Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
The 25,000-square-foot space identified for a grocer is too large for TJ's, which averages more like 15,000. That "restaurant" space at the north end is the right size, though.

Another challenge for a grocer is that it's on the west side of Route 1. Among grocers' considerations is being on the "home-bound" side of the street -- i.e., a right-in-right-out for PM rush hour commuters. On Route 1, that means the east side of the street.

It'll be interesting to watch Lidl's strategy. They've got quite a few HQ job postings up in Arlington right now.
Interesting indeed! I've seen a report (unconfirmed) that they are going for a store size of 25-30K SF, which is much bigger than their EU size, or Aldi's size here, which is typically 15-18K. I wonder if they are going to start here at a higher base similar to how they have evolved in the UK. Like Aldi, low prices on the basics, but they are also adding more and more upscale private label like Trader Joe. Maybe they'll do a hybrid store. It would make some sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 11:49 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Route one was best in the 1950's. There were a lot of neon signs, Mom and Pop stores, and no hellish fast food joints. Houses had summer awnings, and character. So many of my childhood neighborhoods changed into hell holes. There were vegetable stands along the road, and nice souvenir shops. The lighting was better, too. There were no gaudy halogen type white "in yer face" lights. We didn't have McDonalds every few miles, and convenience stores every few feet. I saw old Victorian mansions and decent brick schools torn down to make room for something ugly. The Town Square in Riverdale Park (by the tracks) has had empty stores for over a decade. I think it's a bad idea to imitate the "yuppie style" Hyattsville. Luckily, they have seen fit to preserve a lot of the old unique buildings. Little towns should not look like every other town, and Urban blight can do just that with all of the ugly sign pollution. The shabby construction on many new buildings would make my grandparents spin in their graves.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:33 AM

1,261 posts, read 694,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Route one was best in the 1950's. There were a lot of neon signs, Mom and Pop stores, and no hellish fast food joints. Houses had summer awnings, and character. So many of my childhood neighborhoods changed into hell holes. There were vegetable stands along the road, and nice souvenir shops. The lighting was better, too. There were no gaudy halogen type white "in yer face" lights. We didn't have McDonalds every few miles, and convenience stores every few feet. I saw old Victorian mansions and decent brick schools torn down to make room for something ugly. The Town Square in Riverdale Park (by the tracks) has had empty stores for over a decade. I think it's a bad idea to imitate the "yuppie style" Hyattsville. Luckily, they have seen fit to preserve a lot of the old unique buildings. Little towns should not look like every other town, and Urban blight can do just that with all of the ugly sign pollution. The shabby construction on many new buildings would make my grandparents spin in their graves.
and it still looks like the 1950's......time to catch-up

Old 06-11-2015, 05:29 AM

282 posts, read 322,663 times
City and UMD collaborate on 'Greater College Park' to make improvements - News - The Diamondback Online

Old 06-11-2015, 12:09 PM

College Park can't seem to keep its eateries open - The Diamondback : News

REASONS FOR FAILURE
In the past two years, more than five popular College Park eateries have closed for good. The former site of Garbanzo Mediterranean Grill is still looking for a new tenant. Lime Fresh Mexican Grill (which itself replaced California Tortilla) has already been replaced by Blaze Pizza. Roti Mediterranean Grill is now The Board and Brew, a board game cafe.

Even the city bars have called it quits: The Barking Dog ceased operations in November 2013 and could house a new university-sponsored art house. Big Play Sports Grill, one of several restaurants to occupy the corner of Route 1 and Hartwick Road, closed in the fall.

Is there any cohesion to these closings? Is this normal? Yes, and at the same time, no, says Michael Stiefvater, College Park’s economic development coordinator.

“It’s kind of just the nature of retail,” Stiefvater said. “It changes often. People are into different types of cuisine.”

In an urban retail climate, the average restaurant takes a few months to stabilize, and many restaurants don’t make it to a year, Stiefvater said.

A number of things cause restaurants to fail: bad food, bad management or unpreparedness for a competitive market.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:50 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Hmmmm. so the ACC was keeping College Park down? I found this article from last year about how the Big Ten is partly driving the current boom in College Park. I know a lot of people weren't happy. But does the current boom make Wallace Loh look like a genius?

Quote:
Is the school's switch from the Atlantic Coast Conference to the Big Ten prompting some of the activity?
It has for Chicago-based CA Ventures, which is building a 283-unit apartment complex on the former Maryland Book Exchange site at Baltimore and College avenues. The company began trying to acquire the corner more than two years ago.
"We became more interested after the [ November 2012 conference switch] announcement, being Midwestern Big Ten guys from Illinois," CA Ventures' principal JJ Smith told me. "National attention on the sporting field brings national attention from the real estate investment community, no question."
College Park prepares for growth spurt as University of Maryland begins Big Ten era - Washington Business Journal

Old 06-17-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Hmmmm. so the ACC was keeping College Park down? I found this article from last year about how the Big Ten is partly driving the current boom in College Park. I know a lot of people weren't happy. But does the current boom make Wallace Loh look like a genius?

College Park prepares for growth spurt as University of Maryland begins Big Ten era - Washington Business Journal
I believe they have done this sort of article before. However, personally, I think the boom is due to the market, NOT the big ten switch although that probably didnt hurt. I believe more Big Ten fans travel then ACC fans for football so there is a need for more amenties and hotel rooms. But the area is booming with more retail and apartments, so it was only a matter of time before CP got going...

Old 06-17-2015, 12:40 PM

Some preliminary rough drafts of College Park's Innovation District. I don't expect these to be set in stone at this point in time. Though the building at the university's entrance and the one with the sky walk seem to already have details to their structures. The Hotel at University of Maryland is the large building taking up an entire block to the south of those two buildings.

University of Maryland – Campus Master Plan Study — Portfolio

Old 06-18-2015, 08:01 AM

New incubator and innovation programs beginning to pay off. Exciting times for the College Park area. I look forward to hearing more announcements like this. It's not as sexy as the 3-D car factory at National Harbor, but nevertheless, it is a good signal for the future of the county.

Congrats to UMDCP, the county, and the state.

Quote:
COLLEGE PARK, Md. – FlexEl LLC, a custom battery solutions company, will open a research, development and manufacturing facility in Prince George’s County, Md. FlexEl was spun out of the University of Maryland based upon a thin film battery technology in 2008. The company, which won the Maryland Incubator Company of the Year award in 2010 and launched as a startup at the University of Maryland, will lease more than 10,000 square-feet from the university. FlexEl currently has 10 full-time employees and plans to add an additional 50 new jobs over the next five years.
Custom Battery Manufacturer, FlexEl, to Open State-of-the-Art-Facility in College Park | UMD Right Now :: University of Maryland

Old 06-18-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
New incubator and innovation programs beginning to pay off. Exciting times for the College Park area. I look forward to hearing more announcements like this. It's not as sexy as the 3-D car factory at National Harbor, but nevertheless, it is a good signal for the future of the county.

Congrats to UMDCP, the county, and the state.

Custom Battery Manufacturer, FlexEl, to Open State-of-the-Art-Facility in College Park | UMD Right Now :: University of Maryland
It is a win for College Park, Prince Georges and Maryland. They were peeking around Montgomery County and VA for a while until UM stepped up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland