Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 AM

123 posts, read 245,647 times

Advertisements

Kevdawgg, have you actually visited an army recruitment center. Don't be so negative. Unless you ask around for financial aid or explore your enlisting options nothing's going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
I guess that employers are choosing non english speaking (maybe some that speak basic english) hispanic illegals over me.

Trust me. I visit Wal-Mart, McDonalds, etc. and see the kind of people that works there. I am an American citizen with a high school diploma, and they end up rejecting me. This is bu11$h!t.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 PM

I'm trying to get a job that normal high school grads get (cashier, dishwasher, etc.)

Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Do you plan on taking ANY of the good advice being offered here, or is your plan to keep doing the same thing over and over again that has not worked?

Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwichester View Post
Kevdawgg, have you actually visited an army recruitment center. Don't be so negative. Unless you ask around for financial aid or explore your enlisting options nothing's going to change.
I would visit a recruiter office. But I'm in the process of losing weight because I did some research, and they had height/weight standards. (meaning that you have to be within a certain weight in your height). Getting in shape seems no problem to me because I could do Insanity or P90X.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Regarding criminal convictions, I only had a few hours of probation or community service for something not serious. Other than that, I'm squeaky clean. I haven't done anything else bad.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 PM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I just looked up Job Corps. They have an office *in Reno*.
OP would have to take the ASVAB ?) test for the military, and would have to do well enough to be considered. Sounds like that might be an issue. I've read all the good suggestions and do agree that Job Corps is the only best way to go- nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times
I'm starting to think Kevdawgg doesn't want to do anything that requires actually being proactive. My sympathy for him is waning.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Plenty of kids are graduating from college and can't get a job either. You are competing for the job at Starbucks with someone with a Masters degree.
It's a numbers game. If you apply for 100 jobs, you have a better chance than if you apply for 10.

I agree that the military is a great opportunity for young people who need training. If its not for you, then go to a Community College. Most states offer financial help to those who can't afford it. (My husband just went to a 10 week course to get a CDL, and I think he was the only sap in the class who actually paid for the course.) Take a course which will get you certified to do something quickly, like truck driving or some kind of technician or warehousing, etc. That is where the jobs are these days. Once you have one, you will have time to ponder on other options.
DO NOT use your parents as an excuse. Plenty of kids without parents have scraped their way to the top and you can too. Spend 40 hours a week researching schools and financial options, and try to get a mentor. Let's say you have a huge Walmart warehouse near you. If you could talk to the supervisor there, and ask him what qualifications he wants the people he hires to have, he might take you under his wing.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I would visit a recruiter office. But I'm in the process of losing weight because I did some research, and they had height/weight standards. (meaning that you have to be within a certain weight in your height). Getting in shape seems no problem to me because I could do Insanity or P90X.
dude, you made this thread last summer, you still dont have a job? what the hell man? have you tried a temp agency? how can you be 20 years old and not have ANY job experience? most teenagers actually try to find work while they are in high school. me? i had no choice, a single mother cant get by on a crappy wage job by herself, so i had to help her out starting at the age of 15. i have three jobs and i attend night classes at a university. there are jobs out there, but not everyone posts them. cold calling works. call every restaurant in a 10 mile radius and ask them if they are hiring busboys or dishwashers, thats how i managed to land work at 16. i didnt have a car then so i rode a bike to work, in the rain & snow. as soon as you land part time work, apply for a credit card, or have your parents put a credit card in your name so you can start paying for classes at a community college.

what are you good at? maybe you could find some work online doing data entry or marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment