Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,513 times

Advertisements

I left Wisconsin due to the fact that the weather was very wicked in the winter and summer and it drove me crazy to have to be stuck indoors. The other reason I left was because my husband is from the west coast and we wanted to live out here. I still have family that lives in Appleton so I go back for visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM

14,325 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Wicked winter, I get, we're having a beaut this year but wicked for summer, too????

Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Wicked winter, I get, we're having a beaut this year but wicked for summer, too????

I can actually understand that because I don't tolerate heat well, and cannot tolerate humidity at all. I am pretty much house bound much of the time due to the heat, humidity, poor air quality, high mold spore count, etc. Which is another reason why we are leaving sometime this year.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Wow, I can relate to that as I've had sinus/bronchial issues for years. I'm not a heat person, nor do I tolerate humidty very well but it is cooler here by the lake, we barely saw high 80's and never a 90 last summer.

In Waukegan, I was in to the doctor 3 times a year, without fail. I have not had a cold, or sinus issue since I moved. We had what we called Abbott air from the factory by the lake, smelled awful, hard to describe, sometimes almost sickening sweet. You would not have liked it, I hated it!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 AM

You're lucky to be by the lake, and no doubt it would have made life a lot easier for me if we had done the same. There are days here in Appleton when the air quality is so bad, you can't see the top of the CopperLeaf hotel. I've never counted but I think it's only 12 or 13 floors.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
You're lucky to be by the lake, and no doubt it would have made life a lot easier for me if we had done the same. There are days here in Appleton when the air quality is so bad, you can't see the top of the CopperLeaf hotel. I've never counted but I think it's only 12 or 13 floors.
This is the biggest load of bull**** I have ever read. The CopperLeaf Hotel is all of five storeys tall, there's no way it could be shrouded in a haze of smog. You're completely full of ****. The former AAL building (now the 222 building) and the Zuelke building are the only buildings in downtown Appleton that stand over ten storeys tall. I lived in Menasha for most of my life and never witnessed this phenomenon you speak of, not even on the foggiest days. Let's not start making **** up.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 AM

Easy, easy! Maybe we should not have brought that subject up! I have seen bad air quality on my trips up to the UP going through Green Bay to where I would not want the outside air coming in my car. The local TV stations talk about it, too and state air quality alert days during the summer.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
This is the biggest load of bull**** I have ever read. The CopperLeaf Hotel is all of five storeys tall, there's no way it could be shrouded in a haze of smog. You're completely full of ****. The former AAL building (now the 222 building) and the Zuelke building are the only buildings in downtown Appleton that stand over ten storeys tall. I lived in Menasha for most of my life and never witnessed this phenomenon you speak of, not even on the foggiest days. Let's not start making **** up.
Wow, someone has issues. Hopefully you can get some help with that.

In the meantime, I suggest that during the coming Summer you travel the length of College Ave on "air quality alert" day.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
who are the people that are leaving wisconsin, and why are you leaving it? where are you going? in what ways do you expect your lives to improve, or not, by the move?

what are the best/worst things about wisconsin IYO?

thanks!
I have not read a post in this thread yet. I thought I would respond, open mindedly w/o being influenced by others..

Preface this w/the fact that I lost my job Feb 16th 2007 and within two months I was packing up the truck and moving out of state for work.

Who are we? Me my wife and my Son.

Why are we leaving WI? Lost my J-O-B (HQ is in Brookfield) After 18 years of employment there, they brought in Off Shore Programmers. My WI job is being filled by some one in India! Thanks Fiserv! Great Going. I'll bet you suppored Obama too.

Where too? Rural Minnesota to perform IT work. Good Paying job in an area of Low Cost of Living. (By small I mean 700 or less population)

I expected I'd resume earning a Paycheck, something that was denied in Wisconsin by that awful company. Once the Founders left the entire culture of the company changed, for the worse.

I'll miss the Dells first off. That was a find family destination. We also liked Kensosha for the Dog Track. Love the Greyhounds. Cost efficent entertainment.

Milwaukee is a nice little burgh with some good culture. I'll miss the city. I will not miss the Oconomowoc Police force. All they ever did was write traffic tickets. When an actual crime happended they ignored it. Yikes! Lake Country Municipal court was almost entertainment. The judge running it gave a speech and then conducted court. Hum, awful white there too. Those suburbs aren't very mixed racially. Most blacks don't feel comfortable there, at least driving through it.

I won't miss driving through Chicago EVER. Any time I wanted to head East to Pennsylvania or Michigan where family remains, I had to circum-navigate Chicago. What a nightmare.

Life in Minnesota has been nothing short of Amazing. Small town life is so perfectly laid back. Everyone is so friendly. Yeah, I miss the city, but not much. I certainly don't miss that nasty company, FiSlave Inc.

One more thing; one wouldn't think of Milwaukee as polluted. As of my move to Minnesota, I've not had to use asthma medication at all. WTF? I could bearly exist without it there. Infact I couldn't. I was on so many medications I think I was keeping a pharmacy in business.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah! View Post
Wisconsin is extremely boring, ugly, depressing state with bad ever changing weather and boring, closed up people. Don't get me wrong most Wisconsinites are not bad natured, obnoxious or jerks but they are not very intellectual thus overall boring and not fun to be around. The whole state is obsessed with stupid football game and it seems like a pinnacle of their whole existence..and shopping, but if you ask for direction or something they will help no doubt.

Milwaukee area is all that plus crime. Generally speaking Milwaukee is a one big ghetto. Many say it's great and all but it's just because they live there and are biased or don't know any better. WI has a negative stigma for a reason. I mean common Brady street is fun and cool? You gotta be kidding me! It's a short narrow street with bunch of old, ugly, rustic businesses and non stop traffic. Sitting outside cafe, starring at traffic and inhaling car exhaust. You must have been blind or never get out to call that cool or fun. I feel sorry for these people

They just seems to put anything that comes to mind in the place without care about any style or architecture. The whole landscape is generally a one-two story high and going like this: Mc'D, Starbucks, Wal-Mart, Mall, Gas Station, Kohl's, Factory, Old Navy, Pick-n-Save, Bank, Mc'D, Starbucks, etc. Architecture is truly ugly and horrible in WI. Shopping seem to be primary form of entertainment there although there are no good stores like IKEA, Nordstrom and many others like in other states, only recently they put up very first Costco, Whole Foods and Trader's Joe. Pick-n-Save has a good monopoly on grocery business, driving others out

Main highlight of summer are numerous summer fests with loud, annoying, horrible rookie soft rock bands and bunch of bored, badly dressed fatties and obnoxious teens, who are also fat, walking around drinking watery beer and waiting for fireworks to begin. How fun!!! Not much in terms of refinement, culture divercity or sophistication. WI prides itself on beer and cheese, guess what? Both are tasteless. Roads are very bad due to weather and construction never stops. The whole state is one single speed trap, although most people are very bad, slow drivers, while real criminals running lose shooting people. In short it's a typical Midwest - very miserable, ugly, boring and depressing place to live. No matter how you sugarcoat it, it still sucks. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody, especially if you are young, outgoing and have some money.

P.S. The only positive thing about WI is not very bad parking situation.
Um, what did you expect? It's a CITY! It most certainly wasn't built in a day. I'll defend much of Milwaukee's topography.

And the HOOD? Some of my best friends lived there in the "hood". I had plenty of fun haning out there in the summer. All the neighborhood people hung out together. Get that? Together. That is more than I can say for any place I lived in my 13 years there. So what if there was crime there? Hey it is a depressed zone. Little in the way of jobs for young people. Lucky for the city so many families still exist there.

I resent that wise crack!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin