Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:48 PM

994 posts, read 1,832,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well it's not that I hate working with men. It's just that I hate how they only want to talk about sports most of the time. It makes me feel too different. I enjoy talking about pretty much anything other than sports. But I am not into sports or cars at all. I would rather talk about computers, technology, politics, traveling, working out, and many more topics. There are guys out there who enjoy those subjects as well.
Right, so have you initiated conversations with them on those topics? People love talking about themselves, so maybe if you were creative, like for instance when they ask you "Did you watch the Bulls game last night?" and you say, "No, I don't watch basketball, but are you a Bulls fan? Are you from Chicago?" Then most likely they will tell you yes or no, tell you where they are from and then ask them or probe them about where they grew up, how did they like it, if you have been there share your experiences, etc. I get the feeling that you kind of expect them to just come to you and talk about things YOU like. It doesn't work that way. I highly doubt that your male coworkers only talk about sports when they are at work, with friends, with their significant other, family, etc. I am sure they talk about other things.

You never know maybe some of them are sick of talking about sports and would like it if one of the other guys would talk about something else for a change, and maybe that someone could be you. Just quit your whining already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Most women I know obsess about sports too. It's a sickening culture when masses of people can adore people who catch a ball in tights and a space-helmet.

Quote:
I am a 26 year old male and much prefer working with women over men. From my experience, men tend to have more egos and lack any sort of emotion whatsoever. All they want to talk about is sports, and I HATE sports! I don't know anything or care about anything related to sports. I can have better conversations with women about life in general. Of course, that's not to say all men are like that. There are exceptions. For example, my department consists of 9 men (including myself) and 6 women. Of the 9 men, I only really connect well with about 3 of them. Of the women, I connect well with all of them. Is something wrong with me? Or do other people have the same experiences working with men?

Again, the primary reason I hate working with men is that they want to talk about sports 100% of the time, and it pisses me off.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM

I don't understand why so many people have this sickening hate and view that sports are pathetic. Humans have been watching spectator sports since the times of the Romans, even the Native Americans played their own sport, Lacrosse.

It's okay if you don't like sports, but some of you act that if you like sports and are passionate about them that there is something wrong with you. I like sports and I am very passionate about basketball and football. I don't like baseball (well I like playing it but not watching it) but I don't hate or look down on people that are passionate about baseball. I get the feeling some of you were always picked last when it came to gym class....

Old 05-11-2011, 05:28 PM

298 posts, read 389,944 times
I like watching mens basketball... such hot bods

Old 05-11-2011, 05:58 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Hey guy, let it go...........why don't you go hang with the gals when they go shoe shopping.

Just because YOU don't like sports, the makes us all pathetic.

As I said before: It's all about you.

Seriously.......you did not see The Bulls game last night?

How about the Redwings.....they forced a game 7.....you missed a good one.
Amen-I cannot believe the Redwings pulled it out again-oops am I pathetic?

Seriously, why are you complaining because you don't like sports and people ask you...just say "no, I really don't have time to watch sports" end of story....people may be just trying to socialize-

Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
I don't think it's an issue of not liking to work around men, but a matter of not liking to work around men who don't share your personality, hobbies or interests.

It's as simple as that. No need to bring gender into it when it's just a matter of people don't tend to feel compatible with those with different preferences.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I don't think it's an issue of not liking to work around men, but a matter of not liking to work around men who don't share your personality, hobbies or interests.

It's as simple as that. No need to bring gender into it when it's just a matter of people don't tend to feel compatible with those with different preferences.
Exactly, the OP's attitude seems to be all about him. Apparently he wants to be friends with them or something, because if the OP didn't really care about them, the OP just wouldn't care it's simple as that. People I am not interested in, I could care less about what they talk about. It sounds like the OP wants to be part of the group but has found out the group is not like him. It's a very self absorbed attitude, and I think he needs to focus his energy elsewhere.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post

Best post in the thread.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
If I was able to revise the title of this thread, I would revise it to "I hate working with men who only want to talk about sports most of the time." Geez.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
If I was able to revise the title of this thread, I would revise it to "I hate working with men who only want to talk about sports most of the time." Geez.
Well you have to admit, that your title thread was pretty loaded. It implied that you hate working with men because they talk about sports.

I hope you are taking some of the advice the people have posted here, because I still get the feeling that you have a "The problem is not me, it's them" attitude which I think most people here can see it really is you who is the problem. People aren't trying to be mean, they are just being honest.

That's my last piece of advice and input as it seems you just want people to agree with you. I leave you with that.

Go Bulls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment