Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_Control View Post
I'm beginning to think that these types are the people who get handed the most opportunities. Sometimes it seems like the more competent you are the fewer opportunities you get. I see this happen all the time.
The only logical explanation I can come up with is that "screw ups" take more risks.
The guy is probably very good at his job.
Seems like he's not very tactful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I wonder if he is looking for a place to coast, based on his absurd questions.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 AM

155 posts, read 244,392 times
Quote:
True. I think that lack of tact can be a good thing in 2012. Here we are on page 10 of this thread all because of a couple of small questions that some guy asked during an interview. I bet the OP secretly wants to hire the guy anyway. Heck, I bet the OP will hire the guy! Coffee leaves a bad taste in my mouth but I still drink it all the time.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM

219 posts, read 439,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Riddle me this......are you getting paid any more then the workers you are bashing because your "customers love you"? No, your company is reaping the rewards of that.
You are right. Due to globalism, there is a fundamental decoupling of the employee, employer relationship. There was a saying, 'whats good for GM is good for Detroit'. It's not that way anymore. There is no mutual benefit, it's a one-way totalitarian work environment.

Now as for myself I'd probably do a good job anyway. Once we all fall into the trap of 'I'm only doing my job', society degenerates. There is something to be said for doing the right thing, even if you aren't rewarded.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I personally think that if someone exceeds his/her expectations for the position, than it doesn't matter how few hours he puts in or how many vacation days he takes.

What happened to rewarding efficiency?

Face time means nothing if employees will just play games or chat on Facebook to do their time. In fact, unnecessarily long face time will sap away energy and needed rest for the next day's work.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
You do know that there are people who work fewer hours but do the job better and more efficiently, don't you? As a manager, I don't want people putting in a lot of extra hours because it means one of 2 things:

Employee is inefficient and/or not getting proper training
Employee is overloaded so I need to cut back/re-distribute so they can actually have a life outside of work.
...obviously some people work fewer hours and get more done. That being said, asking what the minimum you have to do on the job in the interview is an indication that the candidate is not a hard worker. It doesn't guarantee it, but it definitely is an indicator.

Some jobs actually require someone to work overtime every once in a while, and I do not want an employee who would refuse to help during busy times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I have always been one of the most productive employees at every job Ive had. In most cases the only thing I got was more work. At one job, apparently my efficiency led them to believe that my job was simple and I could be replaced, since I got laid off.

The only exception to that is when I worked at a sub shop, where I actually ended up getting promoted in to a supervisor position. However, the added responsibility was clearly not worth the .25 more an hour I got for a raise, and I would have rather been doing alot less, for .25 less an hour.
Were you actually the most productive (your boss made that claim), or did you just think you were the most productive? If you got laid off instead of your co-workers, I find it hard to believe you were adding the most value to the company.

Quote:
I think the big problem "suit types" cant comprehend is the measurement of the value of front line employees. They think that because the job is relatively low skilled, and can be quickly trained, that the position has little to no value, and hiring a complete waste of space to fill the void is worth it because money could be better spent somewhere else.
This is very untrue, and just shows how ignorant you are of what goes into the day to day job of "suit types"

Quote:
Guess what, that "warm body", who could care less about his job, is busy losing hundreds of customers and destroying high priced equipment.

I wonder, at the end of the day, what costs more, that, or paying him a few bucks more an hour.
We have done those calculations, and we know what costs more. This is obviously part of the decision of what to pay someone.

This is also why formal processes and systems are in place. You don't give that low level employee the option to do fiscal harm.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I wonder if he is looking for a place to coast, based on his absurd questions.
He's been there eight years already so clearly they like him. He also might know the history of people who have worked under the OP.

Like I said he did a horrible job of framing the question but they are answers that most would like to know before starting a job.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
He's been there eight years already so clearly they like him. He also might know the history of people who have worked under the OP.

Like I said he did a horrible job of framing the question but they are answers that most would like to know before starting a job.
No, they are not. If the question were "what is the median hours expected"? as opposed to minimum, perhaps.

But the first interview is hardly the place for it. One wants to show the employer why they are the best person for the job, not the worst. He did the latter.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
No, they are not. If the question were "what is the median hours expected"? as opposed to minimum, perhaps.

But the first interview is hardly the place for it. One wants to show the employer why they are the best person for the job, not the worst. He did the latter.
Right...get a job offer first, then discuss hours/vacation/benefits/pay/etc. Start those negotiations after they have made the first move and offered you something.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:

I've already said he framed the question poorly. How many hours expected to work is a question everyone wants to know. You can also get that answer in a much better way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment