Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:40 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,057,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country4life View Post
What I've said are NOT generalizations. I'm not going into any more detail. What I've said is in no way a generlization. It's the norm. It's more than obvious you are not from WV, and you're the one making generalizations. You don't realize how much family and extended family someone from WV can have. You don't realize how many different towns in WV those family members can live in. It's obvious you don't get it. You don't realize when someone from WV has a lot of family, those family members have a lot of friends, and those friends have friends. Everyone is connected, and it's obvious you don't really get that either. You don't have an understanding. And I really shouldn't be here giving away so much info about my home state anyway.
I wonder, have you thought about asking your physician about the possibility of upping the medication? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 12:59 PM

39 posts, read 125,590 times
Yall people need to head down to these back roads,reckon? Us hillbillies dont except them blacks and minorties. Dont come down our way

Old 01-24-2009, 04:15 PM

215 posts, read 1,164,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugyboy420 View Post
Yall people need to head down to these back roads,reckon? Us hillbillies dont except them blacks and minorties. Dont come down our way
LOL.

Spoken like a real actor who memorized the script from Wrong Turn

Old 01-24-2009, 07:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,226,109 times
No matter how much ignorance is depicted on this one thread...I get so much joy in the thought of creating my new life down there in our "getaway" location! There is not one person who can speak for an entire state! There's good and bad everywhere...no matter what state, city, or town! The good find the good and the bad seem to hook up with the bad! Karma baby! I am a native VTer who has a multitude of friends who were born and raised in my state as well as transplanted from other areas. We all only live once and if someone wants to plant their feet somewhere else...so be it! "Country road ..take me home.....to the place....I belong....West Virginia....Mountain Mama...take me home....Country road

Old 01-24-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyVT View Post
No matter how much ignorance is depicted on this one thread...I get so much joy in the thought of creating my new life down there in our "getaway" location! There is not one person who can speak for an entire state! There's good and bad everywhere...no matter what state, city, or town! The good find the good and the bad seem to hook up with the bad! Karma baby! I am a native VTer who has a multitude of friends who were born and raised in my state as well as transplanted from other areas. We all only live once and if someone wants to plant their feet somewhere else...so be it! "Country road ..take me home.....to the place....I belong....West Virginia....Mountain Mama...take me home....Country road
http://bestsmileys.com/friendly/4.gif (broken link)
Amen to that MistyVT!!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:11 PM

61 posts, read 202,075 times
Default What is Backlog talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlog View Post
every one that has answerd you live in and around a larger city. not huge by any means but a city just the same. As for the country side you will be looked upon with disgust,country folk in wv will not associate with you nor will they assist you with directions or other wise. what goes on in the city stays in the city. clamping down on things that cause our children to ask why. Nothing against you personally and I would help if asked. I is just some friendly advise to you.I and we are looking at west virgina as a new place to settle. Have been there several times on visits and have some good friends living their dream. But there dream is simple. Small farm red neck style. We hunt,deer,bear-fish live off the land. They were born there and moved away but returnd to raise there kids straight. That is the thinking of many folks who live and work in wv. We live in Tampa Fl and hate it here.Have been in fl since it snowed in "77" born on a farm up north. Yes diversifacation is inevitable. But also is avoidable. Morgantown is a college town,Martinsburg is surronded by diversity and is feeling the crunch. but with this in mind all above mentioned citys have seen a dramatic increase in drug related crimes. Good luck. Keep children in control and busy with family values.

I lived in WV for 18+ years. Backlog has NO idea what he/she is talking about. People are very nice in WV and don't ignore people for being outsiders. When you drive down the country roads, people are more likely to wave at you than to ignore you. You can go in a store and people will talk to you. Any store will give you directions if they know the directions themselves and if they don't, most of the time they will ask another person at the register for help. WV is a simple state and the people don't ask for alot. They do appreciate being respected though and they will treat you the same as you treat them or better.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatkin5 View Post
I lived in WV for 18+ years. Backlog has NO idea what he/she is talking about. People are very nice in WV and don't ignore people for being outsiders. When you drive down the country roads, people are more likely to wave at you than to ignore you. You can go in a store and people will talk to you. Any store will give you directions if they know the directions themselves and if they don't, most of the time they will ask another person at the register for help. WV is a simple state and the people don't ask for alot. They do appreciate being respected though and they will treat you the same as you treat them or better.
That's my experience with WV folk too, they are so nice and friendly and the whole "outsider" thing has never been a part of my experience.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 AM

77 posts, read 191,422 times
To all the people who say West Virginians are not welcoming to newcomers: You are wrong. Back in the 80's, when I was a kid my family moved from NY to Calhoun County WV, and my parents, despite thier heavy NY accents, made good friends immediately. They fit right in and loved living in WV. We only lived there for about 4 years when my dad's job called him back to work in NY, but now, 20 years later, they still keep in touch with some of thier old friends, and want to move back thier after retirement. And Calhoun County is one of the most rural, conservative counties IN THE U.S., let alone the state.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:04 AM

27 posts, read 107,153 times
Lovin' West Virginia!, it is a unspoken feeling that lives deep in my soul and tied up with the thread of life, (for me). When I hear our song, Country Roads, Take Me Home, it stirs up the need for me to return home. I hope to move back very soon.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:18 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,379,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrose View Post
Lovin' West Virginia!, it is a unspoken feeling that lives deep in my soul and tied up with the thread of life, (for me). When I hear our song, Country Roads, Take Me Home, it stirs up the need for me to return home. I hope to move back very soon.
Come on back.

When WVU wins a game do you burn a couch? It is your responsibility to show those people in Montana how to really celebrate a victory, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia