Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 05:41 PM

137 posts, read 100,929 times

Advertisements

So.... you're jealous because other people have made choices in life that you didn't make and live a quality of life that you wish you had, but don't. You just need to accept that the choices you've made in life are why you are where you are. If you don't like it, change it. If you do like it, quit worrying about people who've made different choices.

Maybe delete your Facebook. Life is too short to get upset about such petty things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
I am sure staying at home is not easy but I do get annoyed when they act like it is the hardest thing in the world to do. Many times they try and act like things like doing laundry,going shopping or cleaning the house is the hardest thing in the world to do and takes all their time up. They take effort sure but they are not hard by any means and you should not have to do those things all the time if you are efficient.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:49 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
they try and act like things like doing laundry,going shopping or cleaning the house is the hardest thing in the world to do and takes all their time up.
This ^^

Old 11-20-2015, 09:51 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
It's rather amusing that the moms who work full-time and still find time to take care of the house have turned on the 100% SAHMs lol. Better to let those two groups duke it out.

*grabs popcorn and watches*

Old 11-28-2015, 07:51 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metzger7047 View Post
First, I hate the title of stay at home mom, it is a freaking sentence. I prefer housewife, but I'm retro that way. I work more now at home with the kids than I ever did working full time in human resources. If taking care of children all day isn't work, then why is everybody complaining about how much daycare costs. They charge so much for a reason, it's hard work.
But guess what. Those of us that work do everything you do in addition to working a full time job. It's as if it's assumed that anyone that works doesn't also have to care for the children and keep the house in order.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:54 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I am sure staying at home is not easy but I do get annoyed when they act like it is the hardest thing in the world to do. Many times they try and act like things like doing laundry,going shopping or cleaning the house is the hardest thing in the world to do and takes all their time up. They take effort sure but they are not hard by any means and you should not have to do those things all the time if you are efficient.
It's not like the house needs cleaned from top to bottom day in and say out. I can spend an hour or so a day three or four days a week on chores and my house is always clean.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:26 PM

95 posts, read 101,646 times
I always thought I had 2 full time jobs. The first full time job was the one that I went out and earned a living. Worked a 40 hr week job.
the 2nd job was being a wife and a mother. My husband worked 60 hr a week job compaired to my 40 hr a week job. It was a full time job being a wife and mother. I would have dinner on the table by the time hubby walked in the door. house cleaned and laundry done etc not to mention raising our daughter.

Today we are both retired and our daughter is married with children of her own she now says mom how did you do it all those years when I was growing up. now that she has to do the same thing she is finding it to be much harder to work full time and raise her 2 children and keep hubby happy!

Old 11-28-2015, 01:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
From the point of view of one who did hiring for a company, I would want a potential candidate for a job to list SAHM on her resume not for the purpose of job skills but so I would know the time for which she would be accountable just as if she were working outside the home. Otherwise there would be a gap on the resume and no prospective employer wants to see that.

During the time she was a SAHM of course I would want to see whatever time was spent outside the home like volunteering, part time or full time job etc just as any other accountable time spent.

But would I consider taking care of kids and housework a job? No. Not unless she were applying for domestic work. I would look for the skills that suited the job for which she was applying. That's what employers do. Wrangling kids is not the same as dealing with adults in the business world.

I look at SAHM's as those women who are in business for themselves. I appreciate it's a tough job. It's never ending. I couldn't do it. But she is her own boss much of the time and the rest a partner with someone else. It's not at all the same as punching a clock and having to answer to an HR department that dictates rules and regulations from everything to the hours you are in place to what you must wear to the money you earn to whether or not you can have time off for vacation or to go to the doctor or your kid's soccer game.

Being a SAHM is more a responsibility than a job.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:13 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
It's not like the house needs cleaned from top to bottom day in and say out. I can spend an hour or so a day three or four days a week on chores and my house is always clean.
But do you have children home all day in the house messing it up? I will say that when I worked outside the home, the house stayed clean all day. There was no one home in it. Once I started staying home, though, the toddler just created one mess after another. Granted, it's not like that once the kids are bigger, but staying home with a toddler and a preschooler is nothing like keeping a house clean when your kids are in daycare all day (or once they're big enough to not make messes and throw tantrums).

Old 11-28-2015, 02:19 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
But do you have children home all day in the house messing it up?
Children make messes sure but it is not like every mess is a huge one that takes hours to clean. Cleaning up spills, picking up toys does not take that much time and when they get older they learn to pick up after themselves and do chores so you have less to do. Many messes can be avoided by watching the child closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment