Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 12:48 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wonder why they weren't invited over early so that they could get used to the idea, get over the jet lag, meet everyone, be present for wedding rehearsals, get comfortable with their surroundings. It seems very strange. Even for a normal wedding, there are rehearsals. There's been enough notice of the wedding so what prevented either of them from being there, getting ready? Who on earth planned this thing anyway?

You made a lot of good points. Maybe her father had a panic attack and really did mistake it for a heart attack. Maybe he is just clueless and gullible. Then, of course, the wicked sister didn't really want him to go so she is probably cackling away in glee.

It's been mentioned that her mother might walk her down the aisle or Prince Charles. She must be devastated though.

For once I also feel a little bit sad for Fergie. It's Prince Philip who despises her but c'mon, she and Andrew are still close and their daughters are invited to the reception. How petty.

Right about now, maybe the rest of us can be thankful that we're just not royal, lol. What a pathetic mess.
It does seem strange the gal's parents weren't brought over at least a week ago. This is going to be a massive media circus, and they won't be used to anything like this.

They should have been prepared for this, and have nerves settled. Put 'em up in Buckingham Palace, and have a few drinks with the Queen. Just let 'em know she's just your ordinary billionaire, who lives in a massive tax payer funded home in central London.

There will be telly cameras everywhere on the day, and it will be very unsettling for the parents of the bride. I can quite understand her father losing his nerve.

I thought I'd seen it all with the Royals, and they had learned some lessons from the Diana fiasco. But nope, they have managed to mess this up. Their underlings are the ones really to blame. The Queen is a very old woman, can't blame her for this mess.

I am sure the old girl will put a nice hat on, and smile on Saturday. Phil on the other hand may not......
I'm definitely going to watch it now! I have taken no interest in it at all until it's started to hit the fan!!

Old 05-15-2018, 01:06 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

If Mr. Markle were clearly ill and hospitalized, I think his absence and even a postponement of the wedding would be readily accepted and there would be a great deal of sympathy for him and Meghan and Harry, but claiming a heart attack sounds desperate and is very unconvincing, in light of his documented recent activities and absence of any evidence of medical treatment. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a panic attack, maybe with a racing heart, when the reality of what's coming this weekend hit him. He's shown very bad judgment - or perhaps just a good deal of gullibility and unworldliness.

It also seems very odd to me that both parents were not quietly brought over a week or so earlier, to deal with jet lag, meet the extended Royals privately and have any nerves laid to rest, have final fittings of wedding finery, ask any questions they might have, learn what would be expected to occur on the wedding day, rehearse their parts, perhaps taken to see a little of the countryside or scenic/historic sights, and so on. It would have been a great kindness for this to have occurred, especially for Mr. Markle. Perhaps the offer was made and refused, however.
Both parents were scheduled to come over this week to meet the inlaws and get their bearings. Meghan's mother is already there, and her father was supposed to fly over before all this drama happened. He's too embarrassed now.

I think Mr. Markle is in desperate circumstances and partly agreed to the photos for money.

He went through bankruptcy for about $32,000 of debt and only had $160-something in savings at the time. I believe the bankruptcy happened the same year Meghan started dating Harry. I have rightfully defended Meghan on here from some silly accusations before, but now it seems clear that she did nothing to help her father avoid bankruptcy.

Some people think that helping her father isn't her obligation, but I think when you're worth $5 million as she is, it would have been a drop in the bucket. Also, given the fact that he sent her to the best schools and did everything to help her succeed, and ended up struggling in his old age, she'd have to be heartless to ignore his plight.

He's retired in Mexico because he can't afford to live in the U.S., barely scraping by on a tiny pension, and now the world beats a path to his door. The British press has taken great delight in documenting how shabby his existence is down there, and taking photos to prove it and subjecting him to derision. I'm looking at you, Daily Mail. But other news outlets have followed suit.

How on earth did Meghan not see this day coming? A little financial help and relocating her father to a more private location would have gone a long way.

I also think not inviting her half-brother was a mistake. Her half-sister is clearly not to be trusted, so I understand not inviting her. Her half-brother has personal issues, BUT he had not said anything negative until he reached out though his lawyer to the palace to ask about an invitation, and Meghan's lawyer answered that he was "distant family" and that "she didn't know those people." Shouldn't Meghan have called her own half-brother on the phone and spoken to him personally? He is not distant family. He once lived in their father's house with her!

She hasn't handled her family well. She didn't even invite her diplomat uncle who pulled strings to get her an internship to an American Embassy that she always talks about. I think she wishes her extended family had all disappeared from the planet because they don't fit into her new life.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 05-15-2018 at 01:17 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Both parents were scheduled to come over this week to meet the inlaws and get their bearings. Meghan's mother is already there, and her father was supposed to fly over before all this drama happened. He's too embarrassed now.

I think Mr. Markle is in desperate circumstances and partly agreed to the photos for money.

He went through bankruptcy for about $32,000 of debt and only had $160-something in savings at the time. I believe the bankruptcy happened the same year Meghan started dating Harry. I have rightfully defended Meghan on here from some silly accusations before, but now it seems clear that she did nothing to help her father avoid bankruptcy.

Some people think that helping her father isn't her obligation, but I think when you're worth $5 million as she is, it would have been a drop in the bucket. Also, given the fact that he sent her to the best schools and did everything to help her succeed, and ended up struggling in his old age, she'd have to be heartless to ignore his plight.

He's retired in Mexico because he can't afford to live in the U.S., barely scraping by on a tiny pension, and now the world beats a path to his door. The British press has taken great delight in documenting how shabby his existence is down there, and taking photos to prove it and subjecting him to derision. I'm looking at you, Daily Mail. But other news outlets have followed suit.

How on earth did Meghan not see this day coming? A little financial help and relocating her father to a more private location would have gone a long way.
All this is news to me. As I said, I haven't taken the slightest interest in this wedding before now. I had no idea that Meghan Markle was rich, and that her dad was so poor.

As you say, why did she allow the poor guy to become a bankrupt? She is supposed to be real close to her dad, so why would she allow such humiliation?

It looks like he tried to earn a few dollars from iffy photos for the media. He must feel ashamed, and upset by all this attention.

The Queen needs to knock a few heads together now, to save this event from becoming a fiasco. Get some underlings over there to reassure Meghan's dad. Start throwing some money around, and get him over here in a nice suit, to walk his daughter down the aisle.

Will he make it? Stay tuned for the next episode........

Old 05-15-2018, 01:41 AM

Must get some popcorn while we're out today........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-l6tHeseDY

Old 05-15-2018, 02:09 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Weddings never go completely to plan, I guess a Royal one is no different, in my family weddings always seem to end up with some king of a fight! Last time it was the grooms mother! I am sure things won't descend to that level! Putting the whole circus to one side it looks to me like the couple genuinely love each other and I wish them all the best.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:06 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Her mother is here living at Kenisington Palace but her father now has said he has taken a heart attack and may not make the wedding. what a mess this is.. and now its said her mother will walk her down the aisle and not new to the Royals as Victoria did this for two of her daughters...https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...i-prince-harry

Old 05-15-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
All this is news to me. As I said, I haven't taken the slightest interest in this wedding before now. I had no idea that Meghan Markle was rich, and that her dad was so poor.

As you say, why did she allow the poor guy to become a bankrupt? She is supposed to be real close to her dad, so why would she allow such humiliation?

It looks like he tried to earn a few dollars from iffy photos for the media. He must feel ashamed, and upset by all this attention.

The Queen needs to knock a few heads together now, to save this event from becoming a fiasco. Get some underlings over there to reassure Meghan's dad. Start throwing some money around, and get him over here in a nice suit, to walk his daughter down the aisle.

Will he make it? Stay tuned for the next episode........
Seems he allowed photos to be taken of him , being fitted for a suit for the wedding... it seems he paid for Meghan acting school and was good to her... Her mother still works as a yoga teacher and social worker.... now the man has said he s had a heart attack and wont attend the wedding.. this is some mess...and how embarrassing at the last minute .

Old 05-15-2018, 03:18 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Her mother is here living at Kenisington Palace but her father now has said he has taken a heart attack and may not make the wedding. what a mess this is.. and now its said her mother will walk her down the aisle and not new to the Royals as Victoria did this for two of her daughters...https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...i-prince-harry
It's a huge mess. The Royal Family is going all out to make everything perfect for a new life, and she is putting old grudges squarely in the spot lights. She should have taken the high road and invited her entire family to attend her wedding, and she should have helped her father out financially so he didn't have to embarrass himself with fake photos to pay the bills.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
I find it quite strange that there has been no effort by Harry or Meghan for her family to meet Harry and his family....I don't think this would be a good start to a marriage. Also, barring a health debilitation, I would never miss walking my daughter down the aisle.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I find it quite strange that there has been no effort by Harry or Meghan for her family to meet Harry and his family....I don't think this would be a good start to a marriage. Also, barring a health debilitation, I would never miss walking my daughter down the aisle.
Harry has met her mother.... hes in quite a few photos with the woman... her father though I dont know about , and dont think theyve met each other.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom