Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohnson View Post
I merely asked if you were one simply because you got so up in arms over the words drunken idiot. Never said you were one, so my bubble (whatever that means) hasn't been burst.

I find it ironic how you go on defending drinking while that is the same thing I am trying to get away from. Obviously you love to drink, and by extension that would color your opinion of Wisconsin. My opinion is colored by the negatives of drinking I have dealt with personally. And yes, I don't care for drinking but that doesn't mean I don't care for the people doing it. Also remember, I never called you anything negative, not a lair, drunk, or an idiot.

And that is where I'll leave it, you drink so Wisconsin is a good fit. I hope you enjoy your life here and be a little more understanding next time someone doesn't enjoy the same things you do.
Well, you're wrong again. I have no problem w/someone who doesn't enjoy the same things I do, why would I? My problem is your attitude, your negative attitude to be precise. But then again, I don't know you, so why should I care, right? My advice to you is if you expect positive feedback from the place you live, then try to tone down your discontent, that won't get you any friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 09:34 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohnson View Post
Crime wasn't a problem here until the jobs left and the meth came in. It isn't like I am afraid to walk anywhere or anything like that. Mostly just a lot of stealing going on and drug dealing. Unfortunately it is a story I hear of small towns elsewhere in this state and other mid-western states as well
You keep repeating this, and it's just so blatantly false and ridiculous.

1. The so-called "Meth epidemic" has been largely drummed up by the media, and isn't nearly as big as people think.

2. Outside of a few problem areas, crime in Wisconsin is not up drastically. THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT SPIKE IN WISCONSIN CRIME DUE TO METH! It's a ridiculous thing to say, and isn't backed up by facts.

And dont' even get me started on the stupid things you said about Milwaukee...

Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Default MKE to Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
who are the people that are leaving wisconsin, and why are you leaving it? where are you going? in what ways do you expect your lives to improve, or not, by the move?

what are the best/worst things about wisconsin IYO?

thanks!

Well, I think I will get back to the original topic...leaving WI. I lived about 2/3 of my life in SE WI and the Fox Valley, but had a decade in Southern Cal a few years back. I will likely be moving to Chicago next year for work. I'll miss WI, mainly for friends, but I also think it is a great place to raise a kid. We do mostly family things now, and MKE has a great zoo, childrens museum, Domes, lakefront, restaurants, and tons of great parks. MKE is also very easy to get around (especially after my time in LA). I seriously believe MKE is underrated as a city. I do think that moving to WI is difficult at first, and typically takes a year or two to feel comfortable and find a decent group of friends. My wife (originally not from WI) tells me that she feels it is more difficult to make "good" friends here than in SoCal (originally not from CA, either), as people here are already entrenched in there family and current group of friends. I have theories on that, that are completely unsubstantiated.

I have heard many people talk about the Packer craze in WI, but I have found that people talk about just about anything here...I bring up a topic and we have pretty interesting conversations. While I like the Packers, I watch maybe 5 games a year. I have lots of friends that live in WI from all over the world, which probably helps with rarely talking about the Pack...although I do like to talk about the Brewers.

I am a little nervous about our move to the burbs of Chicago, mainly for my kids and my wife...not that metro Chicago is bad, I actually like it, it is just that I hope to find the right place for them to be happy. I am a little concerned about the size of some of the high schools, but that may be because I went to a high school 1/3 the size of the schools down there. Overall, it maybe better, it may be worse, I don't really know. I know my wife is excited about being in a larger city and I am not excited about paying 10.25% sales tax or paying to drive in the highways. In the end, I am sure we will be happy, as I feel we are pretty adaptable, open-minded, and friendly. I do hope we make friends like we have here, though.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
almost3am
Wife and I are both WI born and bred. At 47, we moved from Sussex WI to Arlington Heights; 9 months ago. New job brought us here. Our kids are grown so that was not an issue.

The Chicago area, while different than SE WI, has a lot of good points. I can elaborate more if you care.

Have you started perusing the IL version of this site?

Old 10-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
almost3am
Wife and I are both WI born and bred. At 47, we moved from Sussex WI to Arlington Heights; 9 months ago. New job brought us here. Our kids are grown so that was not an issue.

The Chicago area, while different than SE WI, has a lot of good points. I can elaborate more if you care.

Have you started perusing the IL version of this site?

CC,
I would be quite interested in hearing your views. I found the site about a month or so ago when I started getting serious about the move. I have been reading bits and pieces of the Chicago Suburb section almost daily now as I build a list of different cities we want to investigate. I seem to have tons of questions that I am trying to get different viewpoints on...housing, commuting, schools, safety, etc...probably the normal things that people think about prior to a move.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2008, 05:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
almost3am: if nothing else you can avoid the 10.25% sales tax by not living in Chicago. In the rest of Cook County it's 9.25%; once you get out into the collar counties (DuPage, Will, Lake, Kane, McHenry), it drops considerably, to as low as 7% depending on county and municipality. There's a handy website here that will tell you the total sales tax rate in any given municipality in Illinois, adding up all state, county and municipal sales tax rates. Just click on the "start" button and away you go. And if they seem a little high compared to what you're used to up in Wisconsin, also take into consideration that our income tax rate is a lot lower at a flat 3%.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM

Thanks Drover, that is a sweet site. The income tax rate should help a bunch, I guess in the end the government takes our money one way or the other...

Old 11-02-2008, 02:07 PM

60 posts, read 182,788 times
My spouse and I left Milwaukee for the Northwest Chicago burbs for more opportunities, better public schools and smaller real estate taxes.

Before we had children, we enjoyed living in Milwaukee on Lake Shore Drive. We were a short walk to the bars and the festivals; we were an easy drive to the ballet and milwaukee shakespeare; and we vacationed "up North" in Door County during August and on Whitecap Mountain in February. We had a great life.

Once we had children, we realized that Milwaukee was not a child friendly city. We considered the burbs around Milwaukee but they seemed very disconnected from the city. We chose Barrington, IL because of its good schools, family friendly community, easy access to Chicago and superb financial opportunities. But we still go "up North" for winter and summer vacations.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:02 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
Default A Different Point of View

Wow! Reading so many of these posts really depressed me. I'm new to Wisconsin, after living my entire life in "America's Finest City"...San Diego.

I agree about the winters (they're harsh), and I agree about the drinking in Wisconsin. I HAVE noticed a very high rate of drinking and alcoholism (especially amongst 20-somethings) than I never witnessed in San Diego.

But the "grass is always greener" syndrome applies to just about everybody in every city. There's something to complain about no matter where we live. No city is perfect, and we always think that if we could just get somewhere else, we'd be happier.

Now I could go to the San Diego forum and completely bash San Diego, because I couldn't wait to get out of that place. And yet, there are San Diegan's who'd think I'm crazy for feeling this way.

It's all subjective, and it's all a matter of what your priorities are. For me, Wisconsin is home now, and while the winters are a challenge, there are so many things I love about this state, that I'm managing the winters just fine.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:11 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Great info here at City-Data, almost3am. People are willing to help and will be glad to PM or email you I'm sure for more details.

If you don't have to live in Cook county I would avoid that and this would save you money as Drover says. Yes, schools are big in burbs but alot of them have the best ratings in the state.

I left Illinois just to get small town life, a safer environment, less congestion, as I get older. I'm 61 and had no one to consider but myself. You do not hear me overly bashing Illinois though I left there. It just wasn't the lifestyle I want now and Wisconsin is a better fit for me. With a family and a job to consider, Illinois is not bad. After all, alot of the major employers in NE Illinois employ people from Wisconsin.

Living in the burbs you can take advantage of Chicago on the weekends as going in on the train is cheap and Chicago can keep you busy every weekend. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin