Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:33 AM

796 posts, read 1,844,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I agree a big diamond doesn't mean the marriage will last any longer. I remember girls almost breaking their wrist so you would notice their ring.

My story.. my 1st engagement ring from DLH was cubic zirconia from a grocery store give away. Buy so much and get X for a reduced price. We didn't have a lot of money and there is no way he could afford the 'real' thing. Didn't matter to me.. it was the thought that counted. Of course, we were a little more realistic since we had both been married before and not in our 20s.

That ring meant so much to me, not for what it cost, but for what it stood for.

On our 15th wedding anniversary, he gave me a beautiful 1 ct diamond solitaire 'I couldn't do it right the first time, but I wanted to make it right now' He joked about the light being on because the diamond sparkled when in the light.

He died 2 months later. Of course, I love that ring, but I would much rather have him with me than that ring.

And yes, the light still works!!
What a beautiful, heartbreaking story...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I have thought about this, as I usually think about all things that people just except at face value, and I can't help but think...what's in it for the guy?

I mean, a man spends thousand, upon THOUSANDS of dollars for a women to have some ugly, glass-like rock picked out of the dirt by some poor enslaved kid in a war-torn part of Africa, and what the heck does he get in return?

A "I DOOOO!" and a hug! I mean, why can't she buy him something in return?

IF I ever get married, after I give her a opal, obsidian or thulite ring, set in (hopefully) reycled titanium, and she accepts, I will respestfully give her some time to let it sing in and than let it be known that I will expect an authentic antique functional sword at some point before the wedding. Nothing particular...but a katana would be sweet

Hey, fair is fair, if I'm shelling out the money to show my love for her, than why shouldn't she shell out the money to show her love for me?

And if I didn't get a sword, than there would be no wedding and I'll take the ring back, thank you very much. Fair is fair.

I'm sorry if you haven't been informed, but men spend way more $ on one marriage (including engagement, married life, divorce, and alimony) than if they stayed single and just dated or had serial girlfriends.

So if you are a man who makes a lot of $, loves freedom, loves variety, and hates pain and loss, stay single.

For all others, go for it.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:10 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I have thought about this, as I usually think about all things that people just except at face value, and I can't help but think...what's in it for the guy?

I mean, a man spends thousand, upon THOUSANDS of dollars for a women to have some ugly, glass-like rock picked out of the dirt by some poor enslaved kid in a war-torn part of Africa, and what the heck does he get in return?

A "I DOOOO!" and a hug! I mean, why can't she buy him something in return?

IF I ever get married, after I give her a opal, obsidian or thulite ring, set in (hopefully) reycled titanium, and she accepts, I will respestfully give her some time to let it sing in and than let it be known that I will expect an authentic antique functional sword at some point before the wedding. Nothing particular...but a katana would be sweet

Hey, fair is fair, if I'm shelling out the money to show my love for her, than why shouldn't she shell out the money to show her love for me?

And if I didn't get a sword, than there would be no wedding and I'll take the ring back, thank you very much. Fair is fair.

Yet another thread from a disgruntled, anti-social emo trying to justify how superficial women are...is there anything else you can think of other than share with us how much you hate women?

Anyway, when I get engaged, it wouldn't be a Blood Diamond, it would be something priceless (because, love is suppose to anyway) like a pretty-looking ring that is inexpensive

and my token of my love is.....ME!! And all my goodies!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Default 3 month (worth of wages) engagement ring?

I read an article that reminded me that this is supposed to be traditional.

Now that I'm an adult,
I look at that and think that if that's the expectation, it devalues the man.

Having to buy their way in, to the in-law's family?
Isn't having a life with a house, cars, kids and perhaps a dog expensive enough?

I think it's a lot to expect of a guy,
if his presence in the family is just going to be "pleasantly-tolerated" over many, many years
as what also seems typical in many families.

What makes me think of this is I wanted to find a parallel,
when the husbands/fathers are shown equal appreciation in a traditional sense
and I can't think of any, other than a few Father's Day presents.

Add to that all the other gifts that are traditionally given to wives at different anniversaries and occasions.

I suppose my view could be a bit skewed,
because nowadays it's very easy for a women to get a job to buy these herself.
As a man, I wouldn't expect anything to be bought for me by the wife or in-laws, except for birthday and Christmas presents.

Thoughts?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
The ring debate is disgusting. It shows the true colors of some when they say the amount or size of a ring determines the value of their marriage.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,032,210 times
I dated a chick back in late 2009/early 2010 who told me that she would turn down a marriage proposal if the ring wasn't up to her standards. She was serious. She then became my ex-girlfriend.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
The "two months salary" engagement ring isn't so much a tradition as a marketing campaign by the diamond companies. Traditionally the engagement ring (which wasn't necessarily a diamond) was a token to prove to the fiance and her family that the man could provide for her, and also a way for him to mark his territory, so to speak.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Go to a pawn shop and spend half on a engagement ring. Once you buy a engagement ring from a retailer store it is depreciated by 80% anyway.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Are you asking about engagement/wedding ring expenses, or commenting about a perception that men spend more on women in general than vice versa? Both of these topics have been debated at length, so I can merge your thread into one of those threads, but I need to know which one.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
Do what you feel is appropriate, or discuss it with her. IMO, it's an outmoded tradition or expectation, and can easily be modified by intelligent adults to match their own needs and priorities. We wanted rings, but not the traditional engagement ring/wedding band, so we designed our own all-in-one rings. Also, she does not like diamonds, so we used something we liked instead. Total cost was less than a month's salary for something totally unique and meaningful to us.

The big diamond rock seems too much like a "buying the cow" mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings