Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 06:56 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Is this project still happening?
Yes. The project mentioned below in my previous post is the latest of many iterations of the same project. Whether Urban Outfitters is still an anchor remains to be seen though.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/44041164-post663.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 PM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Yes. The project mentioned below in my previous post is the latest of many iterations of the same project. Whether Urban Outfitters is still an anchor remains to be seen though.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/44041164-post663.html
Oh this is the project that's breaking ground in 2018? So now it'll encompass the Quality Inn, the dinner and the strip mall?

You posted about it awhile ago.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Oh this is the project that's breaking ground in 2018? So now it'll encompass the Quality Inn, the dinner and the strip mall?

You posted about it awhile ago.
It certainly looks like it will take over the strip mall. BUt I think they are making two new streets where there wasn't any before. Which may be throwing some people off in the photo.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 AM

I know they plan to extend Calvert Road. Interesting. This project is very big. Seems like they've been talking 8 it for years. Do you think of the FBI comes to Greenbelt it will hasten development.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A recent press release on the new hotel being built at the new Ford site. Opening date is set for Summer of 2017. So, not so far after the CVS opens in the beginning of 2017. It will be Choice Hotels' top tier hotel which I think is perfect for College Park. it is not expensive like the Marriott and the new hotel coming up down the street, and it's not a dive or a low tier like Super 8. There will be a wide range of hotels for visitors to the university.

About Cambria Hotels & Suites

Choice Hotels Announces Expansion of Cambria hotels & suites in College Park, MD. -- ROCKVILLE, Md., Oct.*21, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

In case you missed it, cranes are now on RT. 1 and the steel frame for the CVS store is being put into place. I'd look for a Spring 2017 opening of the CVS followed by a Fall 2017 opening of the new hotel.

So, by the 2017-2018 football season, College Park should have plenty of new offerings for fans. This would include the new Hyatt House in Riverdale Park.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:01 AM

Maybe the wine and coffee place isn't opening since the diner burned and they need to deal with that.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 AM

340 posts, read 376,383 times
Quote:
Maybe the wine and coffee place isn't opening since the diner burned and they need to deal with that.
I might be a skeptic, but I think it's odd that a diner that is being sold to be leveled for development is burned down while the owner plans to build a new restaurant across the street. That cafe is in jeopardy of ever being built imo. If it is coincidence, that owner is having a really rough time I'm sure with the investigation which could certainly slow things down, but it was delayed long before the fire regardless. I thought it was suppose to open this fall. Outside of the Hotel and UTC Safeway, everything around here takes far too long to build. Fat Pete's is moving at a snails crawl, Riverdale Park Station is being built at a rate where it's quite possible the whole thing is being done with hand tools, Art House is still all renderings, Pizza Paradiso/Art Works is pushing for a half decade. The only projects that stay on track involve the University directly. As far as the cafe, the good news is that there are at least 3-4 other arts spaces/restaurants that are being built and the development across the street surely means a conversion of the college park auto parts store is inevitable. In fact, that development probably ensures that at the very least updates/upgrades to lots and businesses all around it are inevitable, slowly but surely

Last edited by DoughLow805; 06-05-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
I might be a skeptic, but I think it's odd that a diner that is being sold to be leveled for development is burned down while the owner plans to build a new restaurant across the street. That cafe is in jeopardy of ever being built imo. If it is coincidence, that owner is having a really rough time I'm sure with the investigation which could certainly slow things down, but it was delayed long before the fire regardless. I thought it was suppose to open this fall. Outside of the Hotel and UTC Safeway, everything around here takes far too long to build. Fat Pete's is moving at a snails crawl, Riverdale Park Station is being built at a rate where it's quite possible the whole thing is being done with hand tools, Art House is still all renderings, Pizza Paradiso/Art Works is pushing for a half decade. The only projects that stay on track involve the University directly. As far as the cafe, the good news is that there are at least 3-4 other arts spaces/restaurants that are being built and the development across the street surely means a conversion of the college park auto parts store is inevitable. In fact, that development probably ensures that at the very least updates/upgrades to lots and businesses all around it are inevitable, slowly but surely

Then you and I are both skeptics because I thought it too. There has been no work done to that location. I was really looking forward to having an adult space in college park.

I don't understand why the Quality Inn is being purchased in 2017 but construction won't start until 2018.

I wonder if investors are getting skiddish

Old 06-05-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
The most frustrating thing is to see dirt being moved or a fence put up and then driving by month after month to see nothing happen.

I think there are still some issues with the permitting process. Perhaps there has been so much investment in the county in such a short time with the many projects launching throughout, that even with a revamped permitting process, they are still dealing with a backlog?

The additional buildings in the Riverdale Project were only recently approved. Whether that was by design or due to a backlog, it certainly lends to the perception that things are moving frustratingly slow.

The good news is that there are cranes up at the CVS/Cambria site. The townhomes in the Riverdale project will start construction this summer. So at least there is a constant forward pace, though a rather slow one.

Concerning the cafe, I think the owners were going to shift their attention from Platos to the new cafe anyway. There have been plans for a project at the Quality Inn site for years now and they were planning on moving across the street as a result. This can be evident in their plans to include breakfast at the new cafe; a staple of Platos Diner.

While a fire may have delayed those plans, I think the cafe is still a go. I don't think the fire was intentional. There would be no point if they were planning on leaving the facility anyway. I think it was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Quote:
In fact, that development probably ensures that at the very least updates/upgrades to lots and businesses all around it are inevitable, slowly but surely
I agree. It is part of the College Park master plan. To have along RT. 1 all street level retail in mixed-use blocks turning RT. 1 into a type of BLVD.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:47 PM

340 posts, read 376,383 times
http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...e-college.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland