Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 04:34 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
You're really reaching.

The OP clearly stated that she was being introduced to the woman for the first time. I can't think of a reason a co-worker would have access to a resume.

And so what she doesn't have an accent? LOL You are discounting the only rational reason a stranger would have for asking the question and making up weird reasons instead.

And none of this excuses the real problematic statement, which if you don't get by now yiu never will.

I wonder why the OP isn't given the same benefit of the doubt.

First off, and from experience, the co-worker may very well have had access to the OPs resume if said co-worker was apart of the review process of the OPs hire, i.e. many companies have an admin review resumes for required qualifications prior to passing them on to the hiring manager. The co-worker could have also been the admin who is tasked with running the background check of newly hired employees.

Second off, there MUST be a valid reason for the co-worker to have asked the question she asked. No one would arbitrarily ask another person that question unless there was a reason for their obvious curiosity and it doesn't necessarily have to be an obvious accent.

What is problematic are the folks on this thread making this out to be a racist thing when it obviously was not and the majority of the posters agree that it was not racist.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:45 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
How is this racism? All I see is curiosity coupled with some ignorance. Life is so much harder if you chose to take offense on small things.
That's only true if you don't get off on being offended.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:51 PM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
First off, and from experience, the co-worker may very well have had access to the OPs resume if said co-worker was apart of the review process of the OPs hire, i.e. many companies have an admin review resumes for required qualifications prior to passing them on to the hiring manager. The co-worker could have also been the admin who is tasked with running the background check of newly hired employees.

Second off, there MUST be a valid reason for the co-worker to have asked the question she asked. No one would arbitrarily ask another person that question unless there was a reason for their obvious curiosity and it doesn't necessarily have to be an obvious accent.

What is problematic are the folks on this thread making this out to be a racist thing when it obviously was not and the majority of the posters agree that it was not racist.
I just re-read the OP and saw that the coworker said, "well, with your background..." so she did know something about the OP.

Maybe his resume said "translator", lol.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:54 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just re-read the OP and saw that the coworker said, "well, with your background..." so she did know something about the OP.

Maybe his resume said "translator", lol.
That's what I was saying in my previous posts, the OP is not telling the whole story because there was an obvious reason why the co-worker would ask such a question. I think the OP is race baiting

Old 01-15-2015, 05:06 PM

720 posts, read 705,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Lighten up! That's called conversation. Not racism. Please!!! Do you have any accent by any chance? And before you accuse me of being racist, many people have accents they may have picked up from their parents.
So many sheeple have been programed to look at every little thing as Racist, most do not have a clue what the correct definition of racism is. When will people learn that laws and regulations will not cause anyone to like or accept another, on the contrary, it causes resentment. There will always be those who will never like someone because of their race, but there are enough of us who believes everyone is equal to make up for those with a closed mind. Our laws should be the same for everyone regardless of race, without special exemptions.......

Old 01-15-2015, 06:17 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times
I am sure your co-worker feels bad about it now since you gave her the death stare. Nice, tit for tat with the exception she made a mistake and you purposefully tried to make her feel awkward. Nice.
You know, older men treat me like a ditsy blonde all the time despite the fact I have an advanced degree and can hold my own in any conversation with any person. I don't get offended when they tell me dumb blonde jokes.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:56 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe she looked at your last name and your appearance,and thought you were an immigrant.

Who knows,but why label the woman a racist?

You are not getting off on a good start......

Maybe she was just trying to have dialogue?

Maybe she also speaks the langauge she thought you spoke and wanted to find common ground?

Trust,if she was TRULY racist then she would not have said anything to you at all.

I find the true racists do not talk to people of other races at all.

I was going to just pass this one over until I read ' if she was TRULY racist then she would not have said anything'.....where does this kind of thinking come from?

Frankly, many people just don't know how ordinary, everyday racism works. It's like when people talk about the police. Their oddball notion is that a racist cop gets up in the morning planning to go out there and kick some black behind. So based on this false premise, they say things like ' so race-baiters think that the people just go out there, grab a donut, and beat the streets looking for blacks to beat up'.

That is not the way everyday racism works. In fact, on the job, racists tend to be insidiously vocal around the black element that intrudes upon their workplace "family". They tend to instigate weird dialogues that have a way of making the black person feel ill at ease - knowing that the black person CANNOT respond assertively or defensively, else they find themselves in trouble - and being maliciously characterized on their review as being "defensive" or "difficult to work with" -which you could say is "NOT GETTING OFF TO A GOOD START".

Racists also do what is know among blacks as "broadcasting". That means bring up controversial social-political topics with other white co-workers within earshot of the black person in order to create a hostile environment.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:01 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
That's what I was saying in my previous posts, the OP is not telling the whole story because there was an obvious reason why the co-worker would ask such a question. I think the OP is race baiting
Would an OBVIOUS reason be, let say LOOKING ASIAN, OR HISPANIC, OR SOMETHING ELSE - but speaking with a run-of-the-mill midwestern AMERICAN accent?

Old 01-15-2015, 07:15 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
The word "racist/ racism" lost its original meaning, long ago. I bet most of these repeating it like mantra don't know what racism is. "You don't like my pants? Hey, you're a racist"

For me, its sad to see such a large population getting stuck in this mindset (aka - racism at any corner). How can someone do anything - work, learn, socialize, start a family, make progress in life - if the entire mankind is racist and against you?

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-15-2015 at 07:46 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I was going to just pass this one over until I read ' if she was TRULY racist then she would not have said anything'.....where does this kind of thinking come from?
From those of us who know what real racism is, as oppposed to the garden variety academic greivance politics racism currently in vogue among the priveledged classes of minority descent.

Quote:
Frankly, many people just don't know how ordinary, everyday racism works. It's like when people talk about the police. Their oddball notion is that a racist cop gets up in the morning planning to go out there and kick some black behind. So based on this false premise, they say things like ' so race-baiters think that the people just go out there, grab a donut, and beat the streets looking for blacks to beat up'.
Well, that actually IS how racism really works. A person in a position of power from one ethnic background looks to keep in place or put in place another person of a different ethnic background based simply on ethnic background. Abuse of power against the powerless minority for no other reason than the person is a member of the minority... Sounds a lot like racism and how racism works to me.

Quote:
That is not the way everyday racism works. In fact, on the job, racists tend to be insidiously vocal around the black element that intrudes upon their workplace "family". They tend to instigate weird dialogues that have a way of making the black person feel ill at ease - knowing that the black person CANNOT respond assertively or defensively, else they find themselves in trouble - and being maliciously characterized on their review as being "defensive" or "difficult to work with" -which you could say is "NOT GETTING OFF TO A GOOD START".
This is just silly. You are ascribing to whites the ability to read the minds of minorities and know what makes them uncomfortable, and then begin conversations with their peers, based on that knowledge, for the purpose of making minorities uncomfortable. That line thinking is so convoluted that one would have to be an academic to believe it, much less think it makes sense!

Sometimes people just talk about things, and how others react or don't react has nothing to do with the conversation. Sometimes I feel ill at ease around conversations, and have to bite my tongue because of the setting. It's not insidious racism everywhere, it's the reality of being in a group of people with differing experiences, backgrounds, educations, and values. EVERYBODY is an outsider sometimes.

Quote:
Racists also do what is know among blacks as "broadcasting". That means bring up controversial social-political topics with other white co-workers within earshot of the black person in order to create a hostile environment.
So, if I am near a group of blacks speaking eubonics/slang and discussing Eric Holder not prosecuting Black Panthers for voter intimidation, are they "broadcasting" to make me feel uncomfortable and create a hostile environment, or are they discussing an issue they feel is important to them as a group, and they haven't given me a single thought? My bet is they haven't given me a single thought, sort of like the example you use for "broadcasting" as racism.

People have different veiws, and see things from different perspectives, and have different values. That used to be called "diversity" not "racism." Engaging in discussions about those views, perspectives, and values is the ONLY way people can come to understand each other. That used to be called "conversation" not "racism."

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 01-15-2015 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.