Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:52 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times

Advertisements

You have to start somewhere.

I started sweeping floors and cleaning popcorn machines at Busch Gardens. I did a good job and convinced my bosses I was too smart for that and underutilized.

So then I was a cashier. I did a good job and convinced my bosses I was too smart for that and underutilized.

Then I was a ride operator. I did a good job and convinced my bosses I was too smart for that and underutilized.

Then I was a security officer. I did a good job and convinced my bosses I was too smart for that and underutilized.

Then I was in lower management. I did a good job and convinced my bosses I was too smart for that and underutilized.

Then I had money for college and law school. Now I'm the boss and I get to decide who is too smart or underutilized, but even better, I get paid to make other people do my work for me while I appear to be wise and knowledgeable.

It takes a few years. Be patient, be persistent and most importantly, do a good job at whatever you do, no matter how menial it may be at first.

People aren't just going to hand you your dream job for free. You have to prove your worth at every stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
A few days ago, the OP wanted to move to Australia and work on aircraft.
That's until I found out you needed 3 years of prior military experience

Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
The community college I applied for wanted you to pay for them... I don't see any classes offered there for free
You have to ask around. It's not something they advertise - obviously, because you're getting something for free. If everybody knew about it they'd never make any money.

You're wondering how to start a life. One of the thing's you're going to have to learn is how to sleuth around and find what you need. As an adult, things don't come easy - as you're learning. You have to realize that people in general honestly don't give a crap about you. YOU have to love yourself enough, give a crap about yourself, and be resourceful, and never give up. Nobody is going to hold your hand for you. Every day you just gotta get up, dust yourself off, and keep at it. Eventually things can get easier but it takes a lot of hard work to get to that place first.

One of the cruel lessons I've learned about life, at least in my experience, is that when you're down and suffering you get kicked and spit on or ignored or brushed aside, but when you get yourself up out of that hole and you're doing well (which is very, very hard) - THAT'S when people start to notice you and respect you and offer help or want to be friends. It's just one of those sick twists in life. You never really get the help you need when you need it, but when you don't need it anymore you have more than you need. (This is just my own personal experience though, hopefully it's different for other people! ) It has made me wiser and stronger, though, so for that I am grateful.

The military is swamped with applicants/recruits right now from what I understand. The people I know who have signed up are being told they have a year or a year and a half to wait. It's still a good option if that's something that someone wants to do, but you also need to have something for in the meantime.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:47 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
That's until I found out you needed 3 years of prior military experience
You need 4 prior years of experience in a trade or profession that is considered in demand over there to move there. I was pretty close to moving 6 months ago, but decided America has a few more years of life in her... Get your experience in something and then you can consider a move if you want to give Australia a try. Just remember to check your shoes for scorpions when you start living your dream

Old 08-03-2011, 04:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Where do you want to work?

What do you want to do?

What kind of life do you want to live?

Why choose the available options?

Your life is what you make of it. Why settle? I just don't see that as an option for someone just starting out.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
Finding a job is a full time job. That means you get up early every work day and look for work, that is your job. No one is going to knock on your door and offer you a job.

Joining the air force may be the answer. You can learn disapline and further your education, all at the taxpayers expense.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Now I'm the boss and I get to decide who is too smart or underutilized, but even better, I get paid to make other people do my work for me while I appear to be wise and knowledgeable.

It takes a few years. Be patient, be persistent and most importantly, do a good job at whatever you do, no matter how menial it may be at first.

People aren't just going to hand you your dream job for free. You have to prove your worth at every stage.

Right there ^ in Bold Text.... is the most important way to get ahead in Corporate America. It works.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
I live at home by the way

But, my parents have jobs and my brothers go to school. I'm just sitting at home.

I'll look into the military, and see where it leads me. I'll join either the Navy, or the Air Force. I hope the world doesn't end while I'm in the military, but we'll see... (I don't entirely believe the world ending in 2012 garbage)

Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Right there ^ in Bold Text.... is the most important way to get ahead in Corporate America. It works.
He did not get ahead by having anybody do his work for him. Notice how he started on the bottom, worked hard for somebody else, and moved up. That is how he got ahead.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:04 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
[quote=Kevdawgg;20234269]I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to make the life long commitment

Kev! It is NOT a lifelong commitment. It is FOUR YEARS active duty, then some time in the Reserves (four years or six years, depending on the service). FOUR YEARS OF EMPLOYMENT where you do not have to worry about a roof over your head, or about how to get a meal, or clothing! FOUR years is long enough to actually learn a skill. More importantly, sticking it out as if your life depends on it is a respected credential when you get out.

Go get acquainted with the recruiting offices of the four branches of the Service. That would be the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines. See which outfit you feel most comfortable with. Develop a relationship with the recruiter - they all have after-work programs where they tell potential enlistees what to expect. And, the recruiters are chosen because they reflect the particular 'flavor' of their particular branch well.

Once you are a part of something larger than you are, working in a purposeful team, you will feel entirely differently about your prospects in life! You will carry yourself much differently.

After you serve your first tour of duty, you can get OUT. OR stay in. If you do not re-enlist, your Reserve duty is a network - you will make friends there who will help you into civilian life, tell you about their workplaces, maybe give you a leg up. Plus which, you get PAID for time you spend on duty in the Reserves.

Young man, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. At least, go find out for yourself about the branches of the armed forces. Right now, you are working from a position of ignorance. It doesn't have to be that way.

Best to you - good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment