Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I visited and stayed overnight in Lewisburg. Sad to say but it was by far the most disappointing place I've ever visited in the US. Too squeaky clean and touristy, half a day would have been sufficient to look round all the sights (and what there is are well worth going to see).
There were some beautiful sights around Lewisburg itself - I've posted some in the picture forum - but my lasting memory will be of having to spend a Sunday evening there and the only place open was the Irish Pub where I had to suffer the inanities of the most bigoted man I've ever met.

I'd certainly love to re-visit WV sometime in the future, Lewisburg hasn't put me off the state as a whole.
Hate that you did not have a good visit, glad you are going to come back to WV. Give us a shout and we will tell you our fav places to go.

Lewisburg is a nice little town with some good restaurants, etc. but not a lot to do as far as sightseeing. However, I can usually spend several hours at The Greenbrier. You did not mention The Greenbrier - did you go there?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:51 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Lewisburg is a nice little town with some good restaurants, etc. but not a lot to do as far as sightseeing. However, I can usually spend several hours at The Greenbrier. You did not mention The Greenbrier - did you go there?
I stopped off at White Sulphur Springs from the Chicago - NY train and went on to Lewisburg from there. Thought WSS was a very nice little place, also very friendly - it was a Sunday afternoon when I got there and I hadn't realised that there's no taxis from WSS on Sundays (Monday to Friday only?). I stopped off at a gas station looking for a public phone, mentioned to the cashier my problem and she very kindly phoned a retired guy who came and picked me up and took me through to Lewisburg.
The photo below is of his car - I felt like an American sat in the front seat!
p.s. Too concerned with trying to get to Lewisburg to think about going to The Greenbrier - maybe another time. Oh and I missed out on getting a photo of the house made out of coal in WSS although I did pass by it the next day!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
At least you got to ride in a classic car.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:12 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
At least you got to ride in a classic car.
What sort of car is it? It's what we in the UK would think of as a typical American car.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:27 PM

Typical American car at one time but not in the last what - 20 years or so.

Don't know my cars - maybe a New Yorker? Ford Crown Victoria?

Last edited by vec101; 11-25-2008 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 PM

I think it is close to antique status. It looks to me like a well preserved
Ford LTD of 70s vintage.

It is rare to find a car even close to that large these days. Just about every model has been seriously scaled back in size. The Rolls Royce isn't as large as it used to be either, is it?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aca1 View Post
It always amazes me how everyone, puts so much emphasis on crime. If you live in a town 0f 2000 people there will still be crime and there will still be drugs, people in the country use just as much meth as people in the city. There is no magic place where you will be safe from crime.
I
m not from WV but I just got back from taking a postal exam and traveling around the entire state (except for wheeling and weirton) and would like to my opinion. WV has nice scenery and I personally am planning on moving there, but as far as the towns go, they should only be compared to other wv cities because they are almost all full of rotting buildings and empty streets, and you won't find many states with their largest city at only around 50,000
people in the city proper. I found good things about every city, except for Clarksburg, which was undescribley grimy and devoid of shopping, the guy at the gas station said i would have to go to bridgeport just to go to Wal-mart.

Noone's metioned it but I thought if one had money to spend Harper's Ferry was a beautiful small town.
I apologize for my longtypedness.
While I agree Cincy is a pretty clean city for its size, I'm surprised to read of someone from Ohio saying our towns are grimy with empty buildings. There are several towns in WV in much better shape than Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, and even most of Toledo. They are probably doing just as well economically now too. Drive back and take another look.

You are correct that there are no big towns in the state. However, there are towns in relative proximity to big cities... The Northern Panhandle and Northcentral WV - Pittsburgh, and the Eastern Panhandle - Washington, DC.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:25 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Adding the many other arts and entertainment opportunities available in Morgantown (more and better than any place else in my opinion, but even if I were wrong) are mere icing in the cake.
CT, I'm proud of you. You actually stated that it was you OPINION and that you could be mistaken about this subject. I still disagree with the above statement with my opinion but it made me proud to see how you presented it. Good post about the cities in Ohio too. Points to you!

Old 11-27-2008, 03:38 PM

22 posts, read 63,162 times
Default Bst small town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
For small towns or county for that matter is Tucker.
Black Water Falls
Pure God's Country.
Make that pure "West By God's Country"

I was born and raised in Berkeley. Great at one time, but would not refer it now.
I want to know where the best place in the southeastern part of WV to live. I want to relocate from NC and I have just retired from the military. I don't mind remote area, in fact, I rather be in a rural area. Can anyone help me with some ideas?

Old 11-27-2008, 04:48 PM

Greenbrier River Valley is gorgeous. I'd look somewhere around Lewisburg, Alderson, Hinton. May also want to look into the Princeton area but the others are my first pick.

Beckley is also nice but not sure if it is as SE as you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia