deal with Frey-held hostage Edmure Tully, heir of House Tully and actual Lord of Riverrun while it was in Tully possession, to surrender the castle back to the Lannister and Frey forces. In return, Edmure's wife and son would live at Casterly Rock, ancestral seat of the Lannisters, and Edmure's son would be raised to be a knight.
Yes, thank you for explaining that.

and i did a spoiler in case someone had not seen the episode yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV