Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Well, there are "limits" in this house for chores. Dishes are done as they are made, laundry is done on a schedule, meals are prepared for mealtime..etc. Sex...well there are no complaints there. I guess I don't understand your point with the comments.
There are female posters who are setting limits on the minimum their man should spend on their rings to be happy, what is the minimum size of the rock for their ring, etc. And everybody seems to be fine about a woman having those expectations with their man. Imagine if men put limits on women too, wouldn’t that be terrible? Limits on what is the minimum a woman should allow him to have sex per week, limits on what is the minimum wait time for dinner to be ready when he arrives home, limits on how soon she should wash the dishes, limits on what is the maximum she could weight, etc. Women would be fast to ask “Why isn’t he contributing?” Why don’t woman ask the same when they demand a ring to be a certain way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
There are female posters who are setting limits on the minimum their man should spend on their rings to be happy, what is the minimum size of the rock for their ring, etc. And everybody seems to be fine about a woman having those expectations with their man. Imagine if men put limits on women too, wouldn’t that be terrible? Limits on what is the minimum a woman should allow him to have sex per week, limits on what is the minimum wait time for dinner to be ready when he arrives home, limits on how soon she should wash the dishes, limits on what is the maximum she could weight, etc. Women would be fast to ask “Why isn’t he contributing?” Why don’t woman ask the same when they demand a ring to be a certain way?
You think some men don't??? I know plenty of married women who have specific expectations from their husbands, whether it be dinner, sex, appearance, etc.. And most of them don't have pricey rocks on their fingers either.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You think some men don't??? I know plenty of married women who have specific expectations from their husbands, whether it be dinner, sex, appearance, etc.. And most of them don't have pricey rocks on their fingers either.
And how terrible is for those men to set those limits, right? Difference is that women demanding and expecting from men is acceptable. Just imagine a thread where men would go talking about the maximum limit his wife should weight regardless of him being a fat ass, how clean the house should be regardless of him not lifting a finger to help, the minimum amount of sex he should be permitted to have per week regardless of him not being sweet and romantic, etc.

Interesting thing is that those people are not willing to offer all they expect and demand from their spouse.

Women around here demanding a minimum a man could spend on her ring, how big the rock should be, etc. focusing more on that metal to show it around her girlfriends instead of focusing on the marriage itself? And then guys complain about the girl they married.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Man, I'll never understand why such threads run for umpteen pages. You want to buy a $5 ring - buy a $5 ring! You don't want to buy a ring - don't buy a ring! What do I care?!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Interesting thing is that those people are not willing to offer all they expect and demand from their spouse.
You keep comparing a one time engagement ring purchase to men's expectations on how much a woman should cook, clean, have sex, etc. and it's not a good analogy at all.

All of this is a moot point to me anyway though. I KNOW I'll get the ring I want because I can afford it and I'm not going to wear something I don't like for the duration of my engagement/marriage. The end.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
And how terrible is for those men to set those limits, right? Difference is that women demanding and expecting from men is acceptable. Just imagine a thread where men would go talking about the maximum limit his wife should weight regardless of him being a fat ass, how clean the house should be regardless of him not lifting a finger to help, the minimum amount of sex he should be permitted to have per week regardless of him not being sweet and romantic, etc.

Women around here demanding a minimum a man could spend on her ring, how big the rock should be, etc. focusing more on that metal to show it around her girlfriends instead of focusing on the marriage itself? And then guys complain about the girl they married.
Huh? We must be reading different posts because I don't see any women here making demands of their men. Those are your interpretations because you're angry at the tradition and dare I say women? Just make sure you and your SO are on the same page when it comes to each others expectations.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
You keep comparing a one time engagement ring purchase to men's expectations on how much a woman should cook, clean, have sex, etc. and it's not a good analogy at all.
It’s the whole premise of expecting from your partner but not willing to offer what you expect. It’s the whole “me me me me” mentality. Of course the analogy is not good if it doesn’t support your argument.

Quote:
All of this is a moot point to me anyway though. I KNOW I'll get the ring I want because I can afford it and I'm not going to wear something I don't like for the duration of my engagement/marriage. The end.
Will you get it with your very own money or are you going to make your man buy it for you?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:

I used to work with someone like that. Her husband would actually tell her to go back and pick out something different to wear if he didn't like what she had on--and usually it was to put on something more revealing, not less. If he didn't like the way the salon did her weave, he would send her back to get it done over. He also watched whenever she weighed herself, and even though she worked full-time, he expected her to cook dinner every night, keep the house clean with no help from him, etc. She told us that there were nights when she wasn't hungry, or just wanted a salad, but would still have to cook something for him.

Sounded like hell on earth, to me.

Last edited by Yzette; 05-02-2012 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: stupid split infinitive

Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Huh? We must be reading different posts because I don't see any women here making demands of their men. Those are your interpretations because you're angry at the tradition and dare I say women? Just make sure you and your SO are on the same page when it comes to each others expectations.
Then you must be skipping pages. Go back and read. Angry? Nope, I don't go for american girls who make those demands. Don't confuse being angry with disagreeing. In that case there are many angry women around here too. It's just a debate, chill .

Anyways, men demanding and expecting from women is hell but a woman coming out with the demands we have seen in this thread and others, acceptable, right?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Then you must be skipping pages. Go back and read. Angry? Nope, I don't go for american girls who make those demands. Don't confuse being angry with disagreeing. In that case there are many angry women around here too. It's just a debate, chill .

Anyways, men demanding and expecting from women is hell but a woman coming out with the demands we have seen in this thread and others, acceptable, right?
Chill? There's no anger on my part. I've already got my ring.

I think this thread jumped the shark a long time ago. I'm getting dizzy from onihC spinning the playground merry go round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings