Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rck Crk View Post
the gangs don't come to DC not because of ANYTHING else other than the FBI is here. That's the truth. There was Philly mafia, Baltimore Mafia, Richmond mafia, even Ocean City mafia- and I mean white guys with hats italian mafia, but they NEVER set foot in DC because the FBI is here.
I could be wrong, but I think it has more to do with that the Mafia (Italian, as well as Russian and Irish mobs) primarily rose out of concentrated working-class immigrant groups than the FBI (remember that there are field offices all over the country, including Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Richmond, New York and Philadelphia). They brought it over from the home country, and were able to flourish in the often-poorer "ethnic ghettos". Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, Baltimore, and Richmond all have a blue-collar industrial base and historically Italian/Irish/German/Russian/etc neighborhoods, which DC didn't have as much. Similar groups are concentrated outside of DC, which could be why there's more traditional gangs in the suburbs (like the Korean gangs in Annandale that you mentioned).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Rock Creek,

Both of your responses were hilarious!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 15,181 times
I currently live in DC, but grew up in PG County, then Waldorf (dagger), and then have eventually worked my way into Northwest DC. Great neighborhood.

What most people seem to not recognize about the District is that half the bodies fall outside of the city, thus skewing statistics. This is how it happens:

- The city is broken up into quadrants NW, SW, SE, and NE. We'll just forget about SW for now because it is mostly the Potomac River. Everything west of this quadrant is rather wealthy. Montgomery County in MD and Fairfax County in VA are two of the wealthiest and most educated counties in America. Recently, we have seen a large influx of young affluent back into DC.

- The increased demand in housing pushes up land prices and makes homes less affordable to the less affluent.

- Since the areas to the north and west are not affordable, you see a migration to the east, namely PG County and to Southern Maryland.

- What you see is increased crime in these areas while there is a decrease in DC.

As far as organized crime goes, Arlington County, VA and some areas of Maryland are hotbeds for MS 13. Since Rayful Edmond went after the crack boom of the 1980's, there hasn't been as much of a highly organized, cohesive gang that is really well known. Most of the time, it is just neighborhoods looking out for one another in a strangely twisted sense of community.

I actually feel like my neighborhood is the safest place I have ever lived. *

* If any of your plan on robbing this area, please don't rob me. I'm broke.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:02 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck crk View Post
the gangs don't come to dc not because of anything else other than the fbi is here. That's the truth.
lol

Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 AM

23 posts, read 166,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigga View Post
I currently live in DC, but grew up in PG County, then Waldorf (dagger), and then have eventually worked my way into Northwest DC. Great neighborhood.

What most people seem to not recognize about the District is that half the bodies fall outside of the city, thus skewing statistics. This is how it happens:

- The city is broken up into quadrants NW, SW, SE, and NE. We'll just forget about SW for now because it is mostly the Potomac River. Everything west of this quadrant is rather wealthy. Montgomery County in MD and Fairfax County in VA are two of the wealthiest and most educated counties in America. Recently, we have seen a large influx of young affluent back into DC.

- The increased demand in housing pushes up land prices and makes homes less affordable to the less affluent.

- Since the areas to the north and west are not affordable, you see a migration to the east, namely PG County and to Southern Maryland.

- What you see is increased crime in these areas while there is a decrease in DC.

As far as organized crime goes, Arlington County, VA and some areas of Maryland are hotbeds for MS 13. Since Rayful Edmond went after the crack boom of the 1980's, there hasn't been as much of a highly organized, cohesive gang that is really well known. Most of the time, it is just neighborhoods looking out for one another in a strangely twisted sense of community.

I feel the same way and oh snap I live in Anacostia ... depending on where I am in NW I actually feel more anxious than in my own neighborhood. Lol I wouldn't say I'm broke buuuttttttt they won't get much cash off of me because I carry 20 at the most.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 15,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigga View Post

Please don't say "forget about" SW, I amongst others(Wayne Perry ring a bell?, seen our FBI Files episode?) was born and raised down there, I have lost more friends than you can count on both hands and feet. Other than that your post is pretty much on point.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Yes, Wayne Perry from SW was notorious and one of the most feared men on the east coast not just in DC. He kept Alpo (NYC Drug Dealer) alive and protected during his stint here in the early 90's.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 AM

208 posts, read 1,217,574 times
When I lived outside of the district it wasnt about gangs, ive been hearing allot of crips and bloods crap over the last couple of years, anyone who was from the dirty district in the 90's would be confused by that crap. DC has ALWAYS been nothing but street crews and open air drug markets, its DC common!

Some examples:

-5th and O street crew
-H street crew
-E street crew
-Congress Park Crew
-Barry Farms crew
-Queen street crew
-Condon terrace crew
-Lincolin Heights crew
-Naylor Road crew
-Barry Farms crew
-Kentucky courts crew
-Alabama avenue crew
-Fern street crew
-7 n L crew
-501 Cappers crew (Arthur Cappers no longer exist)
-Woodland crew
-Mellon mob
-Fairfax village crew
-Levis street crew
-Potomac garden crew
-Lincolin Westmoreland
-Montana avenue crew

Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvnova View Post
Washington, DC, 2005:
Murders per 100,000
City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2)

Auston, TX
Murders per 100,000
3.8 (about 1/10th of DC rate!)
City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2)

I'm sorry it's a really old post but this is a pet peeve I gotta get of my chest. The murder rate in my opinion is not a good indicator of how dangerous an area is. Usually people are not just randomly murdered for fun, usually the victims knows their killer or a stray bullet intended for someone hits a bystander.

If someone just wants to rob someone they don't want to be tied down with having to worry about murder they just want the loot. So my concern would be violent crime or better yet robberies. The other crimes are indeed bad but chances are if you walk down the street of a bad neighborhood alone you're more likely to get mugged than murdered.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,542 times
Good point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'm sorry it's a really old post but this is a pet peeve I gotta get of my chest. The murder rate in my opinion is not a good indicator of how dangerous an area is. Usually people are not just randomly murdered for fun, usually the victims knows their killer or a stray bullet intended for someone hits a bystander.

If someone just wants to rob someone they don't want to be tied down with having to worry about murder they just want the loot. So my concern would be violent crime or better yet robberies. The other crimes are indeed bad but chances are if you walk down the street of a bad neighborhood alone you're more likely to get mugged than murdered.
Overall rates for violent crimes , broken down by type , are needed to tell the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC