Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times

Advertisements

this is beginning to feel like a thread where we post our ufo experiences. "i swear i've seen them!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
LOL Aaron. It does, but if people start claiming that the fireflies have taken them to their nest to conduct experiments, I am leaving this state! It doesn't matter HOW much I love it here!!

Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,111 times
Are you sure they are the fireflies with actual light? And not the red markings on the wings? Do they actually glow at night? If so, I want to know where they are in Utah!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I've personally never seen one here in Utah, not to say that others haven't. But I've noticed among coworkers/friends/family that they call what are actually 'box elder bugs' as fireflies for some reason.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 AM

3 posts, read 17,137 times
No Fireflies in Utah

Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avonley View Post
Are you sure they are the fireflies with actual light? And not the red markings on the wings? Do they actually glow at night? If so, I want to know where they are in Utah!!!
yes, they glow at night. they are 100% real fireflies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I've personally never seen one here in Utah, not to say that others haven't. But I've noticed among coworkers/friends/family that they call what are actually 'box elder bugs' as fireflies for some reason.
box elder bugs do not glow. fireflies do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUrmann View Post
No Fireflies in Utah
i have spent many summers in different parts of the country where fireflies are common, and what i have seen in utah are definitely fireflies.

unless you mean to convince me that they are really miniature phosphorescent UFOs. in that case, i'll listen to your theories out of sheer, incredulous curiosity.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
lol Never said I don't ever sweat here in Utah. I did hiking today. lol Maybe my sweat will attract the lightning bugs. lol I sweat doing any gardening or flowering in the summer. I just meant not nearly as much as in humid Ohio. lol I was sweating there in not even 60 degree night temps as I wasn't used to the humidity anymore. lol
The amount you sweat depends on body temperature, which can be affected by air temperature. Whether you are in a dry climate or humid climate you will sweat the same amount. The difference is, in a dry climate the sweat evaporates faster and it just seems like you are not sweating as much. This is why people get into trouble in dry areas, because they do not realize they are losing the water in their body. To some extent, the drier climate helps to keep the body temp down, due to the inceased evaporation, which should result is less sweat. But, still, given the same body temp, you would sweat the same no matter where you are.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Fireflies make an appearance in Utah County | ksl.com

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 AM

224 posts, read 640,167 times
I thought of this thread too when I saw that story.... Now I want to go invade that hay pasture.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 PM

15 posts, read 46,088 times
Never seen fireflies in Utah. I've also lived in Washington State and Idaho, and never heard of them there, either.
Hope this helps your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah