Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 01:25 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Decreasing winter temperatures don't make me unhappy at all. I live in the South(outskirts of metro Atlanta), and the winter is a welcome relief from the summer heat. Without winter's actual conditions, how can one do such activities that come with winter? I ask this because Atlanta gets mild winters, so snow is kind of a novelty here. We get it, and then it's gone and that's all you get for the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:37 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
The winter lovers don't like winter for its actual conditions, but for the activities winter brings, such as outdoor activities, ice fishing etc and the decrease in daylight.

How can anyone seriously like cold, snowy and freezing air? Compared with fresh, warm and clean sunny air?

Winter is horrible.

It's not even winter here yet in Winnipeg, Canada but the decreasing temps and daylight is already makin me cringe.
I always go for a walk when it is cold, snowy and freezing. Doesn't bother me at all; in fact I actually find it very refreshing and energizing.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
I always go for a walk when it is cold, snowy and freezing. Doesn't bother me at all; in fact I actually find it very refreshing and energizing.
I've often done the same, and will continue to do so.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I agree, there's no way anyone can truly enjoy freezing, lol.
Thats probably why they invented winter clothing..

I guess i'll buck the trend on this topic by saying i dont mind the cold (within reason), its rather refreshing and invigorating, After spending 15 years working outdoors in the construction industry in Florida i just dont like heat and humidity anymore and prefer a Canadian winter day over a Florida like summer day anytime. At the moment i'm on a two week trip to Florida visiting friends and family, its been 90 degrees every day with high humidity levels, i havent stopped sweating and view the weather as something akin to hell.

Last edited by jambo101; 10-05-2013 at 02:07 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 12:53 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
The winter lovers don't like winter for its actual conditions, but for the activities winter brings, such as outdoor activities, ice fishing etc and the decrease in daylight.

How can anyone seriously like cold, snowy and freezing air? Compared with fresh, warm and clean sunny air?

Winter is horrible.

It's not even winter here yet in Winnipeg, Canada but the decreasing temps and daylight is already makin me cringe.

Sorry dude but I don't associate 99 degrees with "fresh" fresh is 60s or colder.

How can anyone like cold, snowy and freezing air? Well it's beautiful, it's not hot. (Unless you have a crappy parka or are a plain baby, there's no real reason to complain be that uncomfortable) It kills pests and puts things to sleep, it's nature at it's harshest, and that's beautiful. It's dark, mysterious and atmospheric. Can also be the cheeriest thing, around the holidays.

I live in Florida, our family spends good money to spend winters in Tennessee where there's at least a chance of snow. And we don't stay inside all day, we HIKE in the snow, through the woods. If you actually DO something you'll find yourself warming up.

That being said, I do enjoy hot weather in summer, but summer only! Late spring and early fall too, but I hate living in Miami where October stays in the 80s and 90s and it's too green to feel like a real fall.

I wanna live where there's real seasons. Experience nature to the fullest. The birth and death of life.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:56 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Excellent post. They all like sitting around the fire being cozy while watching the snow fall outside. If they had to live/work outside permanently, they would hate it.

Funny, my cousin's father in law works outside and he says he prefers the cold because the sun burns him too much. He doesn't mind being outside in 40 and under temperatures. We live in Florida, and vacation in the Smoky mountains in the winter.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:27 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
How can anyone like cold, snowy and freezing air? Well it's beautiful, it's not hot. (Unless you have a crappy parka or are a plain baby, there's no real reason to complain be that uncomfortable) It kills pests and puts things to sleep, it's nature at it's harshest, and that's beautiful. It's dark, mysterious and atmospheric. Can also be the cheeriest thing, around the holidays.
Well put.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Quote:
Sorry dude but I don't associate 99 degrees with "fresh" fresh is 60s or colder.

How can anyone like cold, snowy and freezing air? Well it's beautiful, it's not hot. (Unless you have a crappy parka or are a plain baby, there's no real reason to complain be that uncomfortable)
And I would say the same thing for heat then. Just accept some people don't like the cold, and prefer warmth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-BadgerFilms View Post
Sorry dude but I don't associate 70 degrees with "warm" warm is 90s or hotter.

How can anyone like hot, humid and torrid air? Well it's beautiful, it's not cold. (Unless you have a crappy lifestyle or are a plain baby, there's no real reason to complain be that uncomfortable)
I'm not a baby because I find 15°C or below cold, I live in room temps colder than that and put up with it, I've driven in thick snow (without winter tires), gone to work in frigid weather (working outdoors) and in cold winds, snow and ice, and hated every second of it. I'm certainly not a wimp. Anyway if that makes me a baby then so be it but no more than somebody whining about working or whatever in heat or hot weather which, for some reason, I can tolerate very well.

As it happens, however; my hatred of winter has not so much to do with just sheer cold (I understand that is to be an expected part of winter) but the awful long hours of darkness and foreboding sense of death in the air as we go through into November and December. It is to me at least an ugly time of year to be endured.

The other thing that irks me is when winter tries to last about half way into the year, like 2013, with its ridiculous frigid March with below zero temperatures on average; howling winds and blizzards. Colder than any winter months since about 2010. Now that was truly an abomination of a month. Warm weather didn't arrive until July that year. *Shudder*.

Last edited by MeteoMan; 10-10-2013 at 01:52 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:

I live in Florida, our family spends good money to spend winters in Tennessee where there's at least a chance of snow. And we don't stay inside all day, we HIKE in the snow, through the woods. If you actually DO something you'll find yourself warming up.

That being said, I do enjoy hot weather in summer, but summer only! Late spring and early fall too, but I hate living in Miami where October stays in the 80s and 90s and it's too green to feel like a real fall.

I wanna live where there's real seasons. Experience nature to the fullest. The birth and death of life.
Sorry, but I take with a grain a salt folks from Florida going on about how they enjoy winter, etc. Winter in TN is nothing to write home about either. Why don't you folks from FL spend the winter in North Dakota or MN? I'm sure you would enjoy all that fresh air and cold.

Funny when you travel down into FL and the Southeast and you keep bumping into all these people from the North that have moved south to escape cold. Not many going in the other direction.

No matter how much you cold lovers spin it, there is no evidence whatsoever of any mad rush by Americans to live in your cold paradise. The vast majority of people in this country want to live in places with mild winters when they retire. Wonder why that is.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:55 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
I find it odd that Yuma is such a popular place for retirees, as the weather half of the year is nearly lethal for an elderly sickish person. What if the AC stops working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather