Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 PM

552 posts, read 738,327 times

Advertisements

One thing people do not understand is wv is quite diverse it just depends where you live. The highest concentrations of african americans is in the so called racist part of the state. Beckley has a large african american population along with surrounding areas due to families that moved here for coal mining jobs. Charleston, huntington, morgantown, and martinsburg also have diverse population. The areas that have a lower african american are the northern and most rural areas. I believe places like wheeling, weirton, parkersburg, and the potomac highlands area. West Virginia has a rich african american history such is the case with my area with john browns raid near harpers ferry partially sparking the civil war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
One thing people do not understand is wv is quite diverse it just depends where you live. The highest concentrations of african americans is in the so called racist part of the state. Beckley has a large african american population along with surrounding areas due to families that moved here for coal mining jobs. Charleston, huntington, morgantown, and martinsburg also have diverse population. The areas that have a lower african american are the northern and most rural areas. I believe places like wheeling, weirton, parkersburg, and the potomac highlands area. West Virginia has a rich african american history such is the case with my area with john browns raid near harpers ferry partially sparking the civil war.
First of all, I don't believe any part of West Virginia is inherently racist in character. Secondly, my own experience is what racism as does exist is as prevailent among blacks as it is among whites.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:11 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
I see one distinct factor that seems to cause the diversity in those of a darker skin color...

That being the level of education.

The erudite and well mannered are called Sir or Maam....

the others, with lesser role models are called something else.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,240 times
hi,
I am a black female that lives in WV. yes there are few of us living in this state. like other states our men would have counted towards the percentage but they have been incarcerated or killed. We are not accepted as many wanted you to think, but among the percentage many of the the blacks that live here are well educated. meaning they have a HS or College degree. even though we are a group of educated people, we still cant find work here. well other than your domestics. well i hoped i could give you some insight on how i live in WV.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 AM

93,216 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible me View Post
hi,
I am a black female that lives in WV. yes there are few of us living in this state. like other states our men would have counted towards the percentage but they have been incarcerated or killed. We are not accepted as many wanted you to think, but among the percentage many of the the blacks that live here are well educated. meaning they have a HS or College degree. even though we are a group of educated people, we still cant find work here. well other than your domestics. well i hoped i could give you some insight on how i live in WV.
Stop. Ironically, WV may be the state with the lowest percentage of Black people that has a middle class, predominately Black community(Institute next to WV State in the Charleston metro): Institute, WV

Census Block Group 010400-2 in Kanawha County, West Virginia

WV historically was around 5-6% Black(about 3-4% now) and many towns had higher percentages of Black residents in the past than they do now due to coal. There is an interesting history in regards to Black people in WV, but it flys under the radar.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 AM

48 posts, read 99,314 times
It could be just my experience, but my experience with so called "black" folk (I don't agree with black and white labels) in West Virginia was that they had less of a chip on their shoulder than I have experienced in other places. Met a few in Morgantown, Bellington, and Summersville Lake area. I'm not sure exactly why but I was pondering whether it may be because of the more egalitarian attitude that CTM related to West Virginia, and/or perhaps there's also less pandering done than in the northeast states in terms of the "oh you have it so bad" attitude of Moderator cut: political remarks removed . But that sort of vibe is still in the mass-media which brainwashes people so again, Idk.

disclaimer: I am not conservative or right-wing.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-14-2014 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: removed political remarks. Not appropriate for the WV forum.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:43 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,705 times
They are accepted well here in the Eastern Panhandle.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 AM

I can only say I have not seen a single race related problem here in Morgantown, and it has been a very long time since I saw any in Wheeling (where I used to live). That said, there are racists anywhere and they are to be found among people of all races. In my opinion, racism is just as common among minorities as it is among Caucasians, and in general it is declining in this country and this state. There are, however, those who seek to perpetuate a divide because they feel a need to do so in order to maintain a constituency. In my view, that is a sad state of affairs, but it is what it is.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:41 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,853 times
There have been studies that prove that West Virginia is the country's most racist state.

John K. Wilson: West Virginia: Country's Most Racist Voters

Quote:
So why is West Virginia more racist than the former Confederate states? One reason might be lack of contact with blacks.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
There have been studies that prove that West Virginia is the country's most racist state.

John K. Wilson: West Virginia: Country's Most Racist Voters
Well, I can only speak from personal experience. I saw a whole lot more racism in New York than I have seen in West Virginia. It just exists more under the radar there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia