Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Keep it, and next time, just give respect instead. You might eventually be able to change your status from single that way.

I don't appreciate having someone wink at my "moxie" after being a jack*ss to me. What I stated to the poster about her more or less forcing her guests to give her money stands. You didn't address that point, as far as I can see. Instead, you attacked my grammar. Not good. That's just a tiny piece of advice when dealing with women...when dealing with anyone, actually.

I admonished based on etiquette. You attacked for fun. Not cute, in any regard, and pretty much never applicable (as long as we're, hopefully, still on the subject of diplomacy).
Rage much,.......luvin it.

I am very happy being single thanks, you make me rethink that however
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
You didn't address that point, as far as I can see. Instead, you attacked my grammar. Not good. That's just a tiny piece of advice when dealing with women...when dealing with anyone, actually.
Um, technically you did first punkin, but I will honorably over look that.

End of thread jack, sorry peeps.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,668 times
Quote:
Exactly, which is why there are gift registries...which the above poster commented she deliberately left choices off of in order to get money instead.
What's the fundamental difference, though, between suggesting an object on a registry vs. suggesting cash, should the guest feel inclined to give something? Why is one rude & one not? It seems like inconsistent standards to me.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
What's the fundamental difference, though, between suggesting an object on a registry vs. suggesting cash, should the guest feel inclined to give something?

What's the fundamental difference between seeing your kids' eyes on Christmas morning as they open each package -- some stuff they asked for; some surprises -- and just handing them money the week before Christmas and saying, "Here, I don't want you to dislike everything Mommy and I give you and be forced to return it, so you just go buy stuff you feel you need"?

Quote:
Why is one rude & one not? It seems like inconsistent standards to me
Hopefully my example answered that question.

A different example, since generally kids really can't finance their own "big days": You are planning to throw a big party for your wife's 40th birthday party. A month before the big day, she says, "Look, if you and a bunch of my friends are planning on getting me presents for this birthday, can you forget that and just have everyone write me a check instead? You included? Thanks, you're a pal. I'm glad you're mature and forward-thinking enough to realize that you will NEVER know what's best for me, so you should just give me cash and let me get my own gifts."

Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,121,890 times
Quote:
What's the fundamental difference, though, between suggesting an object on a registry vs. suggesting cash, should the guest feel inclined to give something? Why is one rude & one not? It seems like inconsistent standards to me.
hmm this isn't that big a deal where I am... maybe because a lot of people live away from home, and already set up their own home before marriage... they don't really need a cutlery set or a toaster....

I've been to a few weddings where cash has been preferred, didn't think anything bad of the people getting married..

What is more rude, is not giving anything at all (and yes, I've seen this happen!)

Old 06-29-2011, 10:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
I guess I don't see what the big deal is either... My mom paid for my wedding - I didn't pay for it myself. My husband and I registered for lots of stuff - some things we wanted, some things we needed. Not everyone that we invited got us a present/money but most did. It was hard for me to come up with our guest list because I didn't want people to think I was inviting them just for a gift but I also didn't want people to be upset that I didn't invite them. We also had a destination wedding - so I think I really struggled with it because there were some people that I knew probably wouldn't be able to come - but I knew that they still wanted to be invited. I just struggled with the same thing with my baby shower guest list. But the thing is - whenever I'm invited to someone's wedding (or shower or whatever) - I'm always happy to get them a gift. Having a registry definitely makes it easier - and I usually try to pick something fun off of it. However, if they don't have a registry, I'll usually buy them something myself or give them cash.
Some of my friends have paid for their own weddings but some of the weddings have been paid for by the parents. Some of the weddings have been really fancy and some of them have only cost about $5,000. Regardless of what type of a wedding it is - I base how much I spend/give on how close I am with the person. If I'm really close with the person, I'm going to spend well over $100 - if I'm not that close - maybe closer to $50 or $60. Just depends. Since most people give gifts for weddings/showers/etc. - I don't think there is anything wrong with not registering if you prefer cash. I do think it's tacky to ask for cash but I don't think there is anything wrong with having word of mouth spread the fact that you are maybe trying to save for a house or something.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 PM

Maybe your wedding should be about the marriage, not what you think you should get/deserve from others that love you, and are happy for you and bothered with their busy life to be a part of.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Maybe your wedding should be about the marriage, not what you think you should get/deserve from others that love you, and are happy for you and bothered with their busy life to be a part of.
My wedding was about my marriage! I was astounded by how generous my friends and relatives were and certainly didn't expect it. When I think about my wedding - I think about how it was the best day of my life! Our closest friends and family members were there - it was a really casual wedding - and we all had a wonderful time! Most people said it was the best wedding that had ever been to - and that meant more to me than any of the gifts!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My wedding was about my marriage! I was astounded by how generous my friends and relatives were and certainly didn't expect it. When I think about my wedding - I think about how it was the best day of my life! Our closest friends and family members were there - it was a really casual wedding - and we all had a wonderful time! Most people said it was the best wedding that had ever been to - and that meant more to me than any of the gifts!
Right on...thats what matters most, congratulations

Old 06-29-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Right on...thats what matters most, congratulations
Thanks! It was 6 years ago but it was truly a wonderful, wonderful day! Our first dance was so funny that the DJ nearly fell out of his chair! I wouldn't have had it any other way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings