Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times

Advertisements

No, No, never. It's not worth it just for the privilege of inconveniencing your mate, friends, and loved ones.

Now I would spend a reasonable chunk of change on a nice honeymoon though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
No way is a wedding in NYC just 25 -28K; not even close, especially for a large family.
The article I was looking at was talking about the US Average. Yes, you're right, NYC would be higher.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,719,511 times
Nah, not worth it. All I care about (besides the guy) is that we're happy and have a good time. That doesn't have to cost a lot of money or stress. I'd be more likely to blow it on the honeymoon than anything (I'm a big travel buff), though even that I could be talked out of.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:30 PM

993 posts, read 2,292,491 times
No way! I think if some people would spend as much effort working on their marriage as they do their wedding, there would be less divorces.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I hear of many couples pressured into a big wedding to satisfy their large families but they don't have the money for such a large event. Personally, I think the money spent on a big wedding would be better used as a downpayment on a home ... especially in an expensive place like NYC.

If your parents aren't footing the bill and you're pinching pennies to pay for a big wedding, is it worth it?
hell no! I'd rather spend that on a holiday & down payment on a home.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
I hear of many couples pressured into a big wedding to satisfy their large families but they don't have the money for such a large event. Personally, I think the money spent on a big wedding would be better used as a downpayment on a home ... especially in an expensive place like NYC.

If your parents aren't footing the bill and you're pinching pennies to pay for a big wedding, is it worth it?

Nope, i woodn't.
Use the moolah to buy some forest land. Select cut some of the timber. Take it to a local sawmill. Have them peel some logs. Build yer own LogHome...

'Home is where the Heartwood is'...

Old 06-28-2010, 07:44 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,254,612 times
I've already been on numerous inspections of newly weds home and they spent all they had on the wedding. Meanwhile they got taken on the HVAC and mechanicals of the home and don't have anything left to fix it! Many of those so called home inspector companies don't know their a** from their elbow and are just trying to push it through for the seller. Something to keep in mind newly weds.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
ahhhhhhhh no. i even told my daugher that I wouldn't be offended if she eloped.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
No, I wouldn't want to spend all my savings on a wedding, but I did spend around $20,000 on my daughter's wedding. I could afford it. It was a party for my daughter, future SIL, my wife's and my friends, our relatives and those of my future SIL. I didn't consider it a waste of money, even when the marriage ended. It was a party, for heaven's sake.

Most people still only get married once. It's a day to dream of and a day to remember. If you can afford it, splurge! If finances are tight, hold the spending to a minimum. I've done it both ways. Both were good days and I've had no regrets.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:48 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,878,911 times
Quote:

Oh this is such a hot button issue for me. Big, formal, expensive weddings are such a waste of money. When the relatives all start chiming in that this or that date doesn't work for them; or they don't like where you want to have your reception; or the food; or the music... ugh!!

Elope. $100 and you're done.

Use the rest of the money for a down payment on a house or condo. That's what we did and have never once regretted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings