Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 12:46 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,288,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i think spending like 50 bucks on an engagement ring is really disrespectful, especially if it wasn't discussed beforehand and the dude isn't totally broke
Lots of women are not broke and still they won’t spend at least $50 on a man. Would you also find that disrespectful or is that different?

Quote:
on the other hand, i don't see the point in paying more than 2 or 3 thousand. i've seen tons of really pretty rings in the $1500 range
Sure. There are a few women out there (so far only one or two in this thread) who find rings a total waste of money. Some value the meaning of it and others value their marriage, not the ring.

Quote:
i dont think the dude should be the one shelling out for everything in a relationship, either
How long in the relationship would you consider offering to chip in at least with half of the tip or something?

Quote:
i wouldn't mind buying him something expensive he really wanted or paying for a trip somewhere in exchange.
That sounds nice. Doesn’t necessarily have to be in “exchange” but something you want to do out of your heart regardless of not being common for a woman to spend those amounts of money on a man she’s not married to, living with, or sharing a bank account with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,414,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Let’s see. All a prostitute offers is company and sex and she gets money, drugs, a roof over her head, food, a vacation, etc. from the man who’s with her.
Minus the drugs, apparently there are a lot of well off prostitutes out there!!!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Minus the drugs, apparently there are a lot of well off prostitutes out there!!!!!
I know, huh?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM

67 posts, read 113,007 times
Every situation is different. The guy is the one who should pick it out and surprise his girl. If a girl is suggesting size, quality and price range before a proposal, I would run. LOL

Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,969,546 times
My friend's girlfriend wants a $20,000 ring. He only makes $45,000 a year. Has anybody heard of a ring like this before?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,200,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
My friend's girlfriend wants a $20,000 ring. He only makes $45,000 a year. Has anybody heard of a ring like this before?
I'd be terrified of wearing a $20,000 ring!!! I'd probably wear gloves all the time so I wouldn't lose it and so that no one would try to cut my finger off to steal it!

I've seen some huge rocks before - working and living on the Upper East Side you get used to seeing them - but I have no idea how much they cost. I don't live that kind of lifestyle.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,171,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Lots of women are not broke and still they won’t spend at least $50 on a man. Would you also find that disrespectful or is that different?

Sure. There are a few women out there (so far only one or two in this thread) who find rings a total waste of money. Some value the meaning of it and others value their marriage, not the ring.

How long in the relationship would you consider offering to chip in at least with half of the tip or something?

That sounds nice. Doesn’t necessarily have to be in “exchange” but something you want to do out of your heart regardless of not being common for a woman to spend those amounts of money on a man she’s not married to, living with, or sharing a bank account with.
i have always paid for most things in my relationship now because i make significantly more money than my boyfriend does. i'm not loaded but he just has a history of low-paying jobs. there is a difference in gender roles and expectations set out by our society and its hard to avoid. if i say i pay for most things for my boyfriend it makes him sound like a loser but if he said he paid for most things for me it would be seen as totally normal and acceptable. i think that is a point you try to make frequently and you are right. its not fair but it is the way it is

Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
if i say i pay for most things for my boyfriend it makes him sound like a loser but if he said he paid for most things for me it would be seen as totally normal and acceptable. i think that is a point you try to make frequently and you are right. its not fair but it is the way it is
Yes. Something doesn’t seem right but that’s just the way it is especially in western culture. But hey, a couple does however they like.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:59 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,897,481 times
First off. 3x's and up is a guideline for you to follow on the ring.
Second off. A woman who would be happy with anything, even cubic zirconia, get real. I'm a sweetheart (trust me) but if someone came and gave me a c.z. ring or a ring where I had to get a magnifier to see the diamond chip -NO WAY!
Third. I think demanding a ring of $10k or more is tackly. You should take into account the woman, the design of the ring, and the carats that fall within that 3x's your monthly salary and up. Her demanding a $10k ring, you need to consider the motivation behind her desires. Is it you or what you can give her?

Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,859,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Three months salary is a guide. What else are you going to pay exorbitantly for? How else will married monies be spent? Sorry, it is not reasonable. I paid 3.5 K in 1998, money I did not have. I regretted it as it was a preview to the future. Many persons in the past had used smaller, less expensive rings, and as prosperity was gained, added to the same.

And here I thought we were in a recession/depression...
I actually would have been mad if he'd have spent that much! I'd rather have a nice, modest ring and a nicer honeymoon, which is exactly what we did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings